Lowering Links - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Lowering Links

I'm looking at installing the Soupy's lowering links on my '09 and am wondering who has done this. My reason is I don't want to give up the centre stand and I understand if the bike is lowered too much the centre stand becomes very difficult or even impossible to use. Could I lower the bike 1 inch and still use the stand? Just curious about other's experience with this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Mike

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King

Last edited by wes_van; 03-06-2020 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:26 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Mine is lowered ever so slightly. I just roll the back tire on a board if I want to use the center stand. Keep meaning to make a small 2x4 wedge to carry on the bike for remote use.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wes, I used the soupyís links to lower my 2014 1/2Ē in the back & slid the fork tubes up the same amount in the front, all with zero ill affects, my center and side stand work just like oe, no problem...

I do wonder though if there is some variances on the results as some have expressed some difficulty using the center stand or had to use a shorter side stand,, I had none of that, but the results may vary bike-bike, maybe.

Also had zero issues with clearance in cornering,Iíve really tried to get things to touch down but havenít been able to do it as yet,,, even scrubbing the tires all the way to the edges hasnít touched anything down.
the Ferret likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wes, you didn't mention what year you have... Gen3+ have a slightly shorter centerstand, but lowering the bike an inch will likely mean you'll need to put wood under your back wheel and shorten the side stand (or get an adjustable one).
To avoid lowering it so much, try lowering the seat (or get a Corbin and put a layer of foam in it for comfort), narrowing the seat at the front, raising the forks in the triple tree slightly (it will handle a little quicker), and getting riding boots or tactical boots with thicker soles.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Lowering Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes_van View Post
I'm looking at installing the Soupy's lowering links on my '09 and am wondering who has done this. My reason is I don't want to give up the centre stand and I understand if the bike is lowered too much the centre stand becomes very difficult or even impossible to use. Could I lower the bike 1 inch and still use the stand? Just curious about other's experience with this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Mike
It's a 2009, thanks for the input here folks. I only need a half to one inch in the rear to get it where I want it. I guess I'll just go for it and see where it ends up.

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 01:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
JohnC, ReRose, wes_van and 1 others like this.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES SOLD
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 03-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Wes, you didn't mention what year you have... Gen3+ have a slightly shorter centerstand, but lowering the bike an inch will likely mean you'll need to put wood under your back wheel and shorten the side stand (or get an adjustable one).
To avoid lowering it so much, try lowering the seat (or get a Corbin and put a layer of foam in it for comfort), narrowing the seat at the front, raising the forks in the triple tree slightly (it will handle a little quicker), and getting riding boots or tactical boots with thicker soles.
Any recommendations on how to add said layer of foam?

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi Mike. I have a 2019 FJR and fitted lowering links which dropped it 35mm had to lower the front forks by 15mm to keep the geometry of the bike right but unfortunately could not use center stand so what I got was an adjustable center stand from T Rex Racing have it set at lowest position and works perfect. Regards Eddie

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_scully View Post
Hi Mike. I have a 2019 FJR and fitted lowering links which dropped it 35mm had to lower the front forks by 15mm to keep the geometry of the bike right but unfortunately could not use center stand so what I got was an adjustable center stand from T Rex Racing have it set at lowest position and works perfect. Regards Eddie

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk
Trex and Soupys have an adjustable SIDE stand, not seeing a centerstand ??
I have soupys links and could not lower mine more than 1/2" before the centerstand became really tough to use.

Last edited by Kiwiaudio; 03-06-2020 at 10:16 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustGutsOG View Post
Any recommendations on how to add said layer of foam?
Same as I've done on other seats...... remove the cover (Corbins are rivetted on), get yourself a piece of medium density foam at your local upholstery shop, spray adhesive to hold it in place, trim first to rough size (leave a little extra margin), test fit, glue it, shape the edges with your angle grinder, warm up the cover in sunshine or oven, have a helper hold it while you put some staples in the front and rear, pull/stretch it on, couple more staples here and there, then rivet it back on... you may need to make some new holes here and there. Have not tried staples only on a Corbin, but you'll need an air stapler.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page