What to add - Gen III - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
What to add - Gen III

I've decided to move up from a Gen I to a Gen III over the winter. I expect to get a fairly stock 2016 and add stuff. Planned stuff - Russell Day Long, Shad rack and trunk, Garauld Stiffy, front and rear crash bars (probably T-Rex), FZ-1 mirrors, MCL peg lowerers, Techspec Snake Skins for the tank sides. Pretty much everything my Gen I has.

My Gen I has a fork brace. Advisable/overkill for Gen III? Fender extender? Radiator grill/protector?

Anything else you'd recommend I consider? I've been reasonably comfortable on my Gen I during 800 mile weekends with stock windshield, stock bar and peg positions and the RDL.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
I've decided to move up from a Gen I to a Gen III over the winter. I expect to get a fairly stock 2016 and add stuff. Planned stuff - Russell Day Long, Shad rack and trunk, Garauld Stiffy, front and rear crash bars (probably T-Rex), FZ-1 mirrors, MCL peg lowerers, Techspec Snake Skins for the tank sides. Pretty much everything my Gen I has.

My Gen I has a fork brace. Advisable/overkill for Gen III? Fender extender? Radiator grill/protector?

Anything else you'd recommend I consider? I've been reasonably comfortable on my Gen I during 800 mile weekends with stock windshield, stock bar and peg positions and the RDL.
Here you go...

+ Add fender extender it helps keep all the stuff away from radiator and lower fairing. Radiator grill protector not needed IMHO.
+/- Techspec Snake skins for tank sides not needed if you have a really nice touring seat the best are Russell Day Long and then Laam IMHO as you sit back and not slip forward towards tank.
+ Garuald stiffy - Good to have.
+ Garuald highway pegs - Must have if you are doing more than 200 miles a day. Nice to stretch out a bit.
+ T-Rex bag guards are the best front ones are so so look into other options.
+ Check side bag locks mine were loose removed lock screws and tightened it with blue loctite. There is also a video by Bryan Glynn on it on YouTube.
+ Add dual horns as stock as only one and its meek and poor I almost got hit and I upgraded to dual trumpet horns. There is a video by Vicki P on YouTube as well but I did
my own buying wiring kit on amazon.

Cannot comment on fork brace as mine seems stable without it and I have done nice speeds on highways without any issues.
Cannot comment on FZ1 mirrors stock are ok not the best.

Maybe look into tires stock ones are just okay not great go with Michelin or Pirellis you might know better than me as you had Gen I.

Need a touring Yamaha windshield for Gen III
Need a LED light upgrade makes the motorcycle stand out more. Pain to get them in without removing fairing but I managed. Looks nice and worth it !

Need other standard RAM ball mounts and stuff for navigation, phone etc..

Other than that I think it is pretty good with cruise control and heated grips... if needed with Texas riding maybe in early mornings and nights.

KB
Ludwig61 and AzorRon like this.

Current Motorcycles

2014 FJR 1300 A Red

2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 Carburetted
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 03:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Lujdwig, you should know better than to ask us how to spend your money, 'cuz we will!! I definitely recommend a fender extender, but I'd skip the rad guard... no rocks damaged my FJR rads in the last 10 years, but my windshield and face shield have had rock chips...

Fork brace, I haven't felt the need... the Gen3A fork springs are better than past models but they are progressive... dial in the preload almost all the way or perhaps upgrade them someday to straight rate, but they are decent as they are.
As for all the upgrades mentioned, can't argue with any of them, and it is your wallet not ours. You'll find the Gen3 a nice upgrade in itself. Happy farkling!!
Ludwig61 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have found the fuse block that I added to be very
convenient and well worth the expense.

Have fun with your farkling!!!
Ludwig61 likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 07:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garauld highway pegs wont work with the Trex engine guards. Don't know about other engine guards.
Ludwig61 likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 07:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have t-Rex front and rear. Top notch. Laam seat. I prefer the Givi sr357 rack and Givi cases. No need for a stiffy with that setup. Aftermarket shield if you’re going to ride much. I used to find peg lowering brackets to be necessary. I’ve gradually stopped using them, even for distance. I prefer helibars to the stock bar setup. Don’t assume you’ll need anything until you’ve run the stock bike a bit.
Ludwig61 and N4HHE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 11-29-2019 at 06:25 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

A set of Two Brothers cans, to give the FJR some growl.
Ludwig61 likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My favorite, most cost effective safety addition: black 3-M reflective film for the back of the saddlebags from Real Time Industries:
https://www.realtimeindustries.com/f...ar-bag-decals/

Inexpensive, virtually invisible in the daylight, unmistakable at night.
Ludwig61, Joey, hANNAbONE and 1 others like this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 03:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

83 degree Kurvygirl valve stems
JohnC, Ludwig61 and AzorRon like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Nice list, somebody didn't like the TRex front bars, not sure why. I have T Rex front and back, tested both in upstate NY due to a brain fart, thought both worked great.

Loctite the bag latches and if you go with a Shad trunk, loctite the backrest screws inside the trunk. Saves wife pounding on you because she thinks the trunk is falling off, and then reaching around to show you the backrest she is now holding. On a busy 4 lane highway while in left turn lane she is yelling at me to pull over. We got intercoms after that.

I have the Shad SH50 with the new style rack and stiffy kit.

Tankslappers offers an alternative to the techspec, recommend the 3M film choice.

Dual horns is a must, I used FIAMM Freeway blasters, 14.95 each at Princess Auto here in Canada so probably $5 in Texas. Did the wiring myself, if you do that make sure the relay is waterproof and save yourself swapping it out when it rains ��

Oh yeah, +1 on black 3-M reflective film for the back of the saddlebags from Real Time Industries, good stuff!
Ludwig61 likes this.

2015 FJR1300A
2000 Hayabusa

Last edited by Joey; 11-30-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page