Canyon Cages *extension?* - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Canyon Cages *extension?*

I'm posting like crazy today...ha! So I've got Canyon Cages already for my 15'....but I've noticed when my vents are in the summer (outer) position, they MAYBE come out exactly even with the vents or the vents possibly stick out further. I would love the peace of mind since those cages are beastly already, that the fairings wouldn't hit the ground. Has anyone fit slider pucks to the main front upper bolt on the cages to extend the protection further? If so, what did you end up buying? I've been creatively looking with no luck so far. I see on ebay there's one of those Russian brand cages that has sliders on them already...thanks!

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Atl, T-Rex guards come with the slider already, I was also thinking of adding one of those "Winch cable stopper rubber" towards the top of the engine guards to prevent the mirrors to hit the floor in case of bike tumbling on the side, since the bike might want to continue rolling pass the slider pivot point. Here is some info for you:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...rs-guards.html

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...-part-2-a.html

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have those sliders on my canyon cages. I got mine several years ago from eric_f, a former inhabitant here who made them up on order. I think Garauld Engineering, find a link here on the forum, uses the same pattern.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The R1 style that stick out further are a good idea, similar to the longer ones Garauld had for the Canyon Cages.... however, good for parking lot tipovers... in all those pics/videos of bike laying on cardboard, suspension is not loaded nor is there any momentum involved, imagine would be different empty tank vs full tank.
Going back to my '07 with Racing 905 bars and some 3" sliders I made, those did stop tipovers in parking lots... never crash tested them.... basically saying the more they stick out the better kind of thing.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Concerns would be.....are the big long bolts supplied with the cages long enough to fit through the slider and be still long enough to do the job? I'm pretty sure they go deep into the engine right? Are the R1 style the same bolt hole?

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 04:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'd think you need longer bolts..... M12 fine thread... might have to look around to find them.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
in all those pics/videos of bike laying on cardboard, suspension is not loaded nor is there any momentum involved, imagine would be different empty tank vs full tank.
Considering that 90% of drops happen in the parking lots and gravel at no or minimum speed, the pictures are still a good representation of how the FJR will come to rest. We all know that at speed the engine guards and sliders will not save the bike, especially when it start tumbling over rocks, and the Insurance will declare a "write-off" in most high speed accidents, since fixing is always more then the bike is worth (for them).

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I'd think you need longer bolts..... M12 fine thread... might have to look around to find them.
I’m starting to think that one of those little collars pictured above ^^ might buy me an extra inch on each side. Or perhaps a set of highway pegs even when folded up buys you maybe another inch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Considering that 90% of drops happen in the parking lots and gravel at no or minimum speed, the pictures are still a good representation of how the FJR will come to rest. We all know that at speed the engine guards and sliders will not save the bike, especially when it start tumbling over rocks, and the Insurance will declare a "write-off" in most high speed accidents, since fixing is always more then the bike is worth (for them).
I would want these in the event of a lowside, say when you’re in the twisties and you might be cornering really heavy at 35mph and you wash out on something...i bet these would still really help minimize the damage at that speed... but you never know

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 10:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
FWIW, since Canyon Cages have ceased being made I am no longer making sliders for them. The longer bolts I used can be purchased from www.AllensFasteners.com. I think they are the only ones that sell them. Here's the info if you wish to buy them:

Product ID: 70307
Product Name: 12mm-1.25 8.8 HEX BOLT
LENGTH: 12mm-1.25 X 160 8.8 HEX CS (part thread)

Product Price: $3.70
georgepittenger and gmeltzer like this.

"If ya can't be handsome, ya might as well be handy!"

2004 FJR1300
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 11:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post

I would want these in the event of a lowside, say when you’re in the twisties and you might be cornering really heavy at 35mph and you wash out on something...i bet these would still really help minimize the damage at that speed... but you never know
Yes I installed the TRex guards to protect my bike fairings in case of slow speed lowside or a mishap in the parking lot or gravel, I am not expecting a miracle but I know they will minimize the damage on the fairing. I will do my best not to drop it anyway 🙂

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page