Battery Tender cable - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 PM
FJR Top Gun

In ideal conditions, the starter draw is between 70 and 90 amps.

It can go much higher especially if the grounds are dirty.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
That battery tender wire is like 16 ga. Biggest fuse you can put in there is a 30 amper, and it will blow immediately if you attempt to jump start that way. Starter draw is way big. Best you run a 10 ga pair of wires to the rear under the seat for convenience and jump it there. Put a 50 amp connector on there and get another one to make an extension (or in my case, booster cables). My 10. ga. also feeds my aux. fuse panel.
Here's what I have, but I haven't used it to jump my bike, always somebody else. Battery Tender lead is for charging the battery or for using my air compressor.
Ray, despite your mistaken perception that the root beer brown is fast, it is a very nice looking color, and looking at that wiring i’ll Add that you do very nice work, good job !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
If the battery is that flat, trying to bump start the FJR will not do anything but make you tired and sweaty.
Now, there in lies a possibility...
You could connect you battery booster pack to that lite gauge pigtail, energize the pack and then try to *pop the clutch....

You would jumper the power to the ECM and ignition, allowing a start, if it is possible.

FWIW, contrary to my younger year concepts, I now know that you don't *pop the clutch in 1st gear, but rather a higher gear like 3rd or 4th. Much easier...

If its got teats or tires, your bound to have trouble with it...
Yamaha 07' 1300-AW
Yamaha 79' XS1100-SF

Kurt

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

True. The battery is new. Just looking to prevent any future troubles... And i know from past experience when bump starting is a waste of time..
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:27 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
That battery tender wire is like 16 ga. Biggest fuse you can put in there is a 30 amper, and it will blow immediately if you attempt to jump start that way. Starter draw is way big. Best you run a 10 ga pair of wires to the rear under the seat for convenience and jump it there. Put a 50 amp connector on there and get another one to make an extension (or in my case, booster cables). My 10. ga. also feeds my aux. fuse panel.
Here's what I have, but I haven't used it to jump my bike, always somebody else. Battery Tender lead is for charging the battery or for using my air compressor.
Ray's bike is ready for the "apocalypse", but he can out run it with that Root Beer rocket! LOL
RaYzerman likes this.

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page