Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR: The Farkling II (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/)
-   -   Shock Ohlins or Penske (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/151215-shock-ohlins-penske.html)

mattemike 07-15-2020 07:34 AM

Shock Ohlins or Penske

About to pick up a 15A with less than 1K miles so I'm going to upgrade the shock. Which brand do you use/prefer?
I'll have either sprung for my riding weight but am interested in your comments. These are the only 2 I'm considering so please don't add re different shocks. TIA

Mad German 07-15-2020 07:39 AM

Why aren’t you considering other brands? There are some great shocks out there. I looked at all of them and will be going with a TFX. They seemed to be built the best. Ohlins is not what they used to be.

mobilemike 07-15-2020 11:56 AM

I just posted this in another thread.

I prefer the penske. Just as good as ohlins for less money

mobilemike 07-15-2020 11:57 AM

Dont forget to replace the fork springs. You will need them.

RaYzerman 07-15-2020 03:18 PM

Agree with MadGerman..... Ohlins riding on the name, not bad, just I think there may be better...... call Cogent Dynamics in NC..... handles all brands, can help you decide, including perhaps their own.... owner Rick, is a former Ohlins engineer. He does Penske if you're stuck on it. Ohlins too.

mattemike 07-15-2020 04:57 PM

Shop I work at part time has accounts with Ohlins USA & Traxxion Dynamics for Penske. I get the shock @ cost plus tax so that's why I will go with one of those two shocks. I've put Penske's on a MT-10 & Gen 2 FZ-1 with good results. I'm after a more compliant ride as I've rods in lumbar area of my back. Will be ordering fork springs tomorrow from Traxxion for a 19A I just found.

Mad German 07-15-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilemike (Post 1265955)
I just posted this in another thread.

I prefer the penske. Better than ohlins for less money

Fixed it for you...

N4HHE 07-15-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattemike (Post 1265991)
Shop I work at part time has accounts with Ohlins USA & Traxxion Dynamics for Penske. I get the shock @ cost plus tax so that's why I will go with one of those two shocks. I've put Penske's on a MT-10 & Gen 2 FZ-1 with good results. I'm after a more compliant ride as I've rods in lumbar area of my back. Will be ordering fork springs tomorrow from Traxxion for a 19A I just found.

I'm not of the impression "springs" will fix the front to be equal or good match to a properly tuned Penske or Ohlins.

I too am ready to repair my aging FJR suspension. Just waiting for time when thoughts are settled to call and understand the options. Traxxion has a half dozen options on the Penske shock. I've replaced springs, fork seals, and revalved WP open chamber forks a number of times but not clear if anything worse is involved for FJR forks.

RaYzerman 07-16-2020 08:20 AM

I would change the forks springs to straight rate, best bang for the buck up front. I wouldn't spend money on FJR fork valving unless you want racetrack performance. The Traxxion fork spring kit is plug and play, comes with all you need to just replace springs. You'll likely get 1.1 rate springs from them (their recommendation), which one might think are "too much" if you're under 200 lbs, but I have installed them for 170 lb. riders and they like it a lot... preload adjusters can be backed right out if you're a light weight.
First and foremost, the springs have to hold you up with proper sag values. Without that, you are adding preload and trying to get the damping right, a compromise that's all to familiar on the FJR OEM suspension.
A properly sprung rear shock will do wonders also, the various manufacturers install valving they believe to be appropriate for the FJR and you. Fully adjustable damping and remote preload is the higher end add-on if you want to tweak the tuning more easily (than removing the shock to adjust preload).

passx 07-16-2020 08:41 AM

One other brand I would add to this mix is the YSS, I just put a set on my 76 wing which was a huge improvement over the antique Koniís they replaced, pricing on the YSSís is quite a bit better than most of the others and they do offer them for the FJR.

As far as longevity I canít. Speak to that but theyíve been getting really good reviews in comparison testing. Just another possible option. They seem to offer a very well controlled ride on my Wing.