Motovation Frame Sliders - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Motovation Frame Sliders

I've been on the fence to install some type of body protection on my 05 FJR. Since choices are limited on the Gen 1 bikes I haven't decided which one to go with. So a few days ago I found a set of Motovation sliders on Craigslist for less then 1/2 off retail. I contacted the seller to find out they are new but would not come with install instructions. I contacted Motovation which were no help...discontinued item and had no idea on install instructions..weird I thought. Any I offered the seller $25 and he mailed them to me. They came today and they seem to be a good quality product. I'm not sure what the instructions would say but I know I do have to drill the fairings ..just not sure how to get the right alignment before drilling. Their is an inch or more between plastics and bolt mount.
Has anyone on the forums installed these sliders before?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangair2 View Post
I've been on the fence to install some type of body protection on my 05 FJR. Since choices are limited on the Gen 1 bikes I haven't decided which one to go with. So a few days ago I found a set of Motovation sliders on Craigslist for less then 1/2 off retail. I contacted the seller to find out they are new but would not come with install instructions. I contacted Motovation which were no help...discontinued item and had no idea on install instructions..weird I thought. Any I offered the seller $25 and he mailed them to me. They came today and they seem to be a good quality product. I'm not sure what the instructions would say but I know I do have to drill the fairings ..just not sure how to get the right alignment before drilling. Their is an inch or more between plastics and bolt mount.
Has anyone on the forums installed these sliders before?
I think the instructions would have had you place something on the bolt that would mark/paint/ink the inside of the fairing, and use that mark to drill.

If the bolt is steel, you might be able to use a magnet to find it.

In either case, make the initial hole small and figure out if you need to make the final hole a little offset from that one.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
I think the instructions would have had you place something on the bolt that would mark/paint/ink the inside of the fairing, and use that mark to drill.

If the bolt is steel, you might be able to use a magnet to find it.

In either case, make the initial hole small and figure out if you need to make the final hole a little offset from that one.
Very good suggestion..I think I have some short pencil shape magnets to pin point location before drilling. Also wonder if instructions called out a torque setting and maybe thread lock😕..I would think maybe 40 to 50 ft. Lbs.?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Also wonder if instructions called out a torque setting and maybe thread lock😕..I would think maybe 40 to 50 ft. Lbs.?
I would torque to factory specifications. Threadlock is not often used on the engine, but anti-sieze IS. If your factory bolts come out with white stuff on them, you ABSOLUTELY want anti-sieze on the new ones. I've been told you should apply less torque then since the anti-sieze functions as a lubricant.

Wait a day or two and people who've done sliders like yours will chime in with actual experience and hard-earned recommendations

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
No one else chiming in?

I have the 2005 FSM and a Haynes. If you can post a picture of the bolt in place, I can look up the factory torque specification.

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig61 View Post
No one else chiming in?

I have the 2005 FSM and a Haynes. If you can post a picture of the bolt in place, I can look up the factory torque specification.
Thanks..I can do that either Wednesday or Thursday when I will be able to do that. I plan on installing this coming weekend.
Maybe not many on the forum with "cut mount" sliders. I'm guessing not many interested in cutting their fairings to install...hence why they have been discontinued😕
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Maybe not many on the forum with "cut mount" sliders. I'm guessing not many interested in cutting their fairings to install...hence why they have been discontinued😕
There was a different slider kit that had a plate that would offset the slider mount to one of the gaps in the Gen I fairing. But I think your style was more common. Things are most likely discontinued because not many people upgrade 14 year old motorcycles.

I really want someone who knows to weigh in on anti-seize and the torque adjustment...

2005 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Sliders 1.jpg

So these are the sliders I bought. ..and again I'm on the fence. Not sure this is the way I want to go. a bit hesitant in drilling 2" holes in both sides of my fairings. Since not much feed back on experienced slider owners ( thank you Ludwig61!) I may post them on ebay and go with R-Gaza guards and wait a couple of months for delivery.

Last edited by sangair2; 08-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Those IIRC were part number FSY05R for the MV cut kit. Long ago back in my dealership days, one of the tech's would put a tube of lipstick on the hole where the bolt went, then put the cowling in place....hence marking the spot to drill. But from there, the rest escapes me.

2007 Black Cherie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I don't know if this is helpful, but I installed T-Rex Racing frame sliders on my 2016 FJR, and I really like them. No cutting required. This link takes you to the ones for the 2005 model, which also don't require cutting or drilling your faring.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2001-20...ders-p/n69.htm

These look different than mine, and at $90, they are reasonable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page