Painting a Windscreen - I Had Issues!! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Painting a Windscreen - I Had Issues!!

I went to paint the inside of my trimmed down V-Stream windscreen and had some major issues. I've painted dozens of windscreens over the years, all without issue. After carefully masking off the front side, I always clean the inside with alcohol, to remove any fingerprints and/or oils/residues/dirt/etc. I also use paint that is made for RC car bodies, since it's supposed to adhere great to plastics and acrylics.

However.....after painting the inside of my V-Stream, and letting it dry for a few days, the paint peeled right off!!! I thought I read somewhere that National Cycles (V-Stream maker) uses some sort of coating on their screens. I (incorrectly) assumed it would just be on the outside of the screen.

My plan is to wet sand the inside with 1500 grit to "rough it up" a bit, then try painting it again. Has anyone ever painted the inside of a V-Stream windscreen? Any other thoughts or ideas as to why the paint didn't stick the first time?

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 09:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All windshields likely have a hard coating as do your headlight lenses. Depending on the process, the hard coating is a very thin liquid either sprayed on or part is dipped in it, it is very thin... resists things sticking to it. If painting, I'd go rougher than 1500 grit, say 600 grit... maybe test a piece of plastic first, and see what "roughness" shows through on the non-painted side?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:50 AM
FJR Top Gun

Holy crap!!! Do not go 600grit!!! You will spend hours buffing that back out. 1500 grit scotch bright pad will show through glossy paint. I would start with nothing less than 2000. The liquid polish sold in stores to refinish car headlights is about 2500 grit. That might actually do well for you.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

If I sand the inside, then paint it, won't the paint fill in any voids/scratches left by the sandpaper?

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 02:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think so, but you can test on a piece of acrylic, paint and see what it looks like from the unpainted side you're going to be looking through.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
I went to paint the inside of my trimmed down V-Stream windscreen and had some major issues. I've painted dozens of windscreens over the years, all without issue. After carefully masking off the front side, I always clean the inside with alcohol, to remove any fingerprints and/or oils/residues/dirt/etc. I also use paint that is made for RC car bodies, since it's supposed to adhere great to plastics and acrylics.

However.....after painting the inside of my V-Stream, and letting it dry for a few days, the paint peeled right off!!! I thought I read somewhere that National Cycles (V-Stream maker) uses some sort of coating on their screens. I (incorrectly) assumed it would just be on the outside of the screen.

My plan is to wet sand the inside with 1500 grit to "rough it up" a bit, then try painting it again. Has anyone ever painted the inside of a V-Stream windscreen? Any other thoughts or ideas as to why the paint didn't stick the first time?
if the screen is unblemished, have you thought about just using vinyl? Using a quality vinyl in the color of your choosing will give you the same look and the ability to just remove it at anytime or change it. I would NOT use 600 grit, that is pretty rough, instead use 1500. Paint may need the scoring to give it something to adhere to. Only draw back is if it doesn't stick, you get to polish it back crystal clear.

If you decide to try the vinyl route, works best to take a spray bottle, one or two drops of dish soap, fill up the rest of the way with water, and then shake it up. Clean windshield, mist windshield with the spray bottle, lay on the vinyl, and use a credit card or a squeegee to push the water and air out. Good grief I forgot about doing this back in the day. Just came up with a cool idea I may do to mine now. Thanks!!!
2GENAE likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 04:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shelton View Post
if the screen is unblemished, have you thought about just using vinyl? Using a quality vinyl in the color of your choosing will give you the same look and the ability to just remove it at anytime or change it. I would NOT use 600 grit, that is pretty rough, instead use 1500. Paint may need the scoring to give it something to adhere to. Only draw back is if it doesn't stick, you get to polish it back crystal clear.

If you decide to try the vinyl route, works best to take a spray bottle, one or two drops of dish soap, fill up the rest of the way with water, and then shake it up. Clean windshield, mist windshield with the spray bottle, lay on the vinyl, and use a credit card or a squeegee to push the water and air out. Good grief I forgot about doing this back in the day. Just came up with a cool idea I may do to mine now. Thanks!!!
I have no experience, but I have read that it wonít stick any better than paint. Iíd love for someone to try it so we could have first hand knowledge.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 09:19 PM
FJR Top Gun

When I painted the inside of my cut down FZ-1 windshield I used Krylon spray on for plastic from Home Depot. Never had an issue with it.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
When I painted the inside of my cut down FZ-1 windshield I used Krylon spray on for plastic from Home Depot. Never had an issue with it.
Thatís the paint I used on the V-Stream. I think Iíll mess with it over the weekend. I think Iíll sand the inside with some 3000 grit paper then paint it. Hopefully the paint will fill the ďscratchesĒ so they wonít be visible from the front.

2008 Gen II
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 09:56 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
At the risk of sounding like I've been living under a rock, what is the purpose of painting a motorcycle windscreen? Is it just for the appearance or is there a functional aspect?

Motorcycle Papa, '18 FJR1300A, '05 WR450F, '97 KTM 620RXC/e

"There's never enough horsepower ... Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page