Nelson Rigg Commuter Tailbag - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Looks very good back there. I personally resisted the idea of a top case for a long time. Pop refused to add one, said it made his FJR "Look like a damned GoldWing".

Once we tried a top case there was no going back.
Thanks for sharing @wczimmerman .

@Redfish points out a good point - capacity and function.

If you bike commute with a laptop as I'm required, you'll need more than a tailbag. I love my huge Tourmaster 14L tank bag and used it for commuting until I had to carry a laptop an more gear. I now just thrown my full backpack into my top trunk. But it is much more expensive because of the rear mount and the top trunk.

But a tailbag is a great option for those who don't have to carry an office with them.

Glad you shared. Though about one as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190524-074818.jpg (199.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg tourmaster 14L.jpg (59.5 KB, 16 views)

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A topcase is more than capacity. Itís just more convenient to load and unload at or above waist level than to deal with side opening cases at your knees. I use side cases for less frequently accessed items or overflow when the topcase is full. Itís not like I canít take the Givi off with the press of one button when I want to run without it.
jblanken64, jtdunc and Sete Bond like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

When I think it's time to add more rear end space, I'm going w/this bag: https://www.denniskirk.com/saddlemen...prd/506845.sku

Won't lose use of the rear seat and it slips right over the Garauld passenger backrest.

I've got a mid-size tank bag too but for basic utility, I've found the hard cases are generally sufficient for day to day operations.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The review helped me, out of a hunerd and five bucks. I had been needing something to carry small stuff handily and had used my BMW tailbag on occasion. It didn't really fit well and, if I remember correctly was over a hundred and eighty dollars. The side luggage is nice, but for something small and easy to access, the tailbag suits me just fine.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
... Itís just more convenient to load and unload at or above waist level than to deal with side opening cases at your knees. I use side cases for less frequently accessed items Ö
I have a NR tank bag (with straps) - 15 litres (expandable to 20) - on the rear seat, for small items I want to access frequently or quickly. It's convenient to get at whatever is in the bag, and the items are easier to find because the bag is smaller than a side case and has a number of organizer pockets. And, I can leave the side cases at home on day rides when I really don't need them.

Thanks for the tip about protecting the seat where the straps might rub on it.

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a NR tailbag on the FJR and on the Multistrada. Itís very handy. My only complaint is the rain cover completely fell apart on a 10 day trip. Bag would absorb water like a sponge. I wonder if itís covered under warranty? What I did was spray the bag with Camp Dry. I must have put six coats on and now itís reasonably waterproof.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:30 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll stick a suitable plastic bag in an off-corner just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page