Seat comfort ideas - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Seat comfort ideas

Im still trying things to get my Laam seat more comfortable. Seth has adjusted it (long story) but it still tilts me forward. Ive tried a few things, but this last one seems to have possibilities.
With the adjusting tray removed, there is a lot of movement in the seat, which will allow for the front to be raised about 1/2" if the front two rubber feet were that much longer.
Anyone found a source for differing lengths of these feet ? Failing that, i think ill silicone a spacer onto the frame.
Any ideas appreciated.
Anyone in Ohio/Michigan have a Russell ? Im thinking about going that way, but would love to sit on one first.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Seat comfort ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
With the adjusting tray removed, there is a lot of movement in the seat, which will allow for the front to be raised about 1/2" if the front two rubber feet were that much longer. Anyone found a source for differing lengths of these feet ? Failing that, i think ill silicone a spacer onto the frame. Any ideas appreciated.
Anyone in Ohio/Michigan have a Russell ? Im thinking about going that way, but would love to sit on one first.
Kiwiaudio,

Most hardware/home improvement stores will have various sizes of rubber feet for sale. Silicone will not do the job, so pick up some decent glue that adheres to metal.

Russel seats are built individually to fit the rider, so the owner would need to be about your size and weight, to get it right for you. Some riders can do with less, but the word here is that Russel makes a great seat. I have one, and I'm happy with it, but it sits you higher (usually). Tell Russel if you have any problem with getting feet on the ground now; they can work with you on that.
bounce and FjrjrF like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (US$25.00).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks Red !

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
Im still trying things to get my Laam seat more comfortable. Seth has adjusted it (long story) but it still tilts me forward. Ive tried a few things, but this last one seems to have possibilities.
With the adjusting tray removed, there is a lot of movement in the seat, which will allow for the front to be raised about 1/2" if the front two rubber feet were that much longer.
Anyone found a source for differing lengths of these feet ? Failing that, i think ill silicone a spacer onto the frame.
Any ideas appreciated.
Are you sure it's the seat?

I felt the same way until I fitted bar-risers.
Ludwig61 likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I have Helibars which help, and just fitted a peg lowering kit, which helped a little more. I have soupys links lowering the rear 1/2" and forks at max extension. That helped a little more.
Yesterday, I put 1/4" spacers on the frame under the front seat rubbers with no tray. Test ride today !!

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Kiwi, I think I'm in the same boat as you! I've got a RDL which I sent back as well to have the seat "pulling forward" feel adjusted. One thing that has helped was removing the plastic tray as you've done, BUT also removing the back 2 rubber feet. I kept the front 2 feet in place, which puts that seat at a much better position.

In the end, you really are trying to fight the bike's "spirit". It's a sport tourer. Probably the best, most reliable bang for the buck out there. But, if you personally aren't built for that type of forward lean, it's nearly impossible to resolve. (Or, I haven't had the luck I've been trying for a couple years....)

Good luck, and let me know how it works.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

I bought a used laam and I had to play with the positioning as you are trying, but for the opposite reason....it's to low in the back for my liking. Here is a pic of mine, you show me yours lol, maybe we could swap... if u were interested I would take some more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fall fjr.jpg (155.3 KB, 7 views)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I don't know if the seat is the whole problem. I have a Seat Concepts seat not a Lamm but it's a similar design that is dished out in the rear and widened. It's a big improvement over the stock seat but I still feel like I'm being pushed in to the tank even with my heli bars fully pulled back. But when I put my feet on the highway pegs the problem disappears and I can sit anywhere on the seat comfortably. And it's not that I'm pushing