Crash protection recommendations? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By EliteMuppet
  • 4 Post By red

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Crash protection recommendations?

I'm looking for some recommendations for some crash protection for my third gen FJR. I've looked at some of the "cages" but a lot of them look like they extend back towards the footpegs and I would bang my feet and shins into them. I like to move around a lot while riding so if that happens I'd look at other options. I'd also like to make the bike not any wider than it already is, but I don't know if the low profile cages would actually keep the fairings off the ground.

If anyone can share their experiences with some products, that would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Gen III with T-Rex. No issues or interference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR1.1.jpg (424.2 KB, 24 views)

Ducit amor patriae
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterkart26 View Post
Gen III with T-Rex. No issues or interference.
I second that. These cages don't interfere with feet. They also do a **** good job. I'm clumsy... lol
shifterkart26 likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 10:13 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Beamo,

I know you are asking for ironwork, and there is some really good stuff out there, but . . .

I believe the best crash protection is any practice or education program that improves your skills, attitudes and defensive driving techniques. Even riders who do this on a regular basis will usually say they learned something new (or flaked off the rust) every time.

As always, ride like you are invisible. With all the munchers, texters, and otherwise flaming idiots on road lately, this advice is vital to all riders.

My US$.02 worth . . .

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Beamo,

I know you are asking for ironwork, and there is some really good stuff out there, but . . .

I believe the best crash protection is any practice or education program that improves your skills, attitudes and defensive driving techniques. Even riders who do this on a regular basis will usually say they learned something new (or flaked off the rust) every time.

As always, ride like you are invisible. With all the munchers, texters, and otherwise flaming idiots on road lately, this advice is vital to all riders.

My US$.02 worth . . .

The main reason I wanted the cage was so I could get more into practice drills without worrying if I mess up and drop it or have a mild lowside in an empty lot. Obviously a cage isn't going to prevent a crash.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 08:18 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamo1300 View Post
The main reason I wanted the cage was so I could get more into practice drills without worrying if I mess up and drop it or have a mild lowside in an empty lot. Obviously a cage isn't going to prevent a crash.
Beamo,

Obviously.

I guess I was reacting to a dang-fool cager who cut me off last week. Needed all the braking available, but I saved it. Sure, I did a little practice in Spring, but after that shaky adventure, I went out and did some more. I have Canyon Cages and Gerauld sliders on my 2008. Can't get the CCs now, otherwise I would have recommended the combination that I have to you. Still, the T-Rex bars look very good to me, if that helps.

Please pardon the interruption.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Are the T-Rex highway pegs good too? Looks like they're held on with one bolt which seems questionable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page