Shock Ohlins or Penske - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Shock Ohlins or Penske

About to pick up a 15A with less than 1K miles so I'm going to upgrade the shock. Which brand do you use/prefer?
I'll have either sprung for my riding weight but am interested in your comments. These are the only 2 I'm considering so please don't add re different shocks. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

Why aren’t you considering other brands? There are some great shocks out there. I looked at all of them and will be going with a TFX. They seemed to be built the best. Ohlins is not what they used to be.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

I just posted this in another thread.

I prefer the penske. Just as good as ohlins for less money

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:57 AM
FJR Top Gun

Dont forget to replace the fork springs. You will need them.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Agree with MadGerman..... Ohlins riding on the name, not bad, just I think there may be better...... call Cogent Dynamics in NC..... handles all brands, can help you decide, including perhaps their own.... owner Rick, is a former Ohlins engineer. He does Penske if you're stuck on it. Ohlins too.
mobilemike likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Shop I work at part time has accounts with Ohlins USA & Traxxion Dynamics for Penske. I get the shock @ cost plus tax so that's why I will go with one of those two shocks. I've put Penske's on a MT-10 & Gen 2 FZ-1 with good results. I'm after a more compliant ride as I've rods in lumbar area of my back. Will be ordering fork springs tomorrow from Traxxion for a 19A I just found.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I just posted this in another thread.

I prefer the penske. Better than ohlins for less money
Fixed it for you...
mobilemike likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 11:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattemike View Post
Shop I work at part time has accounts with Ohlins USA & Traxxion Dynamics for Penske. I get the shock @ cost plus tax so that's why I will go with one of those two shocks. I've put Penske's on a MT-10 & Gen 2 FZ-1 with good results. I'm after a more compliant ride as I've rods in lumbar area of my back. Will be ordering fork springs tomorrow from Traxxion for a 19A I just found.
I'm not of the impression "springs" will fix the front to be equal or good match to a properly tuned Penske or Ohlins.

I too am ready to repair my aging FJR suspension. Just waiting for time when thoughts are settled to call and understand the options. Traxxion has a half dozen options on the Penske shock. I've replaced springs, fork seals, and revalved WP open chamber forks a number of times but not clear if anything worse is involved for FJR forks.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I would change the forks springs to straight rate, best bang for the buck up front. I wouldn't spend money on FJR fork valving unless you want racetrack performance. The Traxxion fork spring kit is plug and play, comes with all you need to just replace springs. You'll likely get 1.1 rate springs from them (their recommendation), which one might think are "too much" if you're under 200 lbs, but I have installed them for 170 lb. riders and they like it a lot... preload adjusters can be backed right out if you're a light weight.
First and foremost, the springs have to hold you up with proper sag values. Without that, you are adding preload and trying to get the damping right, a compromise that's all to familiar on the FJR OEM suspension.
A properly sprung rear shock will do wonders also, the various manufacturers install valving they believe to be appropriate for the FJR and you. Fully adjustable damping and remote preload is the higher end add-on if you want to tweak the tuning more easily (than removing the shock to adjust preload).
Mad German likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

One other brand I would add to this mix is the YSS, I just put a set on my 76 wing which was a huge improvement over the antique Koniís they replaced, pricing on the YSSís is quite a bit better than most of the others and they do offer them for the FJR.

As far as longevity I canít. Speak to that but theyíve been getting really good reviews in comparison testing. Just another possible option. They seem to offer a very well controlled ride on my Wing.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page