Modular helmet opinion - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Any chance you can go to a dealer to try modular helmets you're considering on? Fitment is key to comfort especially. Was trained to fit helmets by an Arai rep when I was a parts person. If possible, wear it for a few minutes, check especially for hot spots on your forehead as that won't loosen up over time. Cheek area should be snug but those pads can be changed for various thicknesses. It normally takes about 10 riding hours for a new helmet liner to conform to your head shape.
Ludwig61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Helmets are like Real Estate - FIT, FIT, FIT. I currently ride with a Nolan N104 Evo. I tried a Schuberth C3 Pro but my ears are too low. Ladies' model was a smidgeon better, but still uncomfortable. Neotec had me biting the inside of my cheeks due to the cheek padding. Didn't know about the free pad swap, but I'll keep that in mind. I'll be in your boat, looking at a new helmet, in another year...

Shoei was working a helmet fitting service....
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES on the way
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The Nolan n104 Evo will stand up to the Neotec 2 all day long. Little more prone to drips at the top of the visor, slightly larger exterior shell size. But their chin bar cams, so you feel little to no drag with the bar up. The Shoei bar catches more air in the up position, and in the locked all the way up position, itís unendurable at speed.
bounce likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:38 PM
FJR Top Gun

If you are near Columbus Ohio at any time, you can visit Iron Pony and try on helmets from practically every maker and color until you get tired or find the one you like..whichever comes first. It's a. Motorcycle accessory store the size of a super Walmart. They also are a dealer for 7 brands of bikes I think.
FJRChuck, Ludwig61 and FJetRguy like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Cant tell you about the particular helmets you referenced and you will hear that modular are heavier and noisier than a full face, but I can tell you after wearing modular for maybe the last 10 years, that I love mine and dont know if I could go back to a full face helmet.

I have had 3 Nolon modulars. The first one was a jump from life long full face types. I can't imagine I will every go back to a full face as the modular types are just so nice. I can't recommend enough.

Good Luck,
bounce, Bill Lumberg and passx like this.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a Shoei GT Air Full face, and a Shoei Neotec, both the first generation. The Neotec has a lot of wind noise along the right side "seam" where the upper and lower part meet when down. I don't know if that has been improved or not on the II, but it would concern me.

I ride with the Neotec on every couple of weeks (keep in mind I ride several times a week). It is easier to put on and take off the Neotec, but once riding they feel exactly the same to me other than the wind noise. To me it is not worth taking the chance on the added noise. BTW, I ride with the windshield all the way down 95% of the time. I only ride with it up in really cold weather. If you like the windshield up all the time, the wind noise is not an issue.

I should point out that I have both because we bought the Neotec for my wife, but she never wore it and quit riding with me about five years ago.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I wore a Shoei RF1100 for several years and loved it. When it was time to replace it, I bought a Neotec (Gen 1) as I was going on a tour and suspected it would be easier to take photographs. I will go back to the RF series next time. The Neotec is heavier and louder and I have never found a good reason to use the flip-front feature. It was a waste of money.

1973 Honda CB750
2001 Honda VT1100C Shadow Spirit
2001 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S
2003 Honda ST1300
2008 KTM Superduke R 990
2011 Honda CB1000R
2014 Triumph Thruxton
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 07:43 AM
FJR Top Gun

Here's one. A sip of hot tea while gassing up lol

Redfish, StratTuner and gmeltzer like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I was a full face HJC guy for a number of years having several but they always wore the hair off the front of my head (hot spot) by summers end, i didn’t know any better. Then I bought my 1st Nolan, what revelation with the modular design ! But it was quite a bit louder and leaked in the rain, Nolan worked on it several times but never got it quiet or dry in the rain. When the n90 came out with the drop down sun shield I bought one, very comfy but very noisey even with ear plugs ( I always wear them) but only in the left ear picket, the right side was quiet and it leaked badly.

2 trips back to Nolan for them to look at it and try to fix it but after the second trip with no better results they (Nolan) announced that they had done all they were going to do and didn’t want me to contact/complain to them again. Yes I was courteous to them, yelling and swearing will get you nowhere !

So I now ride with a Skorpion 3000gt, most comfy helmet I’ve ever had, bar none, but it also leaked in the rain, is noisey (not as bad as my last Nolan) and the anti-fog shield coating really doesn’t work well.

If I keep riding I’m going to need to buy a new helmet at some point but I’m not sure what I’ll get, I was leaning towards. Schuberth but have read some things that are not flattering for what I think is a very expensive helmet. We’ll see ! But it’ll definitely be a modular whatever it is.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can't imagine doing without a modular now... yes they have more noise than full faces, but that depends on windshield, etc. also. You do wear earplugs no matter what helmet, don't you?
In the modulars, the cheaper ones are too noisy for me. Schuberth and Neotec are likely the quietest, AGV Sportmodular right up there too. I'm not a Shuberth fan after having a C3.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page