Making AUX light mounts - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Making AUX light mounts

I got this high beam led light bar and im gonna mount it on the forks above the front fender. I measured it up and this is what ive came up with. Ive lit up the bar in the garage with a battery charger and it is very bright! I got a relay and a rocker switch and Im gonna wire it so the high beam activates the relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clamp.jpg (56.3 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

So far so good. Gonna clean up the edges, change to black filament, gonna make a blind hole in the front and have a bolt go thru the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200606_022355_1591428290626.jpg (137.5 KB, 31 views)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 06:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not knowing the height of your light bar, be aware there's not a lot of room there for suspension travel. It's likely better to convert your headlights to F2 LED's and not need that light bar at all.
rbentnail and Gary B. like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 07:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was thinking the same thing Ray, not much room there for a light bar.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Not knowing the height of your light bar, be aware there's not a lot of room there for suspension travel. It's likely better to convert your headlights to F2 LED's and not need that light bar at all.
It's very slim. Around an 1inch wide. It looks like there is plenty of room as long as I didnt majorly underestimate how much the front end goes down. Also this would really be used on the country highways I ride. Which are usually pretty smooth.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Those mounts look like they are 3D printed. I would be concerned that road vibration and the weight of the light bar would make them fail because of where they are mounted.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yup its abs. They're filled in 100% so it's good on the vibration. Theres blue loctite and a few split washers that came with the light.

I do want to get a smaller switch. The one I have is a big rectangle rocker like one that would fit into a boat console LOL so yeah. Ace has one I'll get tomorrow and wire it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15914846905082296798267118972978_1591484730384.jpg (203.0 KB, 22 views)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 07:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Specified fork travel 5.3", minus your light 1", now 4.3" minus when you gear up and sit on it (hold yourself on bike upright as best you can and have some one measure clearance to nearest contact point on top of light). Minus a bit for luggage/tank bag.
The good news is your light brackets will snap off likely before any damage to the fender or nose of the bike, should you run out of suspension on bump or heavy braking dive.
BTW, don't know what you weigh but front fork springs are progressive, crank the preload in until you have one line showing. Assumption you are between 180-200 lbs., so you should do this anyway.

Ray
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Specified fork travel 5.3", minus your light 1", now 4.3" minus when you gear up and sit on it (hold yourself on bike upright as best you can and have some one measure clearance to nearest contact point on top of light). Minus a bit for luggage/tank bag.
The good news is your light brackets will snap off likely before any damage to the fender or nose of the bike, should you run out of suspension on bump or heavy braking dive.
BTW, don't know what you weigh but front fork springs are progressive, crank the preload in until you have one line showing. Assumption you are between 180-200 lbs., so you should do this anyway.
Exactly haha crumple rings. The safety is squirted on.

But I didnt know there are progress springs in the front. I haven't touched the adjustments but I'm like 222 actually lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2020, 07:22 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

OK, crank that preload all the way in. You would benefit from a fork spring upgrade... the standard damping settings are rather on the weak side. Turn the damping screws in until lightly seated and back them out to 8 clicks. Rear shock too. Start there and tweak to your liking.
That said, pretty difficult to bottom out the front suspension completely but you could be close in certain situations. Your lights are taking up an inch of that travel, you still may never hit them.... most of us put fork lights on the side and lower. The LED headlight upgrade I suggested should really eliminate the need for your light bar.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page