• 2 Post By red
  • 3 Post By red
  • 1 Post By FJRJIMBO

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
red
FJR Top Gun

Handlebar adapters, FJR

I found these handlebar adapters on eBay. 7/8" (22mm) handlebar will fit with all of the grips and clamps on the stock FJR handlebars. One bolt mount (10-1.5mm). Since they could mount in the existing slot, I would use a nut below, with fender washers above and below the stock Steering Handle plate. Nuts and washers to be bought separately. Bring your own handlebars, of course.

~US$15 in cost, not the hundreds that riser plates or custom steering heads would cost.

I may change from the FJR stock castings to normal handlebars over the winter. The local MC shop has a wide variety of handlebars on hand, and you can take one outside to quick-check if they might give you the hand position that you want. I believe that ordinary handlebars will isolate hands from vibrations or "buzz" from the bike, better than the rigid FJR castings.

Any advice would be welcome here, especially if you have already made the change with some other hardware. (These two adapters are pictured on a full-size paper image of the stock Gen2 Steering Head.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FrontThirdView.jpg (70.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg LeftSideFrontView.jpg (95.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg RightSideFrontView.jpg (92.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg FrontViev.jpg (83.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg TopView.jpg (70.5 KB, 27 views)
RaYzerman and Bill Lumberg like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 11-18-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wanted desperately to do this when I first got my FJR, searched for hours for a way to do it. The only worry I would have with your 'ONE BOLT" adapters is picking the old heavy girl up after a fall.

07 FJR 48,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
I may change from the FJR stock castings to normal handlebars over the winter. The local MC shop has a wide variety of handlebars on hand, and you can take one outside to quick-check if they might give you the hand position that you want. I believe that ordinary handlebars will isolate hands from vibrations or "buzz" from the bike, better than the rigid FJR castings.
Hmmm. You could then hit the local H-D shop and fit ape hangers on the bike. OTOH, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Seriously, I saw a post somewhere (don't remember where) where someone did just that. It looked a little strange, but I remember that he said that it did solve the problem.

Edit:
FOUND IT! https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/142026-tube-handlebar-conversion.html

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JohnC; 11-19-2019 at 03:14 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
red
FJR Top Gun

Handlebar adapters, FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
I wanted desperately to do this when I first got my FJR, searched for hours for a way to do it. The only worry I would have with your 'ONE BOLT" adapters is picking the old heavy girl up after a fall.
Phil,

Those are 10M machine screws in the adapters, and with the handlebar intact, there are two of them to take the weight. I would not worry about getting the bike upright, if you are using your legs rather than your arms to do the heavy lifting. I'd want to practice this technique with help available, at first. Skip the ad in front of the video.

https://youtu.be/HhUj7EJhZiE

I have even seen a folding jackstand with a ratchet-strap on the market for lifting a fallen bike. That make the job a one-hand effort.

@JohnC ,

I'd never want ape-hangers on any bike I ride, but a more relaxed and comfortable hand/arm position should be easy to find, with the right handlebars. The stock handlebars are too limited in every dimension, and I believe they transmit engine vibrations to the hands, being too rigid. I can't imagine that it would be safe to ride with hands going numb, but I hear that complaint often enough to think the FJR may need a tweak, there. Ordinary handlebars should be much better at reducing or stopping engine vibration, at the hands.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Red, you don't want style points to fit in with the local H-D group?

Me, neither.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
red
FJR Top Gun

Handlebar adapters, FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Red, you don't want style points to fit in with the local H-D group?
Me, neither.
JohnC,

Nah . . . Those H-D guys have never seen the front of my FJR, anyway.
FlatTop, RaYzerman and 2GENAE like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If you ever go the 7/8" bar conversion you will never go back. Wider grip position and closer to the rider equals greatly improved handling. I converted mine the first month I owned my 08.
rbentnail likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
red
FJR Top Gun

Handlebar adapters, FJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRJIMBO View Post
If you ever go the 7/8" bar conversion you will never go back. Wider grip position and closer to the rider equals greatly improved handling. I converted mine the first month I owned my 08.
FJRJIMBO,

Happy to hear that.

7/8" (22mm) handlebars come in all shapes and sizes. Do you know which brand or Part Number handlebars did the job for you? Or pix?

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I used the Daytona bars from Bikemaster. About $24
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5152019184434_1575865995870.jpg (184.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by FJRJIMBO; 12-09-2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Add picture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page