Halocam M1 install - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Halocam M1 install

I finished installing a Halocam M1 on my 2015. Turned out great. The whole camera system seems really well built and I am happy with the purchase (so far). I am still waiting for an SD Card in the mail so I don't have any video yet, but the quality of the components, connection to phone, etc seem great.

Any questions, let me know.

I put the main unit under the front seat. It comes with a 12v to 5v adapter but I already have one with an unused USB lead so I ran it off that. It is run off switched power.

Starting to get a little crowded in there. I used about half the cable length they give you - which is better than too short, right? I did the best I could with the cable management. The cable runs along the bottom right side of the gas tank. I snaked a string through using a 3ft zip tie and pulled it through.

The screen turns off after 30 seconds. It is held in place with a magnetic mount that came with the kit. Secures enough to hold it, easy to release it.

The rear cam is attached to one of the bolts of the Givi mount. No issues there.

Note: In case you think the camera lens looks wierd - you're right. It has a decorate bezel around the lens that is light blue and makes the camera stand out so much. I popped the bezel off, coloured it black with a sharpie and glued it back in. From more than a foot away you can't notice it. Why wouldn't they make that black?

Now, the front cam. I wanted it as high as possible and discrete. The dash, behind the windshield was not an option as the view is blocked when the screen is raised up... so, next highest was the 'beak' at the front. I cut up and bend a piece of aluminum and fitted it in place.

I used some JB Weld to glue it in place and now it is solid as a rock.

JohnC likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:39 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Real NICE! Good job on both ends. I really like the front, good place for it. Looking forward to seeing some ride vids.

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 05:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nice install. Insurance for if someone hits you?

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Nice install. Insurance for if someone hits you?
I've had one in my car for years and it was on my wish list for the bike... there is a certain sense of security having it there. A couple of weeks ago (in my car) I honked at someone that dead stopped in the middle of a round-about to let someone in. This idiot slammed on his brakes, exited his truck and aggressively verbally attack me at my window. He was a joke, so it was actually pretty funny... but, it was nice having it all on camera. That made me move the camera up on the wish list.
Bill Lumberg, FjrjrF and 2GENAE like this.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 09:02 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Darn it!!!!! I just said in another post that I was done farkling. Hmmm, this looks interesting. Lord knows, rare to find any honest ones out there. When ever I come up on a horrific accident that has snarled traffic, I always say, 'the one that cased this wreckage probably clipped and cut and just kept on driving...'. Lue42, just curious, do you have the segments set for 5 minutes? Did you install that manual button near the grips?

- Jim,

2014 GenIII RED ES
2002 RED VTX1800c, she is STILL sweet!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Here is the first video...

I have to play around with it some more - not 100% sure yet. It is absolutely not vlogging quality - it IS a dash cam. For a front and back camera with wifi connection and the added complexity of a bike connection vs a car - it is a good price compared to what is available for cars.

There is a bit of compression going on here on Imgur... the original is clearer.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NqRVkGY
FjrjrF likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
Lue42, just curious, do you have the segments set for 5 minutes? Did you install that manual button near the grips?
I have it one 1 minute right now... it makes offloading the videos wirelessly quicker for sure.
I don't think I'll be using the button very much so one less thing running up to the handlebars. I put the button right in front of the seat on the right. It is easy to reach when riding.

JohnC and FjrjrF like this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 05:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lue42 View Post
It is absolutely not vlogging quality - it IS a dash cam.
I think it's a very decent quality for intended purpose, it's Sony image sensor after all, as long as they hold to the vibrations, Good job
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I just added a Halocam M1 to my bike this weekend. I wish I had seen your solution for the front camera first! I put the trigger right next to the throttle, front cam up high off the dash, and after first putting the DVR/control unit on the steering head nut, I moved it under the seat after I figured out it wasn't water proof! That was after the inaugural ride, so I had to pull the fairing off again (to run the wires where I wanted them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2321.jpg (126.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.jpg (237.9 KB, 19 views)

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 10:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lue42 View Post
I have it one 1 minute right now... it makes offloading the videos wirelessly quicker for sure.
I don't think I'll be using the button very much so one less thing running up to the handlebars. I put the button right in front of the seat on the right. It is easy to reach when riding.
I like the idea of the switch placement, but wouldn't the left side be better? I mean, in a high stress situation where you need to press the button, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep your hand on the throttle?
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page