Lighting Up Rear of Saddlebags - LEDs - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2020, 11:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I am personally obsessed with LED's and am looking at something on the back of the bags as well. When I had my Road King I installed a pair of Custom Dynamics 'Plasma Rods' between the bags and the fender, they work as run/brake in red and amber turn signals all in one unit. The down side is they aren't flexible so they are mounted to a flat straight surface. Another item they have is called Truflex which will wrap around the part you are mounting them to. Sete Bond is looking for something for the bag crash bars, I'm looking into this because the orientation of the led's is 90 degrees out of whack so the Truflex won't work. Some of this company's items seem pricey but from experience they are not cheap junk and stand up well, they are geared more to the HD crowd but still have items we could use on our bikes.

https://www.customdynamics.com/vehic...led-light-bars
Sete Bond and oldbaldsob like this.

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Here's my recent LED lighting project in the rear of my Gold Wing using the 11" LEDs from Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200330_203708.jpg (59.4 KB, 29 views)
Sete Bond likes this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_van View Post
I am personally obsessed with LED's and am looking at something on the back of the bags as well. When I had my Road King I installed a pair of Custom Dynamics 'Plasma Rods' between the bags and the fender, they work as run/brake in red and amber turn signals all in one unit. The down side is they aren't flexible so they are mounted to a flat straight surface. Another item they have is called Truflex which will wrap around the part you are mounting them to. Sete Bond is looking for something for the bag crash bars, I'm looking into this because the orientation of the led's is 90 degrees out of whack so the Truflex won't work. Some of this company's items seem pricey but from experience they are not cheap junk and stand up well, they are geared more to the HD crowd but still have items we could use on our bikes.

https://www.customdynamics.com/vehic...led-light-bars

+1 on Custom Dynamics LED light strips. I put a bunch of them on my 2006 SV100S after I put on a fender eliminator kit to supplement my Clear Alternatives integrated brake light and turn signals. Pictures do not do justice on how much bright light these roughly 2.5 inch LED light strips put out.
https://www.sv-portal.com/forums/185...post15754.html

I'm planning on adding some to my VFR and rigging up some on my saddlebags that I can easily disconnect when I remove them.

1996 Honda Nighthawk 750 project bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300 ES (sold)
2008 Honda VFR 800
2006 Suzuki SV1000S
2005 Suzuki SV1000S (crashed and rebuilt)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

I don't have handy a picture of the rear of the FJR, but here's the back end of my ZRX1100LT (heh) with the same topcase I might use on the FJR. Also visible is the strip LED brake light (Amazon) only on the rear face of the Givi topcase mount.
The trunk has simple, inexpensive strip LED lighting (EBay), connected to the tail and brake circuits via a little diode-and-resistor "controller" I picked off this forum long ago (I think). So it goes dim and then bright when the brake light switches are activated.
I chose not to go to the trouble of hooking up turn signals to the trunk. On the ZRX, I have a Givi sidecase setup now that has the old Wingrack with turn signals included (not shown in this older photo).
You're looking at about 2 hours of work and less than twenty bucks of stuff, even including the diode/resistor pack.
Possibly not the solution for everyone but something to think about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181015_161344.jpg (122.3 KB, 33 views)

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
The reflective kits really make a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200322_102132688_HDR.jpg (217.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200322_102118610.jpg (196.9 KB, 17 views)

Ducit amor patriae
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 08:04 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I was seriously looking at getting the Admore universal side case lights. I had them on my Givi luggage on my last bike - really nice. The 5" ones should fit well, has the quick connect cables for a clean install, and displays as running light, brake and turn signals. Certainly not the cheapest option, but worth it.

https://admorelighting.com/product/u...-side-case-cg/

BOAN likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have Skene's mounted in the place of square reflector in the rear, they strobe when breaking and also are setup to "fast flicker at all time" lots of positive comments from people ridding behind me.

Also across Europe on fast Autobahns it's common to see "4 flashers" coming up on cars, under heavy breaking. I would like to do the same on my FJR,... anybody knows which wires (and where on the bike) would need to be connected to trigger 4 flashers when breaking?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 01:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
I have Skene's mounted in the place of square reflector in the rear, they strobe when breaking and also are setup to "fast flicker at all time" lots of positive comments from people ridding behind me.

Also across Europe on fast Autobahns it's common to see "4 flashers" coming up on cars, under heavy breaking. I would like to do the same on my FJR,... anybody knows which wires (and where on the bike) would need to be connected to trigger 4 flashers when breaking?
This would be complicated but probably doable. A relay wired to the brake circuit to trigger the 4 way flashers, it would have to be switched otherwise you'd get the 4 ways every time you braked unless that's what you want. I do this stuff for fun, let me work on this.
Damir likes this.

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 02:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_van View Post
This would be complicated but probably doable. A relay wired to the brake circuit to trigger the 4 way flashers, it would have to be switched otherwise you'd get the 4 ways every time you braked unless that's what you want. I do this stuff for fun, let me work on this.
Wes, while you are at it, can you also figure out the solution for my '17ES all LED;
- So since the front turn signals are STEADY ON at all time, I would like to have my FRONT signal lights to "glow at highest brightness" for better conspicuity while driving, and then when activating the signal light they would start blinking with "low brightness first"
I tried to ride with my high beams during daytime, like many bikers do, but it seems the LED's are just "too bright" for other drivers

and yes I would like the signals flashing every time while breaking, why not? (I don't think it's illegal?)

Last edited by Damir; 05-27-2020 at 02:32 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 03:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Wes, while you are at it, can you also figure out the solution for my '17ES all LED;
- So since the front turn signals are STEADY ON at all time, I would like to have my FRONT signal lights to "glow at highest brightness" for better conspicuity while driving, and then when activating the signal light they would start blinking with "low brightness first"
I tried to ride with my high beams during daytime, like many bikers do, but it seems the LED's are just "too bright" for other drivers

and yes I would like the signals flashing every time while breaking, why not? (I don't think it's illegal?)
Here in The States, yes it is illegal to have yellow signal lights illuminating when braking. To be "legal" you'd have to change them to red. I've used this product before after replacing the yellow with red bulbs and clear lenses
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/73...ake-controller

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page