Why do you all hate the stock windshield? - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 09:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Is still use my gen 1 OEM shield in the summer. Since it's the smallest of the lot, I also have an ahamaY touring shield for winter.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
....I also have an ahamaY touring shield for winter.
Does this mean you install it backwards? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]

Yes, it's okay to live your life like there's no tomorrow, just don't Fµ©Ķ mine up while your doing it.

2019 FJR1300-ES
1984 GPZ 750 Turbo

Last edited by JunkJacket; 12-25-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #23 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 02:04 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustGutsOG View Post
So one thing I have noticed in my time on this forum is how many people despise the factory windshield and swap them out for different ones. My bike came with one of the bigger V streams and it was unbearably hot in August and it seems to buffet me in anything other than the low position. I put the stock one back on and it was lovely, the air was so smoothly directed onto my chest and helmet vents in the low position. There was some minor buffeting when raised but not bad at all. That being said I do have the big shield on now that it's colder. I'm not a tall guy at 5'10". Am I just crazy? Or are most of you guys that NEED the bigger shield just over 6 foot tall?
I see you're in Michigan. I'm in Arkansas, and it gets very hot and humid here in August. I often ride with the stock shield fully lowered and wish I could get more air. I'm quite happy with it. but I'm only 5'9".

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #24 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 03:07 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I see you're in Michigan. I'm in Arkansas, and it gets very hot and humid here in August. I often ride with the stock shield fully lowered and wish I could get more air. I'm quite happy with it. but I'm only 5'9".
Yeah, location definitely makes a difference as does time of day. I often commute in the dark and having a larger screen simply for bug protection is a big help.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 09:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Personally I don’t hate the OE screen but the “touring screen” is the best do-it-all for me, 5’ 10” with a MV Motorad handlebar plate
mortenk and kukablack like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #26 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Personally I don’t hate the OE screen but the “touring screen” is the best do-it-all for me, 5’ 10” with a MV Motorad handlebar plate
I have the same setup cannot agree with you more

Nice Yamaha touring windshield and MV Motorad plate.

My only complaint now is left hand pains a bit using clutch..thinking of getting shorty levers and that should fix the issue

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #27 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 01:21 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Yeah, location definitely makes a difference as does time of day. I often commute in the dark and having a larger screen simply for bug protection is a big help.
I slouch when I ride, so the stock screen keeps my face shield pretty clean. But when I ride in the summer with it down the shield and I get pretty nasty.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #28 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

My bike came with what must be the Yamaha touring windscreen on it. I just opened a box that came with the bike from the dealer.
It has the stock screen and a vstream in it. Not sure why the previous owner had both touring screens or what the difference is. I was hoping for an owners manual too.
post #29 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 03:49 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon77 View Post
My bike came with what must be the Yamaha touring windscreen on it. I just opened a box that came with the bike from the dealer.
It has the stock screen and a vstream in it. Not sure why the previous owner had both touring screens or what the difference is. I was hoping for an owners manual too.

EZPZ for the owners manual. Just go to https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals and down load a PDF of the owner's manual for free.

If you want to buy the owner's manual or service manual then www.yamahapubs.com is the official site for purchasing these or your dealer.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #30 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 10:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkJacket View Post
Does this mean you install it backwards? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FJROwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
It's what we started calling it back when the accessory became available. It's what you see from the rider's seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukablack View Post
My only complaint now is left hand pains a bit using clutch..thinking of getting shorty levers and that should fix the issue
Wouldn't a shorter lever have "less" leverage? If so, wouldn't it make operation more "difficult"?
Redfish and JunkJacket like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 12-26-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page