What to add-on my New to me 2012 fjr - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By red
  • 1 Post By dimmer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

What to add-on my New to me 2012 fjr

In the past 45yrs of riding I try to find a different bike to ride every 2 to 3 years, and while going through the adds I found a Clean 2012 FJR with super low miles (4,716)...Now that Ive got the bike in the Garage I'm ready to make it mine..My wife loves to ride with me all the time and we enjoy hitting the back roads for a nice easy pace. We live in NJ and as such ride in NY,Pa and try to ride about 100 to 150 mile loops on a weekend. What seats do most find comfortable and the front shield is clean but I find the motor seems slow going up n down, and last we enjoy having a GPS and water bottle up front, where do most Place them and keep them there!.....Thanks

2012 fjr1300 and looking for roads to ride in the N.East
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I forgot another storage and GPS/Cell option, A tank bag with the top pockets with the clear windows for the gps or cell phone, and mounting choice of either- type-strap or Magnet..does the fuel tank get damage too....

2012 fjr1300 and looking for roads to ride in the N.East
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 07:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Congrats on the new ride, that 2012 is a good one and not even broke in.

Seats: most consider a built for you Laam or Russel Day Long to be the best, I have a Laam & love it ! But many have found good results with a Yamaha comfort seat or many of the other aftermarket one-size-fits-all to be fine. Some have even found the original factory seat comfy, worst seat I’ve ever ridden on !

Most common upgrades are a seat, the Yamaha touring screen and a set of risers/set backs.

I would suggest a couple of things for maintenance service as well, change all the fluids including flushing the brake & clutch fluids, both of which should be a yearly or bi-annual thing at the least. Also a check and retorque of the steering head bearings. Also an afternoon with an adult beverage and go over the bike to make sure things are tight. Also might add in a throttle body sync (tbs) at some point if it hasn’t been done in a while.

Also would suggest a Yamaha heavy aluminum rear rack or a Shad or givi tube type rack if you have a top box to protect the subframe from breaking.

Also I would suggest you add your general location to your signature line to make things easier if you have questions or problems in the future.

Again congrats, you’re gonna love it !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:03 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

What to add-on my New to me 2012 fjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantabe View Post
I found a Clean 2012 FJR with super low miles (4,716)...Now that Ive got the bike in the Garage I'm ready to make it mine..the front shield is clean but I find the motor seems slow going up n down, and last we enjoy having a GPS and water bottle up front, where do most Place them and keep them there!.....Thanks
Wantabe,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.

I am a serious proponent of any Tire Pressure Monitoring System, which can be cheap or fancy; whatever works, and is visible in sunlight. The easy ones just replace the valve stem caps, and plug in with a USB cable, with a display about the same size of the old cartwheel silver dollar. I have T-type valve stems on mine, so I can add air to a tire without removing the TPMS sensor. Who routinely checks their tire pressures as they are riding fast on the freeway? TPMS riders. Typically you can set the upper and lower limits for each tire pressure, and operating temperatures, before the alarm sounds/display flashes. A low-pressure tire can run very hot, while holding reasonable air pressure, before it fails. You might not feel that disaster coming, and I hate surprises. TPMS, yeah!

A Cox radiator guard (or similar) will protect your expensive radiator, and a Fenda Extenda will help, there. Easy stuff.

Fall bars with frame sliders will usually cost you less than the damage from a single zero-speed bike tip-over. Not a joke. Once the FJR goes too far out of vertical, no rider can stop the fall.

This stuff does not need to be done immediately, if at all, but those things would be on my list.

passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Welcome. Russell Day Long!
hANNAbONE likes this.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page