post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Training wheels fitted!

IMG_0249.JPG

Remove the baffles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Went for a little 500+ km ride yesterday. A buddy of mine hosts a fall colours ride every year and I was able to make it on this year's ride. Just before heading out I decided I would remove the dB killers (see below). Took all of 10 minutes to remove including getting the dremel out to grind off the tiny bead of weld holding the set screw. Wow, what a difference! Very deep tone - I love it!

Zwartie
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Fork stickers will be the next to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitbox View Post
Glad you took off those stickers. I think the bike looks much better without them.

Edit: you forgot the ones on the forks and wheels. LOL

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I had the same concern about the initial sound when I got mine. Then removed the baffles and was very happy with the results. I have about 25,000 miles on them, and they sound even better now...I suppose because the packing is getting saturated? Anyway, I am waiting to see what the 2020 FJR is like...might be buying another set of Akrapovics.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I like Acrapovic's, but for the price, I love my Leo Vince's!

jblanken64 and zwartie like this.

Last edited by JohnnieBoy; 10-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:12 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Really nice look with this exhaust. Interested in your riding experiences with these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Really nice look with this exhaust. Interested in your riding experiences with these.
Are you asking the op or me?
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Speaking of riding experiences, while doing a 500 km ride this past Friday I noticed that there seems to be less buzziness in the handlebars since I installed the Akrapovic mufflers. I used to get tingling, numbness from time to time when riding at a constant speed and that seems to have all but disappeared. Way back when I had my first FJ1200 (an '86) I replaced the rotted-out factory mufflers with a set of Cobra F1-R slip-ons and my wife commented immediately that the passenger foot peg vibration decreased considerably with the new mufflers. I can understand how it may affect the passenger pegs but the handlebars? Maybe it's just a placebo effect and if that's the case, I'm fine with it as long as I continue to believe?

Anyone else notice the same thing when they switched to aftermarket pipes?

Zwartie
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Speaking of riding experiences, while doing a 500 km ride this past Friday I noticed that there seems to be less buzziness in the handlebars since I installed the Akrapovic mufflers. I used to get tingling, numbness from time to time when riding at a constant speed and that seems to have all but disappeared. Way back when I had my first FJ1200 (an '86) I replaced the rotted-out factory mufflers with a set of Cobra F1-R slip-ons and my wife commented immediately that the passenger foot peg vibration decreased considerably with the new mufflers. I can understand how it may affect the passenger pegs but the handlebars? Maybe it's just a placebo effect and if that's the case, I'm fine with it as long as I continue to believe?

Anyone else notice the same thing when they switched to aftermarket pipes?

Zwartie
The harmonics do change. Sometimes it gets better, sometimes it gets worse. I once installed a set of Delkevics on my ST1300 and instantly hated them. There was vibration all over the bike at any cruising speed.

I recently was gifted a set of the Yamaha Yoshimura/FJR slip ons. The felt vibration changed. It seemed to go to a lower frequency if that makes any sense.
zwartie likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Is it fair to ask what a ridiculously great deal is? I've been wanting to get something a little louder with a deeper tone on my 2009 FJR. I don't want something so loud that highway cruising becomes too drone-y? I listened to the example recording on Akropovic's website and could hear a difference but it seemed really slight and not really any deeper. Maybe the tiny speakers in my laptop just can't do the sound justice? I dunno.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page