Battery Tender cable - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Battery Tender cable

Okay new here, Bought the FJR last September installed new battery. Now I have battery tender pigtails installed. I want to carry a power pack for the long trips. Just in case... Former boy scout here. But not sure if I can run a power pack thru the battery tender cables. Main concern is will I fry the pig tails or the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Battery Tender cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsesq View Post
Okay new here, Bought the FJR last September installed new battery. Now I have battery tender pigtails installed. I want to carry a power pack for the long trips. Just in case... Former boy scout here. But not sure if I can run a power pack thru the battery tender cables. Main concern is will I fry the pig tails or the battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lhsesq,

There should be an in-line fuse in the battery tender pigtail line. The manufacturer of the battery tender can advise you, if there is not. Do not replace it with a heavier fuse, and your wires should be okay.

There is nothing to say that you should connect the power pack and immediately try to start the engine. Give things a minute or two to equalize first, with everything turned off. Then the battery and the power pack will be both working together, not just the power pack alone. If you rush things, you may blow the in-line fuse, so have spare fuses of the correct value.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't think that's a good idea. The times I used a jumper pack I hooked directly to the battery with the clamps that came with it for the purpose. A battery tender lead isn't sized or rated for starter current.
FjrjrF and jtdunc like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

If by powerpack you are talking about the Lipo jump starter, yes and no...

Wire gauge dictates how much current can flow. for 1/2 amp 12volt the #12 or more likely #14 gauge wire of the battery tender pig tails is OK for that low amperage trickle charge.

But to connect a car battery to it and hit the starter... you would melt the insulation.
To connect the powerpack and hit the starter, same... BUT

But you could probably connect the powerpack and then energize it to transfer energy to the ship's battery and the disconnect before engaging the starter.

I have the battery tender pigtail connected. Under the seat you will find I have a battery tender extension cord AND the batter tender clamps. If I find i have a dead battery, I will connect all that up and hook to a running car TO CHARGE my cycle battery, to attempt a start.
**NOTE if you do this, you will have reverse polarity on the clamp COLORS so connect RED clamp to car's ground and BLACK to car's positive battery terminal... (connect black first to car's positive and tap red to ground to make sure it is little spark)(Big spark and it is backwards) Disconnect something and try to start from cycle battery.

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

btw, Welcome to the FJRowners forum!

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

The inline fuse for the tender is 7.5 amp. So yeah most likely right about blowing it. First bike I ever had with fairings really didn't feel like pulling them off to jump the bike... Guess its clamps then. Or bump starting in times of trouble. Haven't done that in years lol thanks for the help
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks being ghosting it for awhile.. Great stuff and good tech. Plus no attitudes. Nice to see.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That battery tender wire is like 16 ga. Biggest fuse you can put in there is a 30 amper, and it will blow immediately if you attempt to jump start that way. Starter draw is way big. Best you run a 10 ga pair of wires to the rear under the seat for convenience and jump it there. Put a 50 amp connector on there and get another one to make an extension (or in my case, booster cables). My 10. ga. also feeds my aux. fuse panel.
Here's what I have, but I haven't used it to jump my bike, always somebody else. Battery Tender lead is for charging the battery or for using my air compressor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020776 (Large).JPG (358.5 KB, 29 views)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for the info and picture. Kind of looks like my brother in laws hybrid under there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsesq View Post
The inline fuse for the tender is 7.5 amp. So yeah most likely right about blowing it. First bike I ever had with fairings really didn't feel like pulling them off to jump the bike... Guess its clamps then. Or bump starting in times of trouble. Haven't done that in years lol thanks for the help
If the battery is that flat, trying to bump start the FJR will not do anything but make you tired and sweaty.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page