Nelson Rigg Commuter Tailbag - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Nelson Rigg Commuter Tailbag

This goes in the category of "why didn't I do this sooner?". I recently picked up one of these tailbags for the FJR and I will likely be picking up the larger touring version for my wife's Majesty. I have been quite pleased with the build quality and the extra packing space this bag affords me. While I was functioning fine with just the side cases for my daily commute, having the tailbag has given me more options for packing things.

Just thought I would share in case it helps someone else

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
two_wheeled and Redfish like this.

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Farkle Trainee

Looks very good back there. I personally resisted the idea of a top case for a long time. Pop refused to add one, said it made his FJR "Look like a damned GoldWing".

Once we tried a top case there was no going back.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Love my pervious generation, it had the side pockets. When staying at a hotel just pop the seat off and inside it goes.

2016A, V-Strom DL1000, R1, R6, SV650 x 2, SS250HD

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I love my Nelson Rigg tail bag. I have a large one that was my main storage option (tank bag doesn't hold much) on my YZF600. Transplanted perfectly onto the FJR for use on longer trips. It's an extra step to reattach it to the rear seat every morning but it really only takes a few minutes. Nice to be able to take the whole thing off and bring it right inside.

I had to buy some straps to attach it to the rear seat just like you did. I recommend putting small strips of electrical tape on the bottom edge of the seat where the straps contact. After one 2600 mile trip I already see the straps wearing on the seat, eventually it will wear through. Wish I had thought of it beforehand. I do cinch it very tight though because I have a bigger bag loaded heavy.
Redfish and Sete Bond like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have four of them. I've owned all three "generations". I currently have two of the intermediate size and one of the big size of the new generation.

I had a zipper start pulling apart on one of the early ones. When I bought one of the new ones I noticed it had a lifetime warranty. So I called and discussed the zipper problem with them. They said it was covered and they can't repair the zipper so they would replace it with a new one. So I filed a warranty claim and sent it to them. Two weeks later a new generation showed up. Great product and great service!
Redfish likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2017 KTM Superduke GT
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Nelson Rigg

Looks nice, which size is that one, Sport or Touring ?
Thanks, Mike

The two most useless things to a rider are the braking distance behind you and nine-tenths of a second ago.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

say, has anyone found a way to flatten out the gap, with foam or something under the tail bag ??
i have the same bag, and a laam seat, the seat has a little dish to it, and the bag bows out pretty badly.

debating like a 2" foam that would compress to fill in the gap, could spray paint(?) the edge black to blend better.
interesting about covering the strap where it contacts the seat. thanks for that tip.

16ES
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I've got the same bag, it's well made and fits FJR quite well. I used it couple times, but don't take it on every trip. Saddle bags + tank bag usually holds enough stuff for a 5-7 day ride.

2016 FJR1300A
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBruns View Post
Looks nice, which size is that one, Sport or Touring ?
Thanks, Mike
Mine is the Commuter which is the mid sized bag. My daughter is using the larger Touring bag which is much bigger than the commuter. Between the 2, I think the commuter is better for daily use but if you are going on a long trip the touring bag would be an excellent option. I use mine everyday for my commute and I have been amazed at how much it holds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2015 FJR1300A
2006 Majesty YP400
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

For those who need to fiddle attaching/unattaching a tail bag, Nelson Rigg has this that might help.
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/nr-usa-detail

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in