Lighting Up Rear of Saddlebags - LEDs - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Here in The States, yes it is illegal to have yellow signal lights illuminating when braking. To be "legal" you'd have to change them to red. I've used this product before after replacing the yellow with red bulbs and clear lenses
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/73...ake-controller
On the old ST1100 forum, they had a user manufacture clear front signals plastic. Then they replaced the bulb with an LED that would show white until the turn signal were activated. At that point they would flash yellow. I always thought that it was an incredibly efficient way to provide better visibility (triangle frontage). I never understood why it's not the norm.

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 08:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Russ is correct, yellow running or brake lights to the rear are a no-no in most all jurisdictions, as are blue, and always flashing brake lights (when braking). That said, what are the odds of you getting cited for that... they'll get you on blue.

On my '07, I ran the Kisan Signal Minder which replaces the turn signal flasher (can't do this with Gen3 unless you're an electronics whiz). It had options to turn the signals into running (at half power of signals/brake lights) and brake lights, also had add-on yellow to front/red to rear stick-ons strips under your mirrors (sequential signals). These flashed at every brake application 3 times and went solid. Ran it for years, nobody said anything except positive comments from other riders. I also had a Whelen Strip-Lite bar (96 LED's for red brake and amber signals) which the Kisan module ran the signals as running/brake lights.

My spin on conspicuity, you want something people aren't expecting, and it doesn't take much. I put 10W white (or amber) LED's on the forks down lower to create a triangle effect with the headlights, and they need to be not so bright as to obscure/blind oncoming traffic to your front turn signals.
12 O'clock Labs makes some less expensive small modules where you can have signals as running lights, as well as the one Russ mentioned, you have to tap into the OEM wiring.

On my recent bikes, I have some aftermarket turn signals front and rear, with sequential signals, but also brief flashing red brake lights and white running lights to the front (low power, likely more like 5W). Again, lots of positive comments. I'll have to make a wee video and post it up (my task for today I guess, stay tuned). These ones are real cheap ($15 a set) but work.

As for flashing brake lights, if I follow you in the twisties, always flashing is annoying, so best go the California route and flash three or four times and come on solid.
The ST guys used what are called Switchback LED bulbs, white running lights which reverted to signals when activated. Their signals are up in their mirrors, so lots of separation from headlights. Can't use these on Gen3 as the LED's can't be replaced.

Not sure either if this is possible with Gen3 as I've heard of issues when tapping into the LED circuits..... perhaps there's a way to use the turn signal circuit as running lights and disable the lower powered running lights with some diode arrangement...

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:40 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Here in The States, yes it is illegal to have yellow signal lights illuminating when braking. To be "legal" you'd have to change them to red. I've used this product before after replacing the yellow with red bulbs and clear lenses
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/73...ake-controller
that's an interesting harness, but I guess it wouldn't work with the Gen3 all LED's, and the yellow LED's in the rear are not serviceable

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

When looking for information on 4 flashers law's I learned that it's all over the place (both the US and Canada) and left for free interpretation, it's one of the least regulated item in "motor vehicle regulations", i.e. here is what Ontario traffic law is saying:

Can you drive with your hazard lights or four-way flashers turned on?
In Ontario, there are no specific restrictions on hazard light use. You can drive with your four-way flashers or hazard lights on as required.

Obviously, this should not be done in normal driving conditions because your turn signals won't function.

There are several reasons you may want to activate your hazard lights. These examples are by no means a universal convention, and there is considerable controversy about some of them. However, in general, communicating with other drivers by using your vehicle's lights and signals is a good thing.

You are stopped on the road or at the side of the road. I don't think anyone disagrees with this idea. If your vehicle is disabled, or you absolutely have to stop on the shoulder for some reason, activate your hazard lights.
You are travelling signficantly below the speed limit. If you are travelling below the speed limit by 20 km/h or more, you may want to activate your four-way flashers to warn traffic behind you. Naturally, there should be some reason you are travelling this slowly.
Visibility is seriously degraded in bad weather. This is related to #2. If you're driving in heavy rain, snow, or fog and are travelling more slowly than normal, you can activate your hazard lights. Your full vehicle lighting (headlights and tail-lights) must also be activated as required by Section 62(1) of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. The on-and-off flashing of the hazard lights may be more visible to some drivers than the steady light from other vehicle lighting. Of course, you really shouldn't be driving in these conditions if possible.
Traffic is slow or stopped ahead of you. You can use your four-way flashers to warn traffic behind you. This is relatively uncommon in the US and Canada. Many people choose to briefly activate their brake lights instead, however this is more easily missed if drivers behind you look away for a moment.

