Quick Delkevic 18inch ovals review... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quick Delkevic 18inch ovals review...

I pulled the trigger on a set of Delkevic 18inch ovals (carbon fiber wrap) version. Since I make my living with my ears, i figured id post a little review from my ride. Weight savings is over 10lbs for the swap from stock... probably about 12? Visually IMHO a VAST improvement over stock... I’ll attach a pic. Cans sound tuned... not crazy loud, but definitely not stock. I’m guessing riders of a bike such as the fjr would all pretty much be wearing earplugs when they ride, but if you don’t, the loudness at idle might bother you. Its a 1.3 liter engine and you are very aware of that when it’s idling.... you can feel it in your body when you’re standing next to it. Oddly enough it doesn’t drone at all while riding, and sounds ballsy, but not crazy loud at full throttle. In my opinion its loudest at idle, but that could be wind noise diverting my attention. I’ll try with the battles in today, just for fun. Feels smoother through the “flat spot” in the rpms. Other than that no major difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C6556B7F-BA08-4AA3-BAF6-95314998FEA2_1593612873332.jpg (315.5 KB, 34 views)
FJRChuck, MrPalms, zwartie and 2 others like this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:23 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always thought the Delks sound the best as in a bit more classy. Baffles in on other bikes I have heard, I like that even better, just a wee bit more subtle.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

How is the clearance to the bottom of the saddlebags?
A friend of mine bought a set for his '14 and then returned them as he said was "dangerously close" and was afraid of heat damage.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:59 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'll just slip in and say one can rotate the mid-pipes which will affect the height of aftermarket pipes at the rear. Loose install, position, then tighten.
Redfish, 2GENAE and David Shelton like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
A friend of mine bought a set for his '14 and then returned them as he said was "dangerously close" and was afraid of heat damage.
Know what, i didn’t even check. I guess that’s another thing i have to worry about now... lol. The carbon fiber wrapping does buffer heat alot though. Doesn’t really get “melty” hot.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 07-01-2020 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 04:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I've had the stainless Delk Stubbies for several yrs. The "heat issue" is a worry, not a fact. If someone thinks the factory exhaust wouldn't get sufficiently hot to melt anything, well.....

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 05:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlRiderrr View Post
Know what, i didnít even check. I guess thatís another thing i have to worry about now... lol. The carbon fiber wrapping does buffer heat alot though. Doesnít really get ďmeltyĒ hot.
Don't worry, just take a look. I think that Delkevic must have included the wrong canister straps, because once installed, the top of the can almost was against the bottom of the footpeg / exhaust bracket.
And no matter how we twisted and angled the midpipe, never could get a finger between the canister and bottom of saddlebags.
So he didn't feel comfortable with that so just reboxed and returned them to whomever he bought from.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I always thought the Delks sound the best as in a bit more classy. Baffles in on other bikes I have heard, I like that even better, just a wee bit more subtle.
I just put the baffles in, and I’m about to test ride it. I think you might be right.... it sounds more “tuned” with the baffles in. Which is more in character with a bike like this. Plenty loud standing next to it with no earplugs in. I just hope it’s enough grunt to satisfy me when I’m on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblestrip View Post
Yep. They touch. I emailed Delkevic and they are sending me slightly lower hangers free of charge. I notified them that they may in the future want to make the “lows” the mains because most people who own these bikes just leave the hard cases on all the time.
2GENAE likes this.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 09:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
I pulled the trigger on a set of Delkevic 18inch ovals (carbon fiber wrap) version. Since I make my living with my ears, i figured id post a little review from my ride. Weight savings is over 10lbs for the swap from stock... probably about 12? Visually IMHO a VAST improvement over stock... Iíll attach a pic. Cans sound tuned... not crazy loud, but definitely not stock. Iím guessing riders of a bike such as the fjr would all pretty much be wearing earplugs when they ride, but if you donít, the loudness at idle might bother you. Its a 1.3 liter engine and you are very aware of that when itís idling.... you can feel it in your body when youíre standing next to it. Oddly enough it doesnít drone at all while riding, and sounds ballsy, but not crazy loud at full throttle. In my opinion its loudest at idle, but that could be wind noise diverting my attention. Iíll try with the battles in today, just for fun. Feels smoother through the ďflat spotĒ in the rpms. Other than that no major difference.
Congrats!!!! I going with Delks at some point myself. I have listened to countless number of videos on YouTube, and always come back to their nice deep mellow sound, or at least I think they are the best sounding to my ears
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
Quote:
I pulled the trigger on a set of Delkevic 18inch ovals (carbon fiber wrap) version. Since I make my living with my ears, i figured id post a little review from my ride. Weight savings is over 10lbs for the swap from stock... probably about 12? Visually IMHO a VAST improvement over stock... I’ll attach a pic. Cans sound tuned... not crazy loud, but definitely not stock. I’m guessing riders of a bike such as the fjr would all pretty much be wearing earplugs when they ride, but if you don’t, the loudness at idle might bother you. Its a 1.3 liter engine and you are very aware of that when it’s idling.... you can feel it in your body when you’re standing next to it. Oddly enough it doesn’t drone at all while riding, and sounds ballsy, but not crazy loud at full throttle. In my opinion its loudest at idle, but that could be wind noise diverting my attention. I’ll try with the battles in today, just for fun. Feels smoother through the “flat spot” in the rpms. Other than that no major difference.
Congrats!!!! I going with Delks at some point myself. I have listened to countless number of videos on YouTube, and always come back to their nice deep mellow sound, or at least I think they are the best sounding to my ears
With the baffles in they have a low rumble that keeps you in touch with the engine better than stock. Without baffles they sound a bit more raw/sportbike. Personally as someone who also owns one of the best sounding bikes ever made, I’m not a huge fan of the inline 4 sound. So with the baffles you can hear it, but you can still hear the engine and intake whine... which in my opinion is more the FJR’s true character. I wish i could make the whine louder... haha
gmeltzer and David Shelton like this.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page