Wind Screen Comparison - CalSci vs. Yamaha Touring - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortenk View Post

Interesting. I also have the two screens you mention, but ride with the Yamaha screen most of the time. I get a lot of extra mechanical noise from the CalSci (when passing bumps etc.) - have you noticed anything like that. Just seems like the fit isn't that great in my case. Also, can you lower the screen all the way down? Mine actually hits the fairing, so have to be careful when I lower it. I am thinking of re-shaping the lower end to avoid this problem, but have not yet done anything about it.
No extra mechanical noise that I could tell, but then I wear ear plugs or ear buds when I ride. That being said, I did notice that at speed (120 km/h) when I ducked down I could hear a distinct "woosh" sound of the air passing through the triangular slot near the bottom. Not annoying at all but I'm thinking that's the air flow that reduces back pressure and buffeting. I read some concerns regarding fit an finish but my Cal Sci screen doesn't have any sharp edges and doesn't scrape the fairing when in the lowest position as others have noticed. It is the Large and if I was to get another I might try the Medium.

Zwartie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
On this topic: I purchased a Yamaha Touring screen and am not really impressed with it...mostly because it's very 'floppy' and puts a lot of torque on those plastic screws I'm sure...I also find there's really no noticeable difference in wind protection or wind noise. For now I'm back on the stock screen because of the summer heat...maybe I'll think differently once I get into the Fall riding, but I dont see any improvement coming in the floppyness of the touring screen.
I noticed that as well with the Yamaha Touring Screen. When I went to remove it I found one of the plastic mounting screw heads had snapped off. Not surprised. The Cal Sci screen is noticeably lighter than the Yamaha Touring screen.

Zwartie
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Let me add that my touring screen on my 14a gen3 when ridden alongside some trucks will bend & flex a lot, several inch’s, I was quite surprised the first time it happened, I figured the screen would just rip off. I can’t remember what position it was in but if i am remembering correctly certain “dump” trucks seem to be what contributes to it.

I really like my yamaha touring screen but am really surprised at how much it can flex/flop around in certain conditions.
ReRose likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 AM
FJR Top Gun

Yea my Yamaha touring screen seems to have a lot of flex, but it's taller and the top is long way from the mounting screws so it only makes sense that it would flex more than a shorter screen. My summer shorty screen which is 10" shorter than the touring screen doesn't flex at all lol.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 09:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Shimming it will allow more air under it and reduce flexing. OEM windshields are Lexan (polycarbonate), almost indestructible.... most others are acrylic.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
I noticed that as well with the Yamaha Touring Screen. When I went to remove it I found one of the plastic mounting screw heads had snapped off. Not surprised. The Cal Sci screen is noticeably lighter than the Yamaha Touring screen.

Zwartie
We must have very different CalSci screens. My CalSci is very heavy and very rigid, and it's also a lot bigger than my Yamaha Touring screen...

2016 ES
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The calsci I bought was double the weight of my Yamaha touring screen, had unfinished edges, and required tuning for the screw holes to line up. They’re a big bag full of **** no for me. I’ve had a number of screens. The calsci was the only one that had quality issues.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
The calsci I bought was double the weight of my Yamaha touring screen, had unfinished edges, and required tuning for the screw holes to line up. They’re a big bag full of **** no for me. I’ve had a number of screens. The calsci was the only one that had quality issues.
Weird - Sounds like mortenk had a very similar experience. Which generation FJRs? Mine is an '06 (gen 2) - the mounting holes lined up perfectly and there were no issues with the finish either. The screen does not hit the fairing or mirrors at all. It's the exact same length as the Yamaha Touring screen and a bit wider at the bottom. My cousin has an '09 and he also switched from the Yamaha Touring screen to the Cal Sci and is just as pleased with the results. Seems like Cal Sci may have an issue with manufacturing a product of consistent quality. My brother has a 2011 K1600GTL and he also switched to the Cal Sci due to excessive buffeting - especially the passenger (his wife). He's only had his on for about a week but so far so good.

It seems odd to me that major motorcycle manufacturers can't seem to get it right when it comes to wind screens and seats. I can't remember ever having to, or wanting to replace the windshield or seats in any car, minivan, or SUV I've ever owned.

Zwartie
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 11:56 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
How do the other screens compare to the National Cycle VStream Screen - N20308? This is 1 inch shorter than the OEM touring screen. http://www.nationalcycle.com/n20308.html

Ducit amor patriae
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 05:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

National cycle makes Yamaha Touring screen, which is really the gold standard. The 20308 is just about even with the touring screen. Not quite the same, but they are very similar in their protection. I like the touring screen slightly more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterkart26 View Post
How do the other screens compare to the National Cycle VStream Screen - N20308? This is 1 inch shorter than the OEM touring screen. http://www.nationalcycle.com/n20308.html
shifterkart26 likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 07-29-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page