The only mention of four-way flashers in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act is in Section 62:

62(14). Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

and more on LED's laws in Canada:

Crucially the use of flashing lights attached to regular bikes ridden by regular riders is illegal, yet flashing lights attached to clothing are legal. A belt, helmet or a jacket with LED lights is legal, and they can flash too. ... The only lights on a motorcycle which can automatically flash are the indicators. So it seems the 3 flash strobe Skene's are not allowed, or any other pulsating "Headlights or brake lights)

Alberta Traffic says that some colours are legal based on where they are on the bike. If the light is visible from the rear of the bike, it must be red. If the bike is visible at the sides of the bike, it must be orange. If it is visible from the front, it must be white. The lights can't be strobing or flashing in any way, regardless of the colour.

All motor vehicles in Canada can only have a maximum of 4 lights on the front, in combination of white and yellow. I have a total of 8, just in case

Underglow LED's not allowed in Canada

High beaming and warning others, day or night will get you ticket

New lighting standard
As of September 2021 the Canadian Vehicle Lighting Regulation will require that all new vehicles sold in Canada have one of the following:
tail lights that come on automatically with daytime running lights
headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that turn on automatically in the dark
a dashboard that stays dark to alert the driver to turn on the lights
This standard will apply to all new vehicles (cars, trucks, SUVs, 3-wheeled vehicles, motorcycles and heavy trucks).

With the new and super bright LED technology, the old practice of daytime use of high beams is becoming and issue, and the word is it will become regulated, as more and more drivers are reporting being blinded even on a sunny day. The counter effect is drivers (cagers) tend to look away, when approaching your bike shinning high's, creating more potential of collision.The amount of "lumens or candella" the Aux LED's are producing will also become regulated.

TBH some of the latest red brake lights on Audi's, Hyundai's etc are "too bright" especially at night, and sometimes you really have to look away to make it easier on your eyes.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 04:14 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Damir, buy an RCMP guy a coffee one day and discuss.... nobody has stopped me yet. And amber turn signals are legal to the rear. I have noticed many of the newer cars now have red turn signals on the back, i.e., no more Euro look it seems. I personally like amber ones, but all is kool.

I support the new standard, I've followed countless cars after dark with only their daytime running lights (headlights at half power), but the IP does illuminate giving them the false impression they have real lights... tail lights and any marker lights do not come on in that case, rather a hazardous situation.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Damir, buy an RCMP guy a coffee one day and discuss.... nobody has stopped me yet. And amber turn signals are legal to the rear. I have noticed many of the newer cars now have red turn signals on the back, i.e., no more Euro look it seems. I personally like amber ones, but all is kool.

I support the new standard, I've followed countless cars after dark with only their daytime running lights (headlights at half power), but the IP does illuminate giving them the false impression they have real lights... tail lights and any marker lights do not come on in that case, rather a hazardous situation.
Ha ha Ray, yes for sure Tim Horton is not considered a bribe, I allways buy Timmy coffee and doughnuts to people that do service on my cars and bikes, little favors goes a long way, most of these mechanics are underpaid and underappreciated anyway.
I am not worried about getting a citation on any of my farkles, if pulled over a simple "I am sorry officer I didn't know" usually resolves any issues, nice and polite "canadian way" 😄
So many rules are a "gray area" anyway, so for the time being it's "free for all" when it comes to farkles anything goes, as long as you are not flashing "blue and red strobes" 😂
We should move to Thailand, no limits there, attached picture of Thailand farkled bus 😄
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extreme-thai-bus_1590619613913.jpg (128.2 KB, 19 views)

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 03:10 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
No LED's needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC1_7881.jpg (322.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg NC1_7880.jpg (295.0 KB, 22 views)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 02:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Ha ha Ray, yes for sure Tim Horton is not considered a bribe, I allways buy Timmy coffee and doughnuts to people that do service on my cars and bikes, little favors goes a long way, most of these mechanics are underpaid and underappreciated anyway.
I am not worried about getting a citation on any of my farkles, if pulled over a simple "I am sorry officer I didn't know" usually resolves any issues, nice and polite "canadian way" 😄
So many rules are a "gray area" anyway, so for the time being it's "free for all" when it comes to farkles anything goes, as long as you are not flashing "blue and red strobes" 😂
We should move to Thailand, no limits there, attached picture of Thailand farkled bus 😄
I just can't help but think about how many amps of alternator power this requires, LED's or not.

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page