4Likes
  • 1 Post By rbentnail
  • 1 Post By hANNAbONE
  • 2 Post By the Ferret

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Givi Tank Lock Tank Bag With Bar Risers

Has anyone found a givi tank lock bag that won’t hit the bars when a helibridge or mv risers are in use? I have a small Givi tsnk bag that is super useful for distance and/or competitive rides, but it impinges upon the bars significantly. Just curious.

I’d consider putting film down on the tank and running something else that sits further back, but am primarily focused on tank lock bags. Super convenient.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-22-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Put some film down anyway, chances are the bag will rub somewhere.... I used a Givi 20L bag and found it a little big. Our buddy Pants had the 15L version but the zippers were small and not robust, that size would have worked. I'm not much help but I like a couple of side pockets for small stuff... I've gone to a 12L Nelson Rigg magnetic, it's just as handy and cut down a bit on stuff I take..

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good info, Ray.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have a 15L tank loc bag with std bars and yea you have you be careful in low speed tight turns like in a parking lot. Mine doesn't hit the paint at all. I wish I had gone with a magnetic bag, probably have 4 in the closet but wanted to try and protect the paint a bit. Like Ray said I should have just put some clear on the tank and not worried about it. The tank locs are adjustable and you can move them fore and aft over a maybe 1 1/2" to 2" range. Mine is back pretty far, but now it hits my stomach as well as the bars, so I can't move it back any further lol. With bar risers I think it would come back further and provide more clearance, but it would look strange as the back of the bag already hovers over the tank quite a bit

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 12:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Funny I have never put film down on a bike where I used a magnetic tank bag, but I always set it down on a clean seat, etc. just to get gas. But, doesn't hurt to take a peek to see if there's any grit there. The tank-locs I've had all rubbed somewhere, or sagged eventually, so I put pads or film down.

Again, I've always liked tank bags with side compartments to keep me from digging into the big part when I need something quick like a flashlight or earplugs or gum or.... whether it was a tank-loc or not.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't see how you guys do it. I've tried different sizes and different mounting but over the yrs I've found that I absolutely despise a tank bag. I've given away at least 3. Sure, it might be convenient but to me it's akin to having a bunch of mail and children's toys piled on a truck dash board. Can't stand it!!
FjrjrF likes this.

Russ
2007A

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

my 15L GIVI hits without risers.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I don't see how you guys do it. I've tried different sizes and different mounting but over the yrs I've found that I absolutely despise a tank bag. I've given away at least 3. Sure, it might be convenient but to me it's akin to having a bunch of mail and children's toys piled on a truck dash board. Can't stand it!!
lol I've been running tank bags on every bike I've owned since back in the mid 70's, Eclipse, Bagman, Tourmaster, Cortech, Nelson Rigg, and now Givi. They are always on the bike unless I'm getting gas, or the bike is getting washed, or I'm checking into a hotel. I'd rather have a tank bag, than saddlebags or trunk. I love my tank bags.

My wife and I in 1977 on our KZ 1000 with Eclipse tank bag (hey at least we were wearing helmets lol)

43 years later Givi tankbag on the FJR

FXRS and FjrjrF like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 02-22-2020 at 09:30 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 11:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have the smallest Motech "daypack". It is the narrowest bag i could find and it still hits the bars with a helibridge. Coolest thing about the Motech bags is the expandable zipper is low on the bag and if you leave it unzipped, the bars just nudge it over instead of blasting the horn.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page