Akrapovic Exhaust - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 07:18 AM
Senior Member
High-G FJR Junkie!
 
RaYzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Millgrove, ON, CA
Posts: 6,185
The Delkevics are (my opinion) a nice option, decent price, sound better than most and not obnoxious (as I think Two Brothers are). They are very similar to the FJR Yoshimuras, maybe a touch louder. There are regular Yoshimuras too and I imagine they are similar.


As for Redfish's new-to-him Yamaha Yoshimuras, I think a few of his friends felt so sorry for him after listening to the occasional tales of woe (on another forum) about Mrs. Redfish... and I can't possibly do justice to the whole story over the years, I've never met her, but maybe the word Ogre might work. Best I just leave it to him. His friends are hoping the pipes might drown out some of her nagging... but another strategy should be just to somehow invoke the Silent Treatment? Oh well, known him for years, maybe one day I'll get to meet him and give him my condolences in person. But also really hoping he likes those pipes. His dear old Pop has them on his FJR too.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
RaYzerman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Redfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Prairieville, Louisiana
Posts: 812
@RaYzerman it is true that my friends felt sorry for me. Yes, they know that Mrs. Redfish (BigUn) is ugly as homemade sin and somewhat...gravity challenged. Yes, they know I suffer.

Mostly I think they felt sorry for me because they know I am forced to have at least one of those hideous pink '14 FJRs accompany me everywhere I go. And one of those lipstick pink '14s is equipped with those over priced noisemakers with the Yamaha GYTR label.

Seriously, I am not being a snob or an elitist here but I HATE loud pipes and these Yamaha branded slip ons are still quiet and are the only pipes I would ever have considered for my personal FJR.

I cannot ever properly express my gratitude to those folks that gave me the Yoshimura/FJR mufflers. They look and sound better on my AssFault Gray '15 than I expected.


Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
Redfish is offline  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Junior Member
Training wheels fitted!
 
Mark1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Blountville, TN
Posts: 16
Garage
Akropovic - tuning?

Interested in those who have installed Akropovic. Did you do any tuning or re-mapping when you did the change? Any issues or recommendations?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mark1 is offline  
 
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
zwartie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London, ON
Posts: 111
I was searching online for aftermarket slip-ons and had all but settled on getting a set of Delkevics because the price was right. I mentioned to my local dealer that I was looking and about a week later he called me with this deal. The Akrapovics were less than the price of a set of Delkevics. They were basically about 1/4 of the retail price. I would never consider Akrapovics if I had to pay full retail. I likely wouldn't even consider them if they were 1/2 price as that would still be more than a set of Delkevics. I believe the local distributor had them on the clearance rack. It really was an offer I couldn't refuse.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vzhq16 View Post
Is it fair to ask what a ridiculously great deal is?
zwartie is online now  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
zwartie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: London, ON
Posts: 111
No tuning or remapping required that I'm aware of. Funny thing - I put an aftermarket exhaust system on my FJ1200 some years ago and a few people asked me the same thing - any changes required in the carb jetting? In talking to a couple bike mechanics / engine builders I discovered that typically no carb re-jetting is required for anything done on the exhaust side. It would only be needed if something is changed on the intake side - like a K&N air filter or pod filters replacing the standard air box. I would think that the same logic holds true for a fuel injected engine. Regardless, the FJR is running just fine as is. It should also be noted that my FJR has a power commander which was installed by the previous owner and I believe it was mapped by Rayzerman.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Interested in those who have installed Akropovic. Did you do any tuning or re-mapping when you did the change? Any issues or recommendations?
Mark1 likes this.
zwartie is online now  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Mad German's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
No tuning or remapping required that I'm aware of. Funny thing - I put an aftermarket exhaust system on my FJ1200 some years ago and a few people asked me the same thing - any changes required in the carb jetting? In talking to a couple bike mechanics / engine builders I discovered that typically no carb re-jetting is required for anything done on the exhaust side. It would only be needed if something is changed on the intake side - like a K&N air filter or pod filters replacing the standard air box. I would think that the same logic holds true for a fuel injected engine. Regardless, the FJR is running just fine as is. It should also be noted that my FJR has a power commander which was installed by the previous owner and I believe it was mapped by Rayzerman.
Yep, that's been my experience as well. In 30+ years of riding, including more track days than my wallet wants to remember, I've never had to remap a bike with a slip on. I have, however, had several track bikes with Power Commanders (FI) and jet kits (carb'd) because those bikes were track only machines and highly modified.

