FJR Owners Forum banner

UnFarkling?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  GuitarDave 
#1 ·
While working on the bike installing the heated seat wiring and switches I decided to do a little un-farkling. I removed this little item from inside the fairing assembly. If you know what it is, what's your opinion of it? I always thought it was unnecessary and more of a nuisance than anything else.

Zwartie

See less See more
#5 ·
In 12 yrs I've never had a problem with mine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#7 ·
The only reason I removed it was because I was in there anyway working on the heated seats switches. I found it a pain to turn the ignition on every time I need to get into that glove box. I keep my ear plugs and ear buds in the glove box and nothing else of any value.

#9 ·
I hadn't thought of that, but then again I've never heard (yet) of a thief breaking into an FJR glovebox. It definitely is a nuisance sometimes which is why when i open it for the garage door opener I keep in there, I leave it open while at home. To me it's more trouble taking it out (and someday reinstalling) than any kind of day-today nuisance factor.

#10 ·
Well, that was fun. Removed the instrument panel surround and the panel just aft of the glove box. Removed the solenoid and the mechanism. Put it all back together and now can access my glove box without the ignition. If anyone wants to steal my cloth and face shield spray, they're welcome to it.

#11 ·
Just curious but you removal guys, does the lid release button now work without the ignition on?

#12 ·
I removed mine also because it's a pain to turn the ignition on. How many people do you think walk up to an FJR and even know that compartment is there? I put my wallet and phone in mine and I never leave them in there when I walk away from the bike anyway.

#14 ·
I have a small keychain garage door opener remote velcroed to the inside of the lid.. don't even have to look to activate it.

Reactions: 2GENAE
#16 ·
I did the same thing Ray and drilled a hole in the inside of the box and mounted one of your ABS connector/switch.

It's plugged into the YCCS so if I nerd out and throw the SHIFT light ON and clutch will not release I can go into the system and clear all codes or adjust the RPM engagement up/down.

#17 ·
I removed the solenoid from mine because I did have one go bad a few years ago and it is not a single replaceable item The dealer service center had to replace the entire glove box... And I decided I didn't want to go through that expense ever again... Beyond that it really is a pain in the ass turning on the key before opening the box which isn't really security anyway

Reactions: ice_station_zebra
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.