Rider Footpeg Lowering Brackets - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Rider Footpeg Lowering Brackets

I am starting a new thread on this topic to save others from having to sift through other threads where these are discussed, some of which are quite dated, and other off-topic threads where they have come up in the discussion. This information is current as of May 7, 2020.

You CAN purchase FJR1300 rider footpeg lowering brackets from murphskits.com. They are not listed on the site however you can send an email to [email protected] or call him at 270-322-8097. He is based in Kentucky and is in the Central time zone. Sounded like one **** of a nice guy over the phone. For $93USD you get the brackets and the bolts and nylocs needed to reattach the footpegs (the pins currently holding the footpegs are used to attach the brackets). I believe that shipping to the lower 48 is included but its $20USD to Canada, though my countrymen should also know that there is no duty nor was PST/GST (which would normally add $16.85CAD to the cost at an exchange rate of 1.39384) charged.

Murph told me that he only makes one version of the bracket, which he believes was originally for a Gen1 machine, and he has heard that some have complained that the brackets didn’t fit their bikes. My research on this Forum uncovered riders with the following bikes who said that Murph’s brackets fit their machines: 2005(version unknown), 2008AE, 2015A and 2016ES, and to this list I will add my 2020ES.

I measured the distance from the top of the footpeg to the floor of my garage before and after I installed the brackets (which took about 20 minutes, only because I’m slow) and I can tell you that the brackets lower the rider footpegs by approximately 32mm (1.25”). This is a significant drop and it will affect the lean angle capability of the bike however I believe you’d have to be riding fairly aggressively for this to become an issue.

I took a short (30km) test ride this evening because it was cold (1C) and I didn’t feel like getting all my gear on, and I found it was fairly easy to scrape the pegs during a practice serpentine exercise that I do. I took a ride through a favourite S-bend which can normally be taken at very illegal speeds without scraping the pegs and I did drag the pegs lightly on both sides at those same highly illegal speeds (4 times!) though it was no big deal. If the reduced lean angle is a problem you could always remove the curb feelers and gain back a few degrees and don’t worry, the pegs will still fold with the brackets installed.

I will have to adjust both the shift lever and the rear brake pedal (which I seldom use, other than for U-turns) somewhat but I wouldn’t even consider adding an extension to either as they are not necessary. I did notice that the centre stand is more of an issue for my left heel when I attempt to get up onto the ball of my foot however given my left knee issues bending my leg enough to get up onto the ball of my foot is not a fun thing to do anyway. For reference, I’m 6’-2”, 220lbs and wear Levis 505 jeans in size W36 L34 and a size 48 (13US) boot.

I plan on taking a longer ride this weekend (200-300km) to see how/if the brackets help my comfort/discomfort. I’m betting that they’ll be a great relief, especially to my left leg (a sad story involving a motorcycle and a younger me).

Hope others find this information helpful. Cheers.

Haynes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MyMurphs.jpg (337.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg MyMurphsRt.jpg (147.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg MyMurphsLt.jpg (167.6 KB, 69 views)
BOAN, 2GENAE and blast like this.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX (R.I.P.)
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

"Mi ne volas piklon . . . "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

after you go for that brake pedal in a panic and miss it, u may feel differently about modifying the brake pedal. Lowered pegs will probably give me a few more years of riding because of pain issues, I sure like them
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
after you go for that brake pedal in a panic and miss it, u may feel differently about modifying the brake pedal.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that I also wear a boot in EEE width, which is plenty wide enough to activate the rear brake without having to modify the width of the pedal. I will adjust the pedal's height because with the bracket installed the pedal is too high and I have to lift my foot off the peg to use it when I make a U-turn or perform a parking lot maneuver.

Perhaps you didn't read that I seldom use the rear brake, a habit I got into riding non-ABS equipped bikes and fearing a rear wheel lockup in a panic situation. And no, I don't want to get into a discussion about braking on this thread. This thread is about the availability of rider footpeg lowering brackets.

Haynes

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I rcvd mine in the mail today!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:36 AM
Farkle Trainee

Gary sold me a pair several months ago, polished aluminum looks and works great. I wear a size 12 boot no issues with foot brake pedal.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

3 Month Update

I have now had Murph’s lowering brackets on my 2020 FJR for just over 7,000km of riding pleasure and I am VERY pleased with them. Given my left knee issues, if I had been unable to obtain the lowering brackets I was considering selling the bike: it was that painful and limiting to ride without the brackets. I envy those of you (younger, shorter, injury-free) who can ride without them, as I did from 2006-2012, however for my old, long, injured leg (knee) these brackets are perfect. Bit of a work of art too: beautifully machined with a glossy finish. Given my research I’m betting they will fit all generations and models of FJR except possibly the auto-clutch (or whatever Yamaha called it) version.

The FJR Lowering Brackets are now listed on the Murphs’ Kits website at murphskits.com . The price is up a bit at $95.40USD as is the shipping to Canada (now $30USD) however I think they’re still a bargain. These brackets are likely the best accessory I will ever add to the FJR for as I said, without them I might have had to sell the bike.

Haynes

PS to my Canadian friends: The good news is that the exchange rate has improved, to 1.33 from 1.39 when I made my purchase, and remember too that there is no Duty or PST/GST/HST.
blast likes this.

2020 Yamaha FJR1300ES
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2006 Yamaha FJR1300A
2000 Honda CBR 1100XX
1989 Yamaha FJ1200
1963 Honda CB72
1982 Suzuki GS1100e
1985 Yamaha 750 Virago
1973 Kawasaki S2 350

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 11:38 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for that excellent review. I did order a pair.
I will trade off that slight lean angle for lower peg leg comfort any day.

Last edited by Michael Kuszek; 08-10-2020 at 01:58 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I got the lowering adapters today.
Do I adjust the shifter position as well as the brake lever? How do I adjust the shifter position?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post
Do I adjust the shifter position as well as the brake lever? How do I adjust the shifter position?
I have not done this to my FJR yet .. but on my Bandit 1200 I had to remove the shift fork ( small bolt ) and rotate it a notch .. but I will say was the best mod I ever did to the Bandit .. was a last minute change before a 7000 mile ride ..never took them off ..I figured it would be temporary ..
Gong to order some for the FJR now
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kuszek View Post

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-...djustment.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page