Lighting Up Rear of Saddlebags - LEDs - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Lighting Up Rear of Saddlebags - LEDs

Other than this COVID-19 crisis, many of us commute to and from work on our FJRs. Being constantly in highway and city traffic, I'm very focused on visibility to the cagers.

Yes, I ride as if I'm invisible but additional lighting is a good defense.

Seems that we could extend our visual footprint to help avert rear end collisions and greater visibility.

With that in mind . . . Has anyone installed LED strips to the rear of our saddlebags?

If so, could you please discuss whether you are running them as just markers or did you integrate into braking lights?

Was thinking some think this:

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I like that. Nice photos.

I use real-time industries reflectives. Whole back end lights up from even indirect light at night.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 02:08 PM
FJR Top Gun

Like Bill, I use reflective tape,(shown here with flash lighting from camera) but led lighting is probably a better idea because it can be seen day or night.

without flash lighting

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
My current rear view:

My new concept rear for more daytime visibility:

the Ferret, which LEDs to you place in that lower rear reflector? How did you do that?
Sete Bond likes this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post

the Ferret, which LEDs to you place in that lower rear reflector? How did you do that?
There are no leds in there it's just the stock reflector that is reflecting the light from the camera flash

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
JT if you like LEDs instead of reflector here is what I did 🙂

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-.../topics/145199
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200323-145241_Chrome_1584996964643.jpg (745.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200323-145259_Chrome_1584996985818.jpg (804.3 KB, 82 views)
jtdunc, Sete Bond and hANNAbONE like this.

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
JT if you like LEDs instead of reflector here is what I did 🙂

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-.../topics/145199
I really liked the reflector replacement idea. I received my Skene P3 lights today, installing tomorrow.
Damir likes this.

Anthony

'15 Yamaha FJR1300ES
'07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'05 Triumph Bonneville America
......Kids.......
'82 Yamaha Maxim 750
'81 Honda CB650
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 09:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

On an FJR, I haven't seen any add-on LED's on bags that would suit my taste. The RealTime reflectors are good, I even trimmed off the top half so they look nice with the Yammy logo on the bottom half of the bag.
In my Goldwing days, there was a molding on the side of the bags and wrapped around the rear, one guy was making them with LED's, spaced every inch, wired with resistors as required. The LED's were simple ones, drilled a hole installed a sleeve and inserted the LED.... I was so cool back then, LOL, but at least they were tasteful as they looked integrated.
I have some combo stick type lights on my HOnda, mount them on an angle bracket off the licence plate, or where the red rear reflectors are. These are not superbright, but have a flashing brake light, and sequential amber signals.. gets attention. The set also comes with ones for the front, a white running light, and switch to amber sequential signals.... I will have to get some pics or video... had many comments on them..... from China, set of 4
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...archweb201603_

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

I like the idea of lights facing aft that show the width of the FJR. I have the RealTime Industries pannier reflective decals, but would like lights that would be more visible in the daylight. I'm contemplating the Admore pannier mounted lights, but they would only be helpful when the panniers are on the bike, and I ride a lot with them not on the bike. And, I'm concerned with how robust the Admore pannier set up would be over time, if the panniers are put on and taken off innumerable times, with each time involving either connecting or disconnecting the wiring.

I'm currently looking at options for having LEDs - ideally signal and brake lights - mounted on the rear-facing surface of T-Rex pannier guards, as these are at the widest part of my FJR. No success so far, as those guards are tubular and curved, both features that present challenges for robust mounting. I would welcome any and all suggestions.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Was thinking of these 17" LED red strips:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page