Quick Delkevic 18inch ovals review... - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just installed a set of 13 inch stainless tri ovals my 14. It was to loud without the baffles, sounds better and seams to run better with them in. Heading out on the 6th for a couple weeks ride, l guess buy the time I get home Iíll know if they are keepers 😜
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by G P Jones View Post
I just installed a set of 13 inch stainless tri ovals my 14. It was to loud without the baffles, sounds better and seams to run better with them in. Heading out on the 6th for a couple weeks ride, l guess buy the time I get home I’ll know if they are keepers 😜
Oddly without baffles they were most irritating at idle. You can hear every little cpu adjustment on idle rpms and it starts to drone after about 10 seconds. But while i was moving they weren’t very loud or drony at all. The idle would be enough to annoy me on an all day trip though. I’m not 20 anymore... haha
FJRChuck likes this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have the exact same cans, love them !you can hear them at idle with a not to loud bass rumble and by 45mph or so all you hear is the wind, perfect for me. Mine donít seem to drone at all but Iíve never run them w/o the baffles, I like the sound as is.

Clearances, yes initially mine touched the bottom of the saddlebags but they really donít get hot so I wasnít worried about burning the bags (a little maybe) but between adjusting the mid pipes which never cleared the bags and my little friend dremel helping me with the mounting strap I now have about 1/8Ē of clearance, not a problem any more. Mine have been on for about 4yrs now and with the exception of them initially touching the bags I have zero complaints. Let us know what you think once you get the new straps on.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

I can't believe I'm actually considering getting pipes for the FJR. Mostly doing it for cosmetic, sound and weight savings.

The majority of my miles are for trips, but I recently saw somebody's blog on Youtube who has an FJR and these pipes and all he does is tour and he stated that once you get to highway speeds the wind is still louder than the exhaust. I get home from work late, will my neighbors hear me or will it wake up my young kids in the attached garage?

2015 FJR1300A
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 12:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Aftermarket pipes are something I've never done to a bike. I've modified 2 of my bikes (my klr was just downright annoying from the factory) and I've done a few cars, but I mostly don't care.
I get the appeal, though.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse H View Post
I can't believe I'm actually considering getting pipes for the FJR. Mostly doing it for cosmetic, sound and weight savings.

The majority of my miles are for trips, but I recently saw somebody's blog on Youtube who has an FJR and these pipes and all he does is tour and he stated that once you get to highway speeds the wind is still louder than the exhaust. I get home from work late, will my neighbors hear me or will it wake up my young kids in the attached garage?
Not with the baffles in. I think a stock Ducati might be louder than these, depending on the model. Certainly there are stock bikes which are just as loud. With the baffles out at low rpms they are definitely a bit louder.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I have the exact same cans, love them !you can hear them at idle with a not to loud bass rumble and by 45mph or so all you hear is the wind, perfect for me. Mine donít seem to drone at all but Iíve never run them w/o the baffles, I like the sound as is.

Clearances, yes initially mine touched the bottom of the saddlebags but they really donít get hot so I wasnít worried about burning the bags (a little maybe) but between adjusting the mid pipes which never cleared the bags and my little friend dremel helping me with the mounting strap I now have about 1/8Ē of clearance, not a problem any more. Mine have been on for about 4yrs now and with the exception of them initially touching the bags I have zero complaints. Let us know what you think once you get the new straps on.
I'm hoping the straps are a little lower but all i need is 1/2 inch really. If they are a full inch or something I'll be a little annoyed You're correct, the top of the cans don't get very hot...especially with the baffles in.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
This thread is extremely helpful I was looking at these exact cans! Good to know they make it sound better but not loud on the road.

Y'all doing just the cans or going full exhaust with the headers?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksBarry View Post
This thread is extremely helpful I was looking at these exact cans! Good to know they make it sound better but not loud on the road.

Y'all doing just the cans or going full exhaust with the headers?
UPDATE: So the brackets came in, they are indeed much longer than i wanted, but I’ll hold onto them anyway. I was able to get enough room between the top of the cans and the cases to be ok with me. Although i know it won’t be enough room for the more worrisome types...lol. If it really concerns you, you can put a small strip of heat reflective tape on the bottom of the cases.

-To answer your question, i ALMOST did the full exhaust. Delkevic told me that you can do it without a tune, but you can’t do any other mods like K&N air filter or it will throw a code. I’ve read it leans out your engine a bit. So for the reason of not wanting to do an Ivans reflash, or getting a PCiii right now. I left it alone. It’s very unlike me, but my other bike is completely tricked out with mods, so i want to keep it real simple and trust the Yamaha engineers with this big expensive bike... haha.

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 07-06-2020 at 06:59 PM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 10:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On my 14a (the fastest color red &#128540 I have just the 18Ē carbon fiber cans along with a k+n filter, Iím extremely happy with the end results, it just runs great ! No issues, but Iíll add that if I keep the bike Iíll send the pcu To Ivan for a reflash, not that there is any noticeable problem but from the results some have had here thereís no downside. Just depends on if I can get on the other side of my back issues.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page