Tail bag suggestions... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AtlRiderrr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So i know there’s plenty of tailbags out there, and if I was made of money, I’d buy a Corbin Smuggler, but alas they are too expensive for me to buy without hating myself. It would be great if there was a triangular tail bag that fit perfectly on the little gloss black rack on the back of our bikes. Like a nice wedge that could fit a little bottle of water and snacks but wasn’t big or goofy looking. Almost like part of the bike. Any ideas?

*looks like the Held Tenda is a win, but it’s an import*
Sete Bond likes this.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 06-19-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 12:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have a small (15 litre capacity) Nelson-Rigg tank bag (strap mount) that I use as a tail pack. It almost fits your description of what you're looking for, but it isn't wedge shaped. I don't think it's goofy looking - people don't point at it and laugh - but that's a matter of aesthetic taste.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 07:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just be careful with that “little gloss black rack” because it is plastic and provides nearly no support for the frame tab it bolts to, flexing that tab is what causes the subframe breakage, but if you keep the weight down to maybe a lb or 2 you should be ok. Just keep in mind that it is the trigger for breaking the subframe so just don’t use it to carry your bowling ball for league night.😜

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Just be careful with that “little gloss black rack” because it is plastic and provides nearly no support for the frame tab it bolts to, flexing that tab is what causes the subframe breakage, but if you keep the weight down to maybe a lb or 2 you should be ok. Just keep in mind that it is the trigger for breaking the subframe so just don’t use it to carry your bowling ball for league night.😜
Totally thought it was metal. And have used it to rotate the rear end around when on the center stand before like i do on my VFR. Guess i need to curb that habit! What the heck do they put a plastic grocery carrier on a bike of this caliber for?

*So if you lift the seat, it says 7lbs, but that still isn't much. Good enough for a small tail bag though*

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by AtlRiderrr; 06-19-2020 at 09:16 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Best have some kind of plate to tie a tail bag on with, you could have it on the pillion seat as well. With Yamaha OEM top box, labels under the seat tell you load limits which are ridiculously low.... meh... with top box, vibrations are the killer to me, make sure it is solid and problems will be minimal. Upgrade to the Yamaha aluminum rack or Givi SR357 rack highly recommended if you go the top box route.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Best have some kind of plate to tie a tail bag on with, you could have it on the pillion seat as well. With Yamaha OEM top box, labels under the seat tell you load limits which are ridiculously low.... meh... with top box, vibrations are the killer to me, make sure it is solid and problems will be minimal. Upgrade to the Yamaha aluminum rack or Givi SR351 rack highly recommended if you go the top box route.
No plans for a top box. Eventually i might lash a sleeping bag/tent inside a dry bag up there, but thats it. Im actually floored at the room inside the hard cases assuming you don't have liners in there. If you do a nice military style packing job you can fit tons of stuff!

2015 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page