PIAA Extreme White vs. Stockers - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Has anyone researched an upgrade to improve on the Gen III factory LED's? Good lighting is so important. When I upgraded my Voyager II, it was so bright I could see the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED Headlight.jpg (138.5 KB, 15 views)

Ducit amor patriae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Alt, I’ve been running the Piaa night-Tec bulbs in my 14a for about 5yrs now with zero complaints, great headlights imho! No so much that they are all that much brighter but they eliminate the shadows that the oe’s had plus much more peripheral light.

Now with that said, once/if my Piaa’s take a dirt nap I will replace them with the f2’s, as a side note,,,,, there are no DOT approved led headlights other than the factory installed ones, which is why I went with the Piaa night-tech units but a number of them now like the f2’s have the reflector to focus the light (still Not DOT approved) and as Russ said are literally “light years” better, they’re what I’ll use as so many here have stamped their approval on them. Use the piaa’s until you can’t and by then there may be something better yet. My .02

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Alt, I’ve been running the Piaa night-Tec bulbs in my 14a for about 5yrs now with zero complaints, great headlights imho! No so much that they are all that much brighter but they eliminate the shadows that the oe’s had plus much more peripheral light.

Now with that said, once/if my Piaa’s take a dirt nap I will replace them with the f2’s, as a side note,,,,, there are no DOT approved led headlights other than the factory installed ones, which is why I went with the Piaa night-tech units but a number of them now like the f2’s have the reflector to focus the light (still Not DOT approved) and as Russ said are literally “light years” better, they’re what I’ll use as so many here have stamped their approval on them. Use the piaa’s until you can’t and by then there may be something better yet. My .02

Yeah, theres also the aspect of blinding people with them that I'm kind of"meh" about. Research has shown that they are really not healthy for humans, since LED lights work like lasers as opposed to regular light. I'll see how long the PIAA's last. If it's under a year then I'll definitely look elsewhere....I don't want to worry about getting pulled over for dumb stuff ..lol.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 07:38 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the great advice. I'll begin the search for F2 LED. Any particular favorites?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Alt, I should add that I had to adjust my h-lights down quite a bit with the PIAA’s because on coming people were flashing me nearly every time, I still get an occasional flasher even during the day because the PIAA’s are a much whiter light. I typically try to have the “cut off” line of the headlights just below the top edge of the trunk of the car in front of me. That’s what I do.

I’ll add that I installed the PIAA’s shortly after buying my14a as the oe’s had a lot of shadows and dark spits which on my 45mi all back road rural ride to work back then provided a lot of critter hiding places. The oe’s weren’t terrible but the piaa’s are a big improvement as they eliminate the dark spits and add peripheral as well as distance to the light path. I am quite happy with them and riding with my neighbor on his HD Limited with all led lighting which is quite good but the piaa’s give more distance and peripheral lighting, most magazine articles I’ve read consider the HD LED lighting to be some of the best,but imho the piaa’s are better.

But again, I will put LED’s in if/when the Piaa’s fail.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 06-18-2020 at 08:42 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Alt, I should add that I had to adjust my h-lights down quite a bit with the PIAA’s because on coming people were flashing me nearly every time, I still get an occasional flasher even during the day because the PIAA’s are a much whiter light. I typically try to have the “cut off” line of the headlights just below the top edge of the trunk of the car in front of me. That’s what I do.

I’ll add that I installed the PIAA’s shortly after buying my14a as the oe’s had a lot of shadows and dark spits which on my 45mi all back road rural ride to work back then provided a lot of critter hiding places. The oe’s weren’t terrible but the piaa’s are a big improvement as they eliminate the dark spits and add peripheral as well as distance to the light path. I am quite happy with them and riding with my neighbor on his HD Limited with all led lighting which is quite good but the piaa’s give more distance and peripheral lighting, most magazine articles I’ve read consider the HD LED lighting to be some of the best,but imho the piaa’s are better.

But again, I will put LED’s in if/when the Piaa’s fail.
3 years is a pretty good run for some headlights that I can snag for under $50 I think. I will see about my headlight adjustment. Yeah, my situation will be different than most people since I do have giant LED lights mounted on my bike. I feel like halogens in the lamps is a great idea since i get LED AND Halogen spread.

1994 Honda VFR750 custom streetfighter
2015 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
I searched for the F2s and could not find any here in an H4 base. I ended up with these and am glad I did. My only concern is that the z beam pattern appears to be designed for driving on the left. No complaints from oncoming traffic so far and I can see into tomorrow now. The funny little whirring noise you hear when shutting the bike off now is fun to listen to too.[IMG] Apparently, I am not allowed to post an image. The description on Amazon is as follows: Fahren H4/9003/HB2 LED Headlight Bulbs, 60W 12000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kit 6500K Cool White IP68 Waterproof.

Hangin' in Franklin Indiana. Indiana's best kept secret. It's also where 31, 44, 65, 144 and 135 all lead. Ok, 135 is a bit of a stretch but, you get the idea. Currently home to a 2009 FJR, 1980 XS850 Special, 1982 400 Maxim and a 1983 XJ750 Maxim.

Last edited by vzhq16; 06-19-2020 at 02:50 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 04:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

F2's...... I look for the yellow box so to get the originals... lotsa copycats these days. This is only one listing you may find them for less. You can order from AliExpress as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-F2-...MAAOSw43JbyYPU

Fahrens on Amazon listing... can't comment, never had them.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 09:19 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have used the PIAA (extra white by whatever name). While I personally liked it, I found longevity less than standard H4 bulbs.

All of these "mods" to bulbs mostly do it by changing the color temperature; between blueish and yellowish in tone. Our eyes work better with binocular lighting up higher so the light helps our eyes triangulate debris in the road. Blueish beams can mask that debris simply with the color shift which our eyes don't do well with for detail (blue). In a chase to "look" like HID, many of us went through times with "less functional" results. But if they still plug into an H4 socket, they are still limited by the physics of the bike's charging system and beam patterning of the lens.

I saved this link at the time and refer back to it often.

Even when the bulb is designed to meet "legal" issues, it still might not work well for SEEING (instead of BEING SEEN). From one of the links at the location references above.

Quote:
Some companies (PIAA...) even capitalize on this by claiming that their 55W bulbs are as bright as 85W bulbs, among other pseudoscientific claims. Here's how this claim works: Higher-wattage bulbs of a given type generally appear whiter than lower-wattage bulbs. Think of the last time you replaced a 60W bulb in your home with a 100W bulb. So the idea with these "blue" filtered bulbs is to have a lower wattage bulb that mimics the color of a higher wattage bulb, but not its performance. However, there's no getting something for nothing. The altered light color does not mean you're getting more light, or better quality light, just that the light is of a different color.

In fact, you get less usable light from such a bulb than from a regular clear bulb, and here's why: A blue filter removes non-blue components of the light passing through it. Halogen bulbs produce very little light in the blue frequency range. When you put a blue filter on the bulb or lamp, you are reducing the amount of usable light that gets from the glowing filament to the reflector, to the lens and from there to the road. Prove it to yourself using nothing more than the windshield in your car...drive towards a yellow-orange Sodium vapor street light and watch the light as it shines first through the clear portion of the windshield, then through the blue strip at the top. Up there through the blue, it certainly looks "whiter"...but it's also dimmer. If a bulb's sales material focuses on the color of the light rather than the amount of light, you should ask critical questions about the amount of light the bulb produces before choosing to use it.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page