Modular helmet opinion - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:00 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have the Nolan n104 and overall I'm very happy. Great field of vision, totally waterproof (so far), lightweight at 1640 grams (3lbs 9oz), great visor and effective drop down sun shield, comfortable with decent air circulation. My only beef is noise and for some reason the left ear pocket seems worse. I wear ear plugs (always) and have recently installed a larger touring windshield so maybe that'll help. All the reviews of this helmet say 'noise' is better than average?!....there must be some really effin' noisy helmets out there! I'd love to put the Nolan in a wind tunnel and blow some smoke over it to see where the turbulence is...I'm suspecting it's the hinge mechanism. Regardless, I'm about due for a new helmet, so reading this thread with great interest.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I had a Nolan N103 some years back, and same thing, everything was great until you started moving, then any speed above 30 Mph rendered the electronics useless, the wind roar was astonishing, it sounded like you had your head up the exhaust pipe of a jet engine.
ice_station_zebra likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #23 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 09:44 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

MY second modular was a Nolan 104... fits round heads, very little chin room, a bit noisy, hollow sounding. To me Neotec beats it easily.
Windshields, my new favourite direction... put a deflector on top, similar to MRA idea, but don't have to spend that much..... Chinese one is $30 and works very well, fully adjustable and a vast improvement over any shield..
Dan Kim likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #24 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have the Nolan 104 too. I love it, but I have a big touring windshield so maybe that's why the noise everybody talks about don't bother me. Now that the noise thing has been pointed out to me, it might bother me tho.
post #25 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM
FJR Top Gun

You can also talk to someone without yelling...unless they are old and hard of hearing, in which case you still have to yell lol, but at least they can read your lips

You can lift the chin bar and

a) sneeze without getting droplets all over the inside of the face shield/chin bar

b) spit out gum that has lost it's flavor ..while you are moving

You can also smooch your Mrs anytime you want without taking your helmet off (off course you have to be careful not to get your mic booms tangled)

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 05-25-2020 at 02:46 PM.
post #26 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have discovered (after only 3 years, what a dumass) that the noise in my Neotech is coming in from the enormous air vent on top. Doesn't matter whether it is open or closed, the noise is nearly the same. Open the face shield and block the vent and the noise goes away. Raise the windshield and get down behind it and most of the noise goes away. I have never tried one of the little wind defector things that fit on top of the windshield, but that may be the answer to the noise. A piece of duct tape may very well work; the silver will match.

Last edited by judgedelta; 05-25-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
post #27 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:23 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
MY second modular was a Nolan 104... fits round heads, very little chin room, a bit noisy, hollow sounding. To me Neotec beats it easily.
Windshields, my new favourite direction... put a deflector on top, similar to MRA idea, but don't have to spend that much..... Chinese one is $30 and works very well, fully adjustable and a vast improvement over any shield..
Thinking about that MRA addition, but seems to me the touring windscreen already flexes a lot and the added weight on the top would make it worse/put a lot of strain on those plastic screws? I know Bob C has the MRA on top of the yamaha touring windscreen with no issues that I've heard of.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
post #28 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I will suggest again to shim the front two bolts on the windshield bracket to tilt it back very slightly and let some air under it. Definitely stopped my V-stream from wiggling around on the Gen3. The Gen2's would benefit from similar treatment (as Rifle did), however, are naturally sloppy in their windshield mechanism and not much of anything will cure that except run it full up or full down. I do have a complete set of windshield bushings, etc. for a Gen2 if you want to remove the nose fairing and get into it....
I wouldn't worry about the MRA or other deflector at all, it's a slight change and air does get underneath it, which is why it works so well. Link to a similar one I'm using on both my current bikes, choose your tint and go with the bigger one. Clamps on the back edge of the windshield, with two set screws.... fully adjustable to any windshield and many combinations of position/angle. Don't expect it to arrive very quickly these days, our Postal System is backed up.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3294...archweb201603_

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #29 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ray, what didnít you like about the schuberthís ?

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #30 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have the largest CeeBailey and after installing Helibars, I tilted it back as Ray suggests. Huge improvement in airflow and aesthetics. My first Modular (HJC IS MAXII) is now 4 yrs old, and fits into the budget category. I spent a lot of time trimming foam from the liners back area and adding foam to the crown area to relieve forehead pressure that was pushing my eyes closed, and changing cheek pads. Fits well now, but this procedure has made me think ill never find a lid off the shelf that will fit.
While operating, i removed the chinbar to allow easier access. I never paid much attention before, but the whole chinbar is just plastic. I wasnt surprised at this, and realize modulars are a compromise, but do question its structural integrity. Like others have said though, i could never go back to a full face, so I had a C3Pro shipped to me about a year ago. It didnt fit, cost $$$, and was sent back almost immediately, but i didnt check the chinbar construction at the time. Im interested in the AGV sportmodular Carbon as my next hat - interested in opinions of the chinbar construction.
Definitely am planning a visit to Iron Pony when all this smoke clears !

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page