Helibars and Techmount phone holder - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Brian20
  • 1 Post By N4HHE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Helibars and Techmount phone holder

So here’s my predicament...I installed Helibars on my 2015A today. Prior to this I’ve used a Techmount phone holder that replaced the steering stem nut with a Techmount steering stem that has a 17mm ball on the end of it. In the installation of the Helibars, I removed the Techmount steering stem nut and reinstalled the factory nut as I was planning on using a Ram Mount ball on the new Helibars setup...still with me? So, come to find out, I can’t seem to find a Ram mount stem, that will thread into the 3/8”x16 hole on the Helibars, that will support a 17mm ball that the Techmount phone holder requires. Has anyone run into this issue? I really like the Techmount phone holder and would prefer to stay with it.

2015 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Yep. I ended up moving my Techmount to the clutch reservoir. There are adapters available, but can be really hard to find. Have you tried Techmount's website?

Dan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Yep, I had run into it and my only resolve was to give a friend of mine the Techmount steering stem mount and holder. It seems only Techmount makes that size, although there are probably web sites that do. I never found them. But, I didn't look too hard. I bought the ram mount from Helibar and went with the GPS mount from Garmin. And moved my phone over to the clutch side.

- Jim,
AMA Life and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Just an update so I can put closure to this thread. I did find an adapter that allowed me to use the Ram mount ball on my Helibars plate, and connect it to my beloved Techmount phone holder. More or less it’s a B size ball to B ball coupler, and a B ball to 17mm ball adapter. Attached is a picture of the adapter and eBay item number in case someone needs it.
Attached Images
File Type: png B5BAEC6C-F230-41BC-864D-6CDCE1B6D9B8_1577215982379.png (668.4 KB, 21 views)
rbentnail and 2GENAE like this.

2015 FJR1300A
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2019, 05:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
So here’s my predicament...I installed Helibars on my 2015A today. Prior to this I’ve used a Techmount phone holder that replaced the steering stem nut with a Techmount steering stem that has a 17mm ball on the end of it. In the installation of the Helibars, I removed the Techmount steering stem nut and reinstalled the factory nut as I was planning on using a Ram Mount ball on the new Helibars setup...still with me? So, come to find out, I can’t seem to find a Ram mount stem, that will thread into the 3/8”x16 hole on the Helibars, that will support a 17mm ball that the Techmount phone holder requires. Has anyone run into this issue? I really like the Techmount phone holder and would prefer to stay with it.
$8.50 from Amazon. Search for B00184OV8O
Bill Lumberg likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian20 View Post
$8.50 from Amazon. Search for B00184OV8O
Yeah, the B ball you quoted from Amazon is the issue. You can’t get a 17mm ball with 3/8” stud so you have to use the adapter I listed above so it works with the B size ball that installs in the Helibar plate.

2015 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page