A riding partner has a set of Dale Walker Holeshot headers and Two Brothers exhaust with no other mods (i.e. a Power Commander). The bike runs like a scalded ape! (That's good, by the way... :-) )
zwartie likes this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mad German is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
JohnnieBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
Yep, that's been my experience as well. In 30+ years of riding, including more track days than my wallet wants to remember, I've never had to remap a bike with a slip on. I have, however, had several track bikes with Power Commanders (FI) and jet kits (carb'd) because those bikes were track only machines and highly modified.

A riding partner has a set of Dale Walker Holeshot headers and Two Brothers exhaust with no other mods (i.e. a Power Commander). The bike runs like a scalded ape! (That's good, by the way... :-) )
I disagree.

Even just adding slip-ons tends to lean out the fuel, even if only a little, which becomes evident from the popping you will get without properly adjusting the ratio. As far as the FJR is concerned, when I added the Leo Vince slip-ons to my '09, I absolutely had this issue. I installed a PC and not only did it stop the popping, but it smoothed out the throttle and even gave a power gain. The bike ran so much better. When I upgraded to my 2013, I moved the Leo Vince cans over to it from the '09. Same issue - which I absolutely expected. This time, I removed the ecu and sent it to Ivan (roughly same price as buying a PC). Money well spent, in my opinion.
2GENAE likes this.
JohnnieBoy is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Mad German's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
I disagree.

Even just adding slip-ons tends to lean out the fuel, even if only a little, which becomes evident from the popping you will get without properly adjusting the ratio. As far as the FJR is concerned, when I added the Leo Vince slip-ons to my '09, I absolutely had this issue. I installed a PC and not only did it stop the popping, but it smoothed out the throttle and even gave a power gain. The bike ran so much better. When I upgraded to my 2013, I moved the Leo Vince cans over to it from the '09. Same issue - which I absolutely expected. This time, I removed the ecu and sent it to Ivan (roughly same price as buying a PC). Money well spent, in my opinion.
I disagree. My experience shows otherwise, as I described above.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mad German is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Member
Trainee Sport Tourer
 
JohnnieBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego,CA
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
I disagree. My experience shows otherwise, as I described above.
I have been riding motorcycles (of all different kinds) most all of my life - for over 40 years. Not d**k measuring here just saying I have played with many different bike (and car) motors, carb'd and FI alike. There have been many instances where swapping the exhaust has warranted a change in air/fuel mixture, and there have been some that did not, for various reasons. Typically, an ecu will not "adapt" to a change in exhaust, even only slip ons. It is a fact that the fuel mixture leans out when aftermarket exhaust (even slip on cans) are introduced. Removing the PAIR (the pulsed air induction) system on the FJR and blocking it off with a kit/plates will help the popping experienced on the deceleration with aftermarket cans but the fuel mixture will still be lean. The ecu (FJR/FI) should be remapped, whether with the use of a Power Commander or remapping the actual ecu itself. Most any good motorcycle mechanic worth his weight would agree. Besides, I'm a firm believer of changing inadequate factory mapping on performance machines, whether cars, trucks or moto's. In the case of the FJR, remapping its ecu has proven to be greatly successful, creating a much smoother more linear power band, and even a little bit more power. Who doesn't want that? I know I sure do!

I've been a member here for 5 years with only minimal posts. Mostly because I'm out riding more than I am sitting in front of my computer! Go outside and ride!
JohnnieBoy is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
Farkle Trainee
 
Mad German's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieBoy View Post
I have been riding motorcycles (of all different kinds) most all of my life - for over 40 years. Not d**k measuring here just saying I have played with many different bike (and car) motors, carb'd and FI alike. There have been many instances where swapping the exhaust has warranted a change in air/fuel mixture, and there have been some that did not, for various reasons. Typically, an ecu will not "adapt" to a change in exhaust, even only slip ons. It is a fact that the fuel mixture leans out when aftermarket exhaust (even slip on cans) are introduced. Removing the PAIR (the pulsed air induction) system on the FJR and blocking it off with a kit/plates will help the popping experienced on the deceleration with aftermarket cans but the fuel mixture will still be lean. The ecu (FJR/FI) should be remapped, whether with the use of a Power Commander or remapping the actual ecu itself. Most any good motorcycle mechanic worth his weight would agree. Besides, I'm a firm believer of changing inadequate factory mapping on performance machines, whether cars, trucks or moto's. In the case of the FJR, remapping its ecu has proven to be greatly successful, creating a much smoother more linear power band, and even a little bit more power. Who doesn't want that? I know I sure do!

I've been a member here for 5 years with only minimal posts. Mostly because I'm out riding more than I am sitting in front of my computer! Go outside and ride!
Sounds good. Have a great day, and ride safe.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mad German is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome