Modular helmet opinion - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Modular helmet opinion

I've been thinking getting a new modular helmet after being with riding with full face helmets (Shoei and Arai) all my life. Just wondering how many of you are currently ridding with modular helmets and your opinion. The 3 options that I've been looking at are:
1- Shoei Neotec (or Neotec2)
2- Schuberth C3 Pro
3- Schuberth C4

I already have a communication system so that's why I didn't include the Schuberth C4 Pro. I also found a few places selling left overs C3 Pro and plain C4's for under $400 but I never had a Schuberth helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:49 PM
FJR Top Gun

Cant tell you about the particular helmets you referenced and you will hear that modular are heavier and noisier than a full face, but I can tell you after wearing modular for maybe the last 10 years, that I love mine and dont know if I could go back to a full face helmet.
sgkramar, OZBASS17, Haynes and 2 others like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 06:57 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-...4-helmets.html

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Neotec 2. I own 3. Iíve used Nolan modulars for years as well. You canít go wrong with either, if they fit your head.
Redfish likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The part about: "if it fits your head" is the key. I've got a Neotech that I ordered online and had to get the thinner cheek pads in order to wear it. The original pads that came with it would force my cheeks between my teeth if I opened my mouth. Shoei would swap the (unused) pads at no charge, and perhaps still will. There are a lot of advantages to a modular, comfort wise, if you're not racing.
Bill Lumberg and gmeltzer like this.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have had several modulars and wouldn't go back. They are more noise than a full face, but the better ones are equal to some full faces... I'd vote Neotec2, or if you want much ligher, AGV SportModular carbon fiber. Very similar in noise to the Neotec but a smidge more, and if you wear glasses no recess for them (which eventually will break in some). I have the Sportmodular now, love the lack of weight....
sgkramar and Haynes like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

It's a no brainer, get Schuberth especially if you can get it at some discount, they are the best in helmet business
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 12:03 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I have had several modulars and wouldn't go back. They are more noise than a full face, but the better ones are equal to some full faces... I'd vote Neotec2, or if you want much ligher, AGV SportModular carbon fiber. Very similar in noise to the Neotec but a smidge more, and if you wear glasses no recess for them (which eventually will break in some). I have the Sportmodular now, love the lack of weight....
I couldn't have agreed with this post by RaYzerman more unless I had written it myself.

I have a Shoei Mutlitec (forerunner to the Neotec) and love it. This year I decided to treat myself to a new modular lid to go with my new FJR and wound up purchasing the AGV SportModular Carbon (glossy) after I learned that the Neotec2 uses a ratchet strap (barf). The AGV fits very similar to the Shoei, is noticeably lighter but I believe it is a bit noisier. An XXL AGV is the same size as a Shoei XL. I still use the Multitec when riding my Super Tenere.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"I don't want a pickle . . . "
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 03:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

I had a Neotec and Neotec 2, loved both helmets. The C3 pressed on my forehead and caused a lot of pain so I sold it.

After my neck operation I got rid of the Neotec 2 and went with the Klim TK1200 carbon fiber, lightest modular helmet and with the transition shield, after a year she is a winner.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Had a few modulars over the years, but nothing compares to a Schuberth C4....if it fits your head. I own 3 and will probably be selling a silver one after I ride my FJR back from Houston next month.
Bernie likes this.

2016A FJR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page