Fuzeblocks FZ-1 forward fitment - Gen 3? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
dem
Training wheels fitted!

Fuzeblocks FZ-1 forward fitment - Gen 3?

Hey crew, in the process of farkling up a new-to-me 2014. Ordered up all my usual electrics: voltage monitor, signal dynamics voltage LED, GPS, dual panel mount heat-troller, powered tank bag and the FZ-1 Fuzeblock.

Searching seems to say most people put their power distribution under the seat.. but all my stuff is up front. The Fuzeblock is fairly small (L 3.25" x W 2.5" x H 1.25" or 8.25cm x 6.35 x 3.175) compared to some of the other options.

Has anyone mounted one some where forward? I have the whole bike apart right now to change all the fluids, etc. so now is the time to run wires.

Thanks!

Ref: https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblock...Block_p_1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I initially considered to place mine somewhere up front, close to battery, but reviewing the space available under the fairing and considering the ease of access (e.g. to replace fuse, or add a circuit) I ended up installing it all the way back, under passenger seat. Using smaller lithium battery might give enough space to install it in battery tray, but I'm running stock lead acid, so the space is very tight.
JohnC likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yeah, I always think what it's like doing something at night on the side of the road. Putting the fuze block somewhere that isn't readily accessible isn't smart.
JohnC likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

I put mine under the seat in a waterproof container (which I aptly drilled holes in to insert the cabling ((The case was a few bucks at Walmart and I meant it really to keep as much water away vs waterproof...)) But I digress....

While some of my stuff is in front, I really think the majority is closer to the seat. My GPS is came with the long cords and is hard-mounted on the front dash. I ran a second cable up to the steering column with the USB port. I also have the glove compartment connection for anything else.

My heated gear connection is close to the seat. Also, the direct line to plug in the charger - though the bike has never sat long enough.... . I also have a secondary USB port behind me, where I can charge up my Sena while using. (Irony - using a cable to charge a bluetooth device while using said device) ~It goes out after 12 hours of continues usage, and I'm only halfway there....

I am not running anything vital through the Fuzeblock that, if it were to fail in the middle of the night, I would have to immediately pull over. Of course, in 0˙weather one doesn't want the heated gear to fail....

I've seen them mounted underneath the Dash shelf (Another farkle), under the front seat, passenger seat... You can't really go wrong. Think about how you'll utilize it and where it makes the most sense for you to access it.
FJRChuck likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:18 PM
FJR Top Gun

On the Gen 1 I put mine under the seat close to the tank, and I regret it. If I was doing it again I'd put it further back because it would make access a lot easier.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
dem
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks everyone.. I'll do some experimenting in placement I guess. I always take backups for anything super critical - like I run my battery tender cable direct to the battery.. then carry a SAE to Coax adapter for my heated gear if something goes wrong, Cigarette to USB charger for other device backup, etc.

I've "only" done two 5000 mile trips on my previous bike, but I plan to do the lower 48 states on the FJR.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:43 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I agree with Carlson and Russ. I had a hard time finding a place for the little Skene controller up front, let alone the Fuzeblock.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
dem
Training wheels fitted!

After eyeballing all over.. I think you're all right. Absent doing some carving on the battery holder/tray and moving relays(?) around, doesn't seem doable. Any special routing trick for getting from under the seat to the front? I assume on top of the heat shield in some fashion?

I don't actually enjoy farkling, I just want it done right and never touch it again!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:31 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
After eyeballing all over.. I think you're all right. Absent doing some carving on the battery holder/tray and moving relays(?) around, doesn't seem doable. Any special routing trick for getting from under the seat to the front? I assume on top of the heat shield in some fashion?

I don't actually enjoy farkling, I just want it done right and never touch it again!
Nothing special, just follow the cable runs. There's one going forward on each side of the tank. The right side ends at the battery, the left side continues on. Remove the tank and heat shield, you'll see them.

Russ
2007A

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just a quick question on the subject of fuze blocks....Does anyone use the Ardmore kit to provide that switched power to the relay function?

https://admorelighting.com/product/a-fjr3-adapter/

2006 FJR1300A
Central NJ, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page