FJR Owners Forum banner

Throttle Lock

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Haynes 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 FJR and would like to add a few Farkles. First would be a throttle lock/cruise control, any suggestions on which one works best on the FJR?
My next item would be an after market seat. I had a Sargent seat on my 2005 R1200RT and liked it, dose anyone have one they would like to sell, I only need the front, I assume it will work with the stock back seat.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! "Works best" is so subjective, i.e., everyone has an opinion!

I have 2 throttle locks on my '07. First one is a Brake-Away. Very pricey, PITA to install & adjust, kinda quirky with large changes in temperature. But perfect and easy to use once adjusted, especially with bulkier gloves. Not easy to tweak the throttle once locked but simple operation offsets that.

The 2nd one is a Kaoko. Pricey for what you get but simply put, it works! Simple install, most times it requires two hands to operate. Can also be used as a tension reliever for the '07's stiffer throttle for the long flat-n-straight I often ride at the North & South Carolina coasts. It's a friction type lock so unlike the Brake-Away, it's not just ON or OFF. It can be set somewhere in between, handy sometimes. Easy to tweak throttle if not set too tightly.

The absolute best all-round throttle lock I've used is the Vista Cruise. Best $23 I ever spent! I liked it so much that over the yrs I actually installed 2. But it does require a throttle cable housing (at the handle bars) and some modification of the unit to install. Not too bad if you work with and/or modify stuff a lot but can be a challenge for the "all thumbs" types. Simple to adjust and use afterward, works good with gloves. Easy to tweak throttle when set.

Each of the types I have have their own pros & cons. I highly recommend all but given the choice I'd start with the the Vista Cruise if you're mechanically inclined, or the Koako if you're not. The Brake-Away is a fine piece of engineering and if you're up to the challenge, go for it! You won't be disappointed with any of these choices. I use the Brake-Away probably 70% of the time.

But be warned- many folks did the spring unwind mod on the '07's to relieve the throttle tension. Fiction type throttle locks like may not allow the throttle to spring back when released like it should. I never did the spring unwind b/c I'm a manly man :-D & it's never bothered me.

#4 ·
Everyone will tell you how great the Vista Cruise
is and how much they love it.
But a few will tell you what a finicky pos it really is and after multiple adjustments it’s still not quite right. Too tight that the throttle doesn’t close when released or too loose and it won’t hold the throttle open steady.
Save yourself the aggravation and get a NEP Cruise Control ( throttle lock ). Adjust it after installation and you’ll never need to touch it again.
The one on my current bike is 14 yo and only gets adjusted if I remove it for some reason.
I replaced my last Vista Cruise with an
Audiovox CCS-100 because I grew tired of
fiddling with it.
Having a throttle lock is nice, having one that
works is wonderful.

#5 ·
Go Cruise and a Cramp Buster. My 2 cents.

Haynes

Reactions: bugboy
#6 · (Edited)
I love my Vista Cruise.

It is pretty simple to install if you can drill a hole and tap a small hole. If you can't do those things and you can't adjust a simple friction throttle lock then don't get a Vista Cruise.

I posted a few pics down below.

The first pic is the Vista Cruise as it comes to you. The 90 degree part with two "fingers" need to be lopped off with a dremel or even a hack saw, the flat tab that is left, after the 90 degree part with the "fingers" is removed, needs to be drilled with a small hole.

Then you drill and tap the throttle housing.

The most difficult part is to get just the right length and size screw that is long enough to go through the hole in the Vista Cruise tab and into the housing far enough to firmly position the Vista Cruise without going so far into the Throttle Housing as to impede the movement of the throttle tube.

The last picture is the screw that I used in mine.

The middle pics are my Vista Cruise installed.

Note the position of the screw that holds the Vista Cruise on, It is positioned right where the two pieces of the throttle housing come together, with the screw installed there, the "thumb lock" part is in the most sensible and easily operated position.

Spare throttle housings are cheaply available on Ebay, if you want to experiment.

One last point. This is FRICTION LOCK and the FJR uses a PLASTIC throttle tube. Over years the Vista Cruise wore down my plastic throttle tube to the point it wouldn't "tighten" any more. I purchased a cheap used throttle tube off Ebay, which fixed the problem.

Attachments

#7 ·
I didn't like the Vista Cruise for the reason of wearing the throttle tube, often couldn't tweak the tension to grip the slippery plastic, however, not bad at all. There are newer Go Cruise out there, they grip the grip and have an adjustable thumb screw to vary the tension.
On current bikes have the Brake Away, but they can be finicky if not lined up perfectly. Good device though, worth the money.
Not a fan of the Cramp Busters, unless you trim them narrower, otherwise can be dangerous. Much better option is the Original Throttle Boss, which is a rubber thing easily attached, narrower, much more useful and prevents that accidental oh-**** unintended application of throttle in some panic situations. Lots of knock-offs out there now, but their rubber strap is a little too short. OK if using the small OEM grips, not so good if you padded them with Grip Buddies or Grip Puppies.... can always trim them off I 'spose, but prefer the Original.

#8 ·
Loved the Cramp buster on my old '98 R1100RT. At the time, i thought it was the best $10 i ever spent. Never considered it dangerous until the day it crept up my loose jacket sleeve and when i went to move my arm i jerked the steering a little. Got the heart racing a bit :)
Never rode with a loose sleeve again and never had another problem !

#11 · (Edited)
As RaYzerman says, there are Go Cruise locks out there with adjustable friction wheels. That is the version you want: made from aluminium versus the non-adjustable plastic version. The aluminum one is twice the price (about $45CAD) of the plastic one, and worth it. Easy to install (no drilling or cutting required) in seconds, and to remove so it doesn't grow legs and walk away when you're parked.

There are different sizes and widths of Cramp Busters. I would only ever use the narrow version: 1" versus 2.25". They extend about 2" and could be trimmed shorter. I always wear gauntlet style gloves so having it slip inside the sleeve of my jacket is a non-issue. Even though my 2020 ES has electronic cruise control I will be installing a Cramp Buster ($14CAD). Money well spent.

Haynes

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.