Have Givi Mount? Add LED Strip for Visibility! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Have Givi Mount? Add LED Strip for Visibility!

Had a spare 11 inch red LED strip.

Why not expand your visual footprint (when your top trunk is off)?

Added it to my GIVI top trunk mount on the lip.

And ran the wiring directly to my switched fuse block under the seat.

Results:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR GIVI Mount - 11-inch LED B.jpg (62.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg FJR GIVI Mount - 11-inch LED A.jpg (55.6 KB, 22 views)

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 09:33 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Jtdunc, how about expanding on this a bit ? Like what leds you used and how you wired it in ? It looks great !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Jtdunc, how about expanding on this a bit ? Like what leds you used and how you wired it in ? It looks great !
Yes, I also swapped out my stock Yamaha tail lights for LED replacement units off eBay.

NOTE: you will have a white stripe on your bike during the daytime. It's not black.

As to the process:

They don't sell single LEDs so you can find another place for the spare or keep it as a replacement:

1. Consider where you're placeing the LED strip, plan out how much 18 gauge wiring you'll need to solder or Posi-Tap butt splice on. I used about 28" of red and black wiring for the + and - ground.

2. I ran the wiring under the GIVI top trunk, zip tied and threaded it through the right handlebar/top trunk mount.

3. You can route the wiring through the cutouts welded on top of the aluminum framing - big slots.

4. With more than 2' of wire, that should bring you to the middle of your under seat storage area where most have tools or an aftermarket fuse block.

5. Black wire to this LED's black wire for ground. Red wire to the LED's white wire (+positive).

6. If you are connecting to a switched relayed fuse block like me, I simply put a connector on each of the positive and ground wires, connected to the block and added a 3 amp fuse as a single LED strip this small are probably only running a 1/2 amp.

7. Once you have the wiring completed, you can affix the LED strip to the rear of your bike. For me, on the bottom of my GIVI top trunk mount - perfect lip for an LED.

8. These LED strips come with 3M double sided tape installed. You have to clean that surface with SimplyGreen or some other degreaser - let dry or wipe with a clean lint-free cloth. Then center and stick the LED strip on the rear of your bike.

DONE

Now if you don't have a fuse block, you could run your wiring to the ACC terminals in the fuse box next to your battery.

Or you could tap into your bike's running lights circuit. But that is another discussion.

Just wanted to share this farkle as it's effective and cheap.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

This strip might be better as it is black and incorporatates signal, running and brake lights... I was planning on getting one of them to try out - too bad Amazon's (Canada) shipping is a month out right now

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
[QUOTE=lue42;1251337]This strip might be better as it is black and incorporatates signal, running and brake lights... I was planning on getting one of them to try out - too bad Amazon's (Canada) shipping is a month out right now

I looked at those but ruled them out as I already have LED Tail lights and just wanted to enlarge my lighting profile.

Waiting for another set of 23" LEDs by the same manufacturer to put on underneath the silver bottom lip of my GIVI top trunk. A Halo around the back and sides of my top trunk. I'll posi-tap into my trunks LEDs.

Just don't want several things flashing at those behind me. Already have Skene's P3s on rear too.

Set up your FJR and show us.

Just showing once way I did it. I really only had to butt splice two wires and add connectors on the other side.

In the end, more light hopefully will get me seen (if I don't ride defensively).

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yeah you don’t want a strobe light show behind you so I wouldn’t want too much flashing going on. The solid glow sounds good.

I have brake lights in my Givi v47 so it might be too much with these too. I was looking to add brake/signals to the FJR side luggage so I will focus on that search. I had Admore’s on my Givi side bags on my last bike and felt really safe with the wider lights behind. Just have to find a nice quick release option like Admore uses - maybe I’ll look into using their side luggage wiring options. Expensive, but nice stuff.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page