14 ES Braided Brake lines Source - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

14 ES Braided Brake lines Source

Tried both Galfer & Spiegler web sites but neither offer braided kits to fit 14 ES. Your knowledge of sources would be helpful. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 09:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can only suggest HEL... Galfer I thought had kits for Gen2's, no reason I can think of why one of those wouldn't work. The only hoses needing replacement are the rubber ones, no need to go all crazy and replace the steel lines... you'd have to drop the engine to get them out. So you'd need to ask questions as to what lines come in the kit.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Saw Revzilla has a kit that supposedly fits my bike so I'll have to got that way. Appreciate your suggestion of HEL.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I see it's a Galfer kit..... you should ask what's in the kit. Also if you have a Helibar or MRA riser, you should request the line to the brake master cylinder is 2" longer. Same for the clutch line...... you'd have to ask if there is an extra charge for that.

The way it works is they place an order with Galfer and Galfer ships direct to you (my recent experience with another vendor). Takes up to a week.

A note on the clutch line, it is a steel line with rubber lines on the master cylinder end and the clutch slave end. It is bolted/clipped to the inside of the frame where you can't really get at it to undo the bolts. Rather than drop the engine, just cut off the rubber ends and flush the steel line with isopropanol, then snake the new line in.
All the kits for FJR Gen2/3 should be the same, there was no difference in lines for A or ES to my knowledge.

Ray
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Greatly appreciate your guidance Ray
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have the Helibar riser on my '12 and have request into Galfer (yesterday) for complete kit with +4" on clutch and brake lines. Expecting a quote on Tue. They will pretty much make anything. Good folks.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
sparkie likes this.

'15 Suzuki S40 - wife's bike
'12 FJR1300a (unnamed)
'09 Vulcan 500 (Artoo) - traded in for FJR, due to lack of use
'86 Rebel 250 (LilBlu)
'97 ST ABS (BigRed)
'78 CB750K - my 1st "big bike", got sold to oldest brother, who eventually sold it youngest brother, then out of family.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Found a complete Galfer kit, all ABS & clutch/brake lines in Parts Unlimited catalog. That's been ordered so we'll see how it works soon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 01:28 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I just wanted to bring this up from the past .. a place in Tacoma WA Williams Oil Filter Service will build any sort of line you want
I had them build steel braided lines for my Suzuki Bandit before ..and intend on having them build some for the FJR .. last I checked prices were about half
of a Galfler
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

14 ES Braided Brake lines Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
I just wanted to bring this up from the past .. a place in Tacoma WA Williams Oil Filter Service will build any sort of line you want I had them build steel braided lines for my Suzuki Bandit before ..and intend on having them build some for the FJR .. last I checked prices were about half of a Galfler
mattemike,

Most decent hydraulics shops can duplicate your old hoses locally, with braided stainless steel an custom colored translucent or clear sheathing. They can make longer lines, if needed. Make sure to get the banjo ends that can be rotated in the hose, because hydraulic hoses do not twist.

They also make banjo bolts with brake-bleeders in them, which make it easy to bleed the system near the master cylinder (right-priced at ~US$20 each). Never did understand how to make air bubbles go down in a fluid, without them.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Going back a coupla years or more, an FJR guy worked with HEL to make a longer brake line for those with MRA or Helibridge riser plates, 3" longer and like $50.

What red says..... Good on the bleeder for the master cylinder, or the messier way is to crack the banjo bolt to get it primed... could also backfill from below with a syringe.

Galfer's will have fixed banjo fittings in the right orientation, but there are variations. Not fun fighting with stainless lines that won't twist if it's a hair off. There are Russell lines where you order the length you want and install separate banjos... I vote working with the local guy, but you may need to have all your lines off so you know lengths, etc...

Note clutch line is nigh on impossible to remove because you almost need the engine out since it's attached inside the frame.... can snip off the rubber end parts (flush with isopropanol first) and fish a new stainless line up there.... I have a stainless line here for that, was supposed to be for FJR length... I never got around to putting it on, it certainly would (IMHO) improve FJR clutch action.

Note too with an empty system, if you have SpeedBleeders, priming up your new lines will be troublesome.... best temporarily install stock type bleeders... or use a vacuum bleeder.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page