Lowering Links - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
2 feet down as a "need" is a myth. Didn't you ride a 26" bike as a gradeschooler? How'd you reach both feet down then? How about dirt bikes?
If you read my previous post I mention it being a 'comfort zone' for me, never used the word need. I was looking for input based on other rider's experience with this and nothing more so bicycles and off road bikes are not relevant here, it's an FJR1300 forum. Your opinion has been noted.

81 HD Superglide. 82 CB900F. 82 GS1100 Katana. 83 GS750ES. 82 GS750E. 82 GS1100E 89 ZX600 Ninja 83 GS1100 Drag Bike. 98 VTR1000. 02 ST1100 06 ST1300 06 HD Road King
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:54 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
I would take all of the above as the bike wasn't for me and that another would fit better. [Not 6' here either. 5' 10" with a 30" (or less) inseam.]
Unfortunately many of the popular models of motorcycles have close to 32 inch seat heights, especially sport tours, but standards and adv bikes as well. Without lowering links many motorcyclists of shorter stature would be relegated to riding cruisers in order to feel comfortable. With lowering links we can ride Vstroms, Versys, and FJRs etc.

Reading thru the posts above, you can see that those who use the lowering links are happy that they are able to do so, as they are now able to ride a bike of their choice.

To me using lowering links to make a bike a bike more comfortable is no different than using bar risers to make a bike more comfortable, or highway pegs, or windshields for that matter. The aftermarket stepping in to offer a desired alternative to what is offered by the OEM manufacturer, so that we may modify the motorcycle more to our personal liking.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 11:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All good, the aggressive riders can't really lower their bikes much, now we get into peg scraping too early territory.
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
All good, the aggressive riders can't really lower their bikes much, now we get into peg scraping too early territory.
Using Bounce's criteria maybe guys that ride an FJR aggressively enough to grind pegs might just be on the wrong bike. Maybe they should be riding a GSXR or a CBR100RR or a Ducati Supersport or a Ninja ZX10RR or a YZF-R1M you know...something designed for aggressive riding and steep lean angles without grinding hard parts

I'm being facetious of course, not all bikes fill all needs. A YZF-R1M would make a horrible tourer and so would a Honda Fury. If you want to load up and ride cross country like many of us do, you choose a tourer or a sport tourer. Nothing else fits those needs of wind protection and luggage capacity and shaft drive. We all choose the bikes we want to ride, the one closest to filling our needs, and then adapt them to fit/suit us.
passx likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 10:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As far as grinding the pegs and such when I did the Soupyís links (1/2Ēdrop front & back) I tried to touch parts down and was unable to do so but Iíll add that after my tires were scrubbed to the edgeís, so unless youíre riding on the sidewalks there ainít more. Dropping it more-may get parts to touch when pushed, but like ferret said itís about enjoying the ride. If you wanted a race bike you should have bought something else, not a top heavy 640lb sport-tourer.

Now granted Iím no Ricky-racer and at 240lbs tend to seat the bikes on itís suspension, itís got more than I am comfortable pursuing and granted more aggressive types may scrape something but I havenít found it yet. The fjr fits the bill for me and being able to flat foot both feet on this very top-heavy bike at a light makes me feel much better and more confident about not dropping it. My .02

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

The thing about lowering a bike and reaching the ground sort of has two different aspects for any given rider. Stretching a bit to reach the ground is fine 98% of the time; under normal and predictable circumstances.
The problem is when something goes wrong and that stretch can't be easily or safely accessed in an instant.
So the width of the FJR is what gives me the most trouble at 5-9, 30". I have a lot of lifetime miles and have managed a lot of different bikes without disaster, including GL15 and GL18s, and that even includes with a passenger larger than I.
Last summer, coming to a stop at a rural stopsign, looking for traffic, I missed seeing a small pothole where my right foot was going to land (I'm old school and go right-foot down. From my BSA days, I suppose.), attempted to plant and found an inch and a half of pavement missing. By the time I could react, the bike was on its way to being on its side.
Maybe twenty years ago I could have saved it by brute strength, but not anymore that my rough-tough carpenter days are a distant memory.
Would a 3/4" lowering have prevented the tipover? I don't know for sure but I suspect so.
So it's not necessarily the normal, more ideal circumstances that are at issue with seat height- it's the out-of-the-ordinary ones that have the potential to make trouble.

Bill

2009 FJR1300
2000 ZRX1100
2004 V-Strom 650
2020 Ninja 400 in the hands of the Missus
2004 Suzuki SV650S, also Hers
2008 BMW F800ST, mixed.
In the avatar: 1966 Velocette Venom Thruxton and 1967 BSA Royal Star.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys for the idea of using a 2x4 to assist in using the center stand. Lowering Links were installed by the previous owner (for his wife) and we are both 5’ 8”. I did buy the T Rex adjustable Sidestand, which provided more lean angle. As many have mentioned, it’s the width of the FJR that takes away reach to the ground. I always have the left foot down, right foot on rear brake, in gear, keeping an eye on what’s coming up from the rear...try to always have a quick escape path and keep distance between you and the Cager in front of you when stopped. Ask me how I know ��
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2020, 04:30 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Chico, I think thatís a good plan ! I also tend to look at whatís coming after a close friend nearly lost his life due to a woman more interested in her phone than the people in front of her.

Personally and this is only my opinion, I think that people using a cell or any phone for that matter while operating a vehicle (any vehicle) should be in season year round, all think they are ďgoodĒ drivers and something ďhands freeĒ is ok but theyíre all distracted and terrible drivers. Simple 9mm or .45 through the on/off switch would cure a lot, again my opinion.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page