R1 shifter linkage upgrade? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

There are a few post on how it behaves with new linkage. In a nutshell with the R1 linkage it behaves as it should of in the first place. A shorter throw is most always desirable. It's not like "gee I was fiddling with my shifter and almost grabbed a gear by accident" or " I would ride today but I just don't think I have the strength to upshift, I mean the lever is sooo hard to pull". It just shortens up the throw a bit and you will have a quicker shift. The cost of this is a slight amount more effort but I don't believe it to be undesirable. I had noticed since doing this, on a lazy shift, I have not missed 1 to 2 by accident. The shorter throw helps with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think ttbaddog’s description above is pretty accurate, myself, I’ve done this several years ago and as I’ve said previously it’s a pretty subtle change. I really didn’t notice any extra effort on mine which by the way I ordered for a 2014 f1 and is silver, go figure!

As dog said I really haven’t missed the 1st-2nd shift since doing this, no complaints. I did accidentally do a clutchless upshift this past summer while wearing my hard toed boots, surprised the heck outta me but may have happened with The oe lever as well as those boots don’t give much feel. In my opinion and as said above this should have Been oe imho.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 08:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BR View Post
I just picked one up from Ebay.... $25 shipped from Portland, OR.
Listed as '12-'14 Yam R1 shift arm etc... and it's black.
Edit: had some time, installed tonight, may ride tomorrow.
Difference in length is less than I exected but as someone else said, the difference will be subtle.
And yes, the rod-end is now in-board.

Mr. BR
Thanks for the pictures, that looks like about the difference in the one I got, I was thinking it would be shorter

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Iím considering cutting the oe down a bit further than the r1 just to see if it makes much of a difference
mobilemike likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

I put mine on last night and went for a 200 mile ride today. I was surprised how much difference it makes. A lot smoother shifting for me
passx and mobilemike like this.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page