Opinions on aftermarket items - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Opinions on aftermarket items

So I've purchased an 05 FJR ABS with only 14.5k miles on it. The thing is a beauty, and runs as good as she looks.

First portion is the mechanical side. In terms of reliability, what should I be looking to upgrade to make sure the bike stays happy? I have heard that the CCT is a must, which is what I have heard loads of bikes have problems with. I have also seen the throttle position sensor being an issue, should I look into that? When the bike is cold, the throttle seems a tiny bit boggy, but my R1 before did the exact same thing, and after about 2 minutes of riding, goes on perfectly fine (maybe a Yamaha deal?). I may also look into some customization of performance. Is there any recommended air intake mods that people do? And do these bikes take kindly to Power Commanders? Last but not least, there is some fairing right behind the front tire that covers the exhaust. Has anyone ever heard of modifying this? My R1 had this open to allow air flow through which makes me wonder if the same can be done here to keep things cool, or if it is necessary for proper radiator performance.

Now for the other mods, I have heard that an aftermarket seat makes a world of a difference. Is there such thing as a cooled seat? Otherwise, any recommended seats that I should be looking at? I also plan to put heated grips on the bike. Are there any other common mods that people do? (ie cruise control, air deflectors, dampeners).

I currently have handlebar risers and a larger windshield, but am looking to personalize this bike even more.

Good riding!
David Shelton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Vancura View Post
So I've purchased an 05 FJR ABS with only 14.5k miles on it. The thing is a beauty, and runs as good as she looks.

First portion is the mechanical side. In terms of reliability, what should I be looking to upgrade to make sure the bike stays happy? I have heard that the CCT is a must, which is what I have heard loads of bikes have problems with. I have also seen the throttle position sensor being an issue, should I look into that? When the bike is cold, the throttle seems a tiny bit boggy, but my R1 before did the exact same thing, and after about 2 minutes of riding, goes on perfectly fine (maybe a Yamaha deal?). I may also look into some customization of performance. Is there any recommended air intake mods that people do? And do these bikes take kindly to Power Commanders? Last but not least, there is some fairing right behind the front tire that covers the exhaust. Has anyone ever heard of modifying this? My R1 had this open to allow air flow through which makes me wonder if the same can be done here to keep things cool, or if it is necessary for proper radiator performance.

Now for the other mods, I have heard that an aftermarket seat makes a world of a difference. Is there such thing as a cooled seat? Otherwise, any recommended seats that I should be looking at? I also plan to put heated grips on the bike. Are there any other common mods that people do? (ie cruise control, air deflectors, dampeners).

I currently have handlebar risers and a larger windshield, but am looking to personalize this bike even more.

Good riding!
CCT - Yes, if it doesn't have the blue dot.

TPS - I'd wait till it gave problems.

Intake - some people put in a K&N filter. You can get marginal improvements in HP and torque with that and aftermarket mufflers. But it probably isn't worth the coin. Get mufflers if you want to change the sound. Don't expect a performance improvement beyond weight reduction.

PCommander - I'll let other weigh in.

Removing the bottom V in the fairing will not help your radiator/cooling and may do the opposite.

Almost everyone prefers an aftermarket seat. What works best is determined by your butt and the kind of riding you do. I have a Russell Day Long and love it. My next bike is coming with a Laam, which I hear is good. Sargent and Corbin are also out there.

Don't know how to cool a motorcycle seat. I think airflow would be the key there. Maybe a Beadrider?

Heated grips will make cool weather travel so much more pleasant!

Several cruise controls are available, from throttle locks up to an MC Cruise.
Ace Handler likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What Ludwig said ^^^

The only thing that I think you really, really need to do is the CCT if you donít have the most current version, the rest can be done at your leisure.

As far as a PCommander goes, before I spent that money Iíd have Ivan do a reflash on yours, my .02.

Performance wise, there isnít much to be gained with the fjr, as Ludwig said you can do performance cans on the pipes. Which will/maybe give you a more pleasing sound but as far as more power goes the only added gritty-up will be from the reduced weight only. Intake side, a K&N will maybe/sorta add something (probably not) with a pc reflash being your best bet there.

Truthfully though, the only reason I added a K&N to my14a is because mice seem to really like the fjr air box and the oiled K&N seems to make them look elsewhere.

So, in summary in my opinion do the CCT as soon as possible, itís a must do thing if itís the old one, past that, just ride and enjoy your bike and then, you can take your time on deciding a seat, etc. my .02
Redfish and Ace Handler like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 08:46 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

cct must have a blue or green dot not just blue. green is the latest revision blue is previous, no dot is bad one
2GENAE and Ace Handler like this.

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

what he heck is CCT ?
John Scottorn likes this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 09:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Way,,,, itís a Cam Chain Tensioner.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 12:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Congratulations on the purchase!!!! I too just purchased a gently used 2005 the end of July. Performance mods, not really worth the expense from what I have been reading and talking to a few members here. Changing the mufflers will get you about a 3.5hp gain and about $800-$1300, depending on brand, out of your wallet with a decent tone change.

Ivan offers a reflash for the '06 up according to his site, but I haven't called him to see about our '05's what he offers.

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm

First thing is to check to see if your cct has a blue dot or green dot on it. No dot, it is straight from the line. You can stick your finger in on the right side of the tank between the frame and the black rubber panel, lift it up, and then use a flashlight to look direct at the top of the cct. In my first thread there are pics and others comments of my questions similar to yours.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/8-f...ml#post1261551

CCT
check brake pads
check fork seals for leaking - mine are horrible full rebuild soon
brake fluid flush and fill
throttle body synchronization
valve adjusment
check air filter
drain and replace coolant
and I have purchased a 2016 rear shock to go on mine as mine may only have 43k miles on it, but too weak for my 290lbs that list is my list of to do. I bought mine from a 72 year old man so I am not worried that it has been abused at all. Hope this has helped

David
passx and Ace Handler like this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 12:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
forgot to add the original sheepskin to help aid with keeping the family bits cooled down

https://alaskaleather.com/products/m...epskin-buttpad
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Can't say much more.... check that CCT and if no dot on it, replace it at the earliest opportunity (be sure to follow the proper procedure). The one you buy today will be the latest revision, get the gasket to go with it.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

It's a valve check. An adjustment is performed only if required.
Many riders have been happy with a Beadrider to keep the family jewels cool and happy.
A shock alone won't stiffen up an under sprung suspension. You need the proper spring for your weight.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page