Heated Seats - Worth Adding? - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
View Poll Results: Heated Seat A Valuable Add-On Accessory?
Heck yeah! 2 9.52%
Sure 1 4.76%
Maybe 9 42.86%
No - waste of money 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

mobilemike brings up a good point! If you don't have other heated gear yet, I would consider that first. Your butt can get cold or hot without affecting the rest of you. But if your torso isn't warm, the rest of you won't be warm either. Top on my list of heated accessories is my heated jacket. It is truly a wonderful thing, and when I ride into Utah and Colorado it's a life saver.
bounce and Little Joe like this.

-Steve in Phx
IBA# 61624
2007 FJR1300AE
2000 Honda XR650L (bought new)

...and a bunch of other dirt bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Had a Cprbin heated seat on my ST, button was on the side of the seat, hi or lo. Plenty hot on lo. The kit you pictured will work. Carbon pad you can trim to size/shape I'd expect.

It's a personal thing, I haven't felt the need for heat on the FJR. If you have heated pants liner, I think you'd pass... OTOH, a little DIY project and go all in!! Cheaper than the pant liner (which only heats the knees and thighs). The whole idea is to keep your core warm.

Have you got a voltmeter to monitor charging condition in heavy heated gear usage? If not, I'd highly recommend you get one (and plug into a Battery Tender every night).
I only have a thermal lining in my riding overpants - not heated.

I know I could go the heated pants liner option. But my preferred heated gear vendor (Mobile Warming) only had heated pants and heated base layer.

Check my voltage with a Battery Tender SAE monitor that I plug in twice weekly (below).

Yes, the FJR is plugged in to a Battery Tender nightly.

--------------------

@2GENAE – do you wear thick riding pants like me? Good to know even Texan need to heat sometimes on the cooler days.

@jjscsix @mobilemike – yes, once my butt is down. It’s down. Hands, legs, neck, feet, arms get windblasted cold.

Love my Cyclegear Freeze-Out Warm'R Balaclava: Head down to neck warm.

@passx – yes cruise control is a must for any touring. Bad news, my 05 doesn’t have CC and the intall would run be $1K USD. But I can afford a heated seat kit. Rich’s seats in Kingston, WA is a great ferry and rural ride and they are a great shop. But I’m leaving that Rich’s custom seat non-heated.

@two_wheeled – I searched and couldn’t find any threads that answer the question. Candidly, I got a big butt and with all of the thermal padding and nylon, how could heat get through?????? I agree, love my heated grips but heated glove are totally next level comfy! Already have the 12v wired jacket and gloves. Looking to warm up other cold spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt.JPG (19.0 KB, 4 views)

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja - Past

Last edited by jtdunc; 01-09-2020 at 08:07 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 08:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
I thought the same thing living in DFW , Texas as our winters are mild vs up North. But on 40/50 degree days I do ride the heated Sargent front is PLUS for me as is the heated grips.

We are practically neighbors. The heated grips are nice - when I remember to use them.
2GENAE likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 09:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
We are practically neighbors. The heated grips are nice - when I remember to use them.
Yes sir really close, Watauga/Keller off 377 and Basswood. My hands cramp up in cooler weather so heated grips and now heated Sargent seat is a plus for me.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
I only have a thermal lining in my riding overpants - not heated.

I know I could go the heated pants liner option. But my preferred heated gear vendor (Mobile Warming) only had heated pants and heated base layer.

Check my voltage with a Battery Tender SAE monitor that I plug in twice weekly (below).

Yes, the FJR is plugged in to a Battery Tender nightly.

--------------------

@2GENAE – do you wear thick riding pants like me? Good to know even Texan need to heat sometimes on the cooler days.

@jjscsix @mobilemike – yes, once my butt is down. It’s down. Hands, legs, neck, feet, arms get windblasted cold.

Love my Cyclegear Freeze-Out Warm'R Balaclava: Head down to neck warm.

@passx – yes cruise control is a must for any touring. Bad news, my 05 doesn’t have CC and the intall would run be $1K USD. But I can afford a heated seat kit. Rich’s seats in Kingston, WA is a great ferry and rural ride and they are a great shop. But I’m leaving that Rich’s custom seat non-heated.

@two_wheeled – I searched and couldn’t find any threads that answer the question. Candidly, I got a big butt and with all of the thermal padding and nylon, how could heat get through?????? I agree, love my heated grips but heated glove are totally next level comfy! Already have the 12v wired jacket and gloves. Looking to warm up other cold spots.
Yes I wear Warm-r Freeze Out pants under my winter riding suit and I DO have to turn down the Sargent seat after 20 minutes in 50 degree riding on Hiway at 70. Down side vs heated pants is seat cools off fast when you get off. But after a few minutes it gets back to where you had it adjusted.

I purchased a used Murphs Kits vacuum cruise control from a friend that had it on his Gen I, that is going to be installed before next spring. IIRC it was for a Kaw C10 Dan converted for a FJR.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:32 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GENAE View Post
I thought the same thing living in DFW , Texas as our winters are mild vs up North. But on 40/50 degree days I do ride the heated Sargent front is PLUS for me as is the heated grips.
Was that someone here I saw (going NW along 81 heading toward Decatur from I35W) a couple of days ago? It was a new-ish FJR in (dark blue?) with the new FJR logos and trimmed vent area on front cowling.

Supposed to get to 70-something today but rainy. Past couple of 60-something days were mostly sunny and nice, too.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 01-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Was that you I saw (going NW along 81 heading toward Decatur from I35W) a couple of days ago? I was a new-ish FJR in (dark blue?) with the new FJR logos and trimmed vent area on front cowling.
I went to Decatur twice this week but I did not notice a blue FJR but if we passed each other I always drop my left hand down with a wave.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Love my Corbin heated seat in the winter. I don't like the width of it or how slippery it is though. Summer gets the stock seat put back on for some good grip.
rbentnail likes this.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 04:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
They moved the Austin COTA MotoGP up to the beginning of April. I think it is a bit cold there at that time so you'll need that butt warmer! LOL

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Lemmon Rider View Post
Love my Corbin heated seat in the winter. I don't like the width of it or how slippery it is though. Summer gets the stock seat put back on for some good grip.
But do you feel the heat through thicker riding pants?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2005 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja - Past

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page