Why do you all hate the stock windshield? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Why do you all hate the stock windshield?

So one thing I have noticed in my time on this forum is how many people despise the factory windshield and swap them out for different ones. My bike came with one of the bigger V streams and it was unbearably hot in August and it seems to buffet me in anything other than the low position. I put the stock one back on and it was lovely, the air was so smoothly directed onto my chest and helmet vents in the low position. There was some minor buffeting when raised but not bad at all. That being said I do have the big shield on now that it's colder. I'm not a tall guy at 5'10". Am I just crazy? Or are most of you guys that NEED the bigger shield just over 6 foot tall?

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

Its very much a personal choice thing. Theres nothing wrong with the oem shield, id bet most leave it on there. Personally, i tried several and settled for the largest Cee Bailey after tilting the mount plate.
2GENAE likes this.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Like seats, oil and tires, I think it comes down to personal preferences.
Like you, I prefer the stock windshield. My former 07 had a VStream and my current 13 had a CeeBailey, both in which I sold and went back to stock. I'm 5'12".
For me, the aftermarket ones were too large and deflected too much wind, especially in warmer and hot weather.
My helmet preference is Arai Corsair X, which requires tons of air flow around and over the helmet to evacuate air and vent properly. OE screen, in both the upper and especially the lowest position is what I prefer for that upper torso air flow. And for me, the OE screen blocks just enuff cold air on non warm days.
And the top of the aftermarket screens was always in my preferred line of sight which drive me batty.

So no right or wrong, just individually defined likes and dislikes.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

2013 Stone Grey

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Hi, my name is JunkJacket and I'm a stock windshield user.

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't FĶ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 12-23-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

Doesnít everyone know everything OEM (sic) is junk?

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Farkle Trainee

I don't think everybody hates the stock shield. It's also worth noting that each Gen has its own airflow characteristics.

On Pop's '07 we ran the stock shield for many years and miles. He mentioned that he wanted a little improvement to the airflow and it took me 3 different Cee Bailey shields to get it right. He ran the first Cee Bailey for a few years and really liked it but when we installed the HeliBar Bridge everything changed. He was sitting up taller and farther back.

On our Gen3s we are both running the Cee Bailey Sport Shield. I could happily run the stock shield, I honestly installed the dark tinted Cee Bailey for cosmetic reasons. I wanted the '15ES to have that "murdered" look and the dark shield was the first step.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Farkle Trainee

I hate the stock windscreen because itís too large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 697B87FA-80EA-48BE-8964-6A9F5A3308C7.jpg (327.4 KB, 28 views)
philharmonic, wheaton and LaHe66 like this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

For me at 5'6" the stock shield didn't go down far enough for me to get clean air in the summer, and it didn't go up high enough to block the cold air from my face in the winter. I took a stock shield and cut 4" off the top for summer use (stock - 4") and bought a Yamaha touring shield which is stock +4" for winter duty.

So in essence with my shield combo, think of having a stock shield that will lower an additional 4"...... or raise an additional 4" as needed for weather conditions.
BustGutsOG likes this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
When I switched from my ST1300 (custom shield) to my 2016 FJR I was blown away (literally) by how little wind protection the stock shield offers. I like riding with my visor raised, and prefer some piece and quiet while riding, so I went straight home and ordered the Yamaha Touring shield. Now I can ride without wind in my eyes and find it a much nicer and quieter experience. On very warm days I occasionally lower the shield to bring me some more air - and on those days the stock shield would probably be just fine. However, swapping them all the time makes no sense - especially when I can lower and raise the Touring shield and get it any way I like...
passx, Sete Bond and BustGutsOG like this.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
For me at 5'6" the stock shield didn't go down far enough for me to get clean air in the summer, and it didn't go up high enough to block the cold air from my face in the winter. I took a stock shield and cut 4" off the top for summer use (stock - 4") and bought a Yamaha touring shield which is stock +4" for winter duty.

So in essence with my shield combo, think of having a stock shield that will lower an additional 4"...... or raise an additional 4" as needed for weather conditions.
I think that's valid. I do prefer the big barn door windshield in the colder months, but it will come off promptly once the weather starts to break. I picked up a shorty dark tinted windshield from a member on here. It's more bubble shaped and a little wider than stock but the same height. I hope I like it.

2007 Yamaha FJR 1300A - Black Cherry
1986 Kawasaki 454 LTD

"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity; I know nothing."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in