Cell Phone Mount - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Cell Phone Mount

I've been debating for a while now whether or not to mount my cell phone somewhere or just continue keeping it in my tank bag or jacket. Then last week I saw an ad for what looks like a sturdy, ergonomic solution I couldn't resist. Comes with a built in usb to boot. It took a bit of creative fiddling to mount it, especially as my front end farkling is getting a little crowded.

Victor Sierra and StratTuner like this.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:39 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I did the same thing with the Ram mount. Looks good! Handy location. Turn up the brightness!
ice_station_zebra likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_station_zebra View Post
I've been debating for a while now whether or not to mount my cell phone somewhere or just continue keeping it in my tank bag or jacket. Then last week I saw an ad for what looks like a sturdy, ergonomic solution I couldn't resist. Comes with a built in usb to boot. It took a bit of creative fiddling to mount it, especially as my front end farkling is getting a little crowded.
Ice what's the product name, post the link

I have RAM X-Grip c/w rubber tethering thingy, My advice, If you are not using your phone for navigation I would suggest you keep it in your pocket or bag. Last year I had my new Note 9 in my X-Grip but forgot to put the rubber thingy...sure enough dropped it at hgwy speed, screen shattered, had to get a new phone funny thing is I don't even use it for Navigation.

Lesson learned the hard way...Will have X-Grip for sale soon

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
... Last year I had my new Note 9 in my X-Grip but forgot to put the rubber thingy...sure enough dropped it at hgwy speed, screen shattered, had to get a new phone
OUCH !

+1 on sharing name, link, etc.

Damir, Apart from that particular unhappy experience, did you like the X-Grip? I've never used one, but am thinking about it.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 06:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Too many bad stories with X-Grips.... best one I've seen is this by RAM

https://www.rammount.com/search?sear..._recommended=1
Versatek6 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 08:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

X-grip is terrible, with or without the rubber band. . Better than nothing, and it’ll fit almost any phone, but just not secure. You can get by with it (and I have), but there are much better options.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-08-2020 at 08:24 AM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Too many bad stories with X-Grips.... best one I've seen is this by RAM

https://www.rammount.com/search?sear..._recommended=1
I used this one for a long time and believe me I traveled some rough roads with it. Including thousands of miles of dirt. Highly recommend it.

Unfortunately my current phone will not fit, it's too all. I'm using a Slip Grip holder now. I haven't had any trouble with it but the Ram above seemed more secure to me.

https://www.facebook.com/SlipGripCarMounts/

Russ
2007A

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
Ice what's the product name, post the link

I have RAM X-Grip c/w rubber tethering thingy, My advice, If you are not using your phone for navigation I would suggest you keep it in your pocket or bag. Last year I had my new Note 9 in my X-Grip but forgot to put the rubber thingy...sure enough dropped it at hgwy speed, screen shattered, had to get a new phone funny thing is I don't even use it for Navigation.

Lesson learned the hard way...Will have X-Grip for sale soon
I ordered this off of amazon.ca and this is the product name and description;

NikoMaku Motorcycle Cell Phone Holder Bike Phone Mount Handlebar Holder 360 Adjustable Compatible 4''-6.5''Mobile Phone iPhone Samsung BlackBerry etc.

You can order in black or silver, with or without built-in usb phone charger. It is very secure. Once the phone is mounted you can not remove it without loosening the clamps or your phone will snap in two. I do keep the phone in my jacket though when there is a risk of rain. Also, all the phone buttons are accessible when the phone is mounted.
Sete Bond likes this.

2008 FJR, 2012 Versys 650
HD Ultra Classic
BMW K1200RS
HD DynaGlide
HD Sportster
Honda CB750K
Yamaha 650
Honda CB450
Honda 175
etc
etc
Vespa 50cc

Last edited by ice_station_zebra; 04-08-2020 at 10:55 AM. Reason: add'l info
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
OUCH !
Damir, Apart from that particular unhappy experience, did you like the X-Grip? I've never used one, but am thinking about it.
Sete, I like RAM products, they are robust and very adjustable with the purchase of different joints.

The problem is there are still too many buttons on each side of an average smartphone, so the RAM XGrip clamps need to be positioned too close to the top left and right corners of the phone, to clear the Volume up and power buttons. Using the RAM rubber tether is the only way to trust that your phone will not fall, but the rubber will overlap the four corners of your screen, blocking some information, so I don't like that part.

Lately with the smartphones pushing 2K and in lieu of my mishap I simply don't trust these plastics enough,...I use this analogy; "it's kind of like trying to hold a $2K bundle of cash, holding it by the outside edges, using only the NAILS of your four fingers, on the bumpy highway, well into 3 digits winds" ...hmmm no thx, I am using one in my truck only, and it works good there.

I also have a few of them RAM suction cup mounts for my action cams, and I don't trust those either, and always add a tethering string (just in case)...if I ever do skydiving I will ask for TWO parachutes

Phones are taking over our lives and are a BIG distraction anyway (I can't believe I said that), and especially they don't belong on the handlebars of a motorcycle. I love technology and my smartphone, but will try and keep it in my pocket, since ridding a bike require all (200%) of your engagement and concentration.

Xgrip review at timestamp 2:40

Sete Bond likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I see Ram has different mount types/locations. Preference? Also, my S10 is in a closed case. What do y'all do for a phone case in the motorcycle mount?
Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAM1.JPG (68.0 KB, 13 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page