Installed R-Gaza Crash Bars on my '06 FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Installed R-Gaza Crash Bars on my '06 FJR

I bit the bullet earlier this summer and bought a set of engine and side bag guards for my '06 FJR. I ordered them on Amazon.com as they are not offered on Amazon.ca. Took about a month to come in and only took me about 45 minutes to install. I really like the look of the engine guards up front. The side bag guards are nice but they interfere with the passenger being able to put their feet on the rear pegs. Think I can correct that with a custom (home made) adapter plate to pivot the top closer to the side bags. I ride without the side bags 90% of the time so I'll keep the side bag guards off most of the time anyway. Here are a few pics:

Right Side View

Front Right Side View

Rear Left Side View

Rear View - can't even see the side bag guards from the rear

Zwartie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Looks great! I installed them on my 2016 recently and really like them but have not ridden with a passenger since installing them. Rarely ride 2 up so not a huge deal but sure would hate problems there when I do. Nice bike!

2016 FJR1300A
2017 Kawasaki Z900
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have the rear R-Gaza on my 2008 AE, to help with rear foot clearance I purchased a used pair of MCL rear 2" drop foot peg brackets and foot boards that screw on the stock rear pegs.. Wife boots don't touch the back of my boots now. http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index...products_id=31

He does not sell them anymore Murphy Kits is making front peg block with 1"drop but not sure if or when Murph is going to make the rears. Their may be others that make these.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:46 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've had mine saddlebag guards on for a while but not ridden my wife on the back.

They seem to move the passenger's footing forward a few inches as their calf no longer rests on the front of the saddlebags.

Ordered these Bruundt passenger peg lowering brackets that drop and move the passenger's feet forward:

What about your passengers' legs and riding on the back with the R-Gaza guards on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine guards.jpg (157.4 KB, 13 views)
2GENAE and justacrossthehill like this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)

Last edited by jtdunc; 08-28-2019 at 01:52 AM. Reason: adding item
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 05:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
I've had mine saddlebag guards on for a while but not ridden my wife on the back.

They seem to move the passenger's footing forward a few inches as their calf no longer rests on the front of the saddlebags.

Ordered these Bruundt passenger peg lowering brackets that drop and move the passenger's feet forward:

What about your passengers' legs and riding on the back with the R-Gaza guards on?
With the foot boards she can toe OUT her boot just a little and it misses the back of my boots.

Same with floor boards off and just stock pegs but she likes the flat foot boards better.

I also got the MCL muffler shields with the blocks and floor boards from a member here.

My wife is 5' 4" so her legs miss the R-Gaza rear crash bars, a taller person not sure yet. YMMV

Hope this helps.
Louis

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Can't wait to get those rear passenger lowering brackets.

My wife is 5'3".

Where are people purchasing these flat footboards?

Via my Samsung S8+ using Tapatalk

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Modification to the R-Gaza Saddle Bag Guards

So far I really like the R-Gaza guards. The engine guards are unobtrusive and when you do notice them they look like they belong there. The side bag guards (AKA elephant ears) are functional but since I typically don't ride with the side bags on unless I'm riding two-up, they are usually off the bike. When they are on they interfere with the passenger foot pegs...or at least they did until now. I fab'd up an adapter plate template out of sheet metal and then my brother got one of his guys to make two copies out of 1/4" steel. The plate allows the guards to pivot back closer to the bags and out of the way of the foot pegs. See pics below:

My wife sat on the back of the bike once they were installed and they no longer interfere with her trying to keep her feet on the rear foot pegs. Just in time for our annual 4-day ride to PA next week!

Zwartie
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wish I had a pair of these, thanks for the pics. PM sent.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 10:49 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Zwartie....
good post here showing the set back modification.
Good info to have.
Just installed a set on my FJR.
Went on easily with no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7960034F-A5F1-4735-94C1-8AC87D01CF5D_1594522119746.jpg (132.5 KB, 10 views)

2009 FJR1300A
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I went down on my 2005 FJR1300 with R-GAZA's crash bars and I only scratched my saddlebag, one fairing section and turn signal. All things that could be replaced. And not a scratch on my engine. Real testimony as the bike and I went down at highway speed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR - Accident Damage.jpg (323.5 KB, 7 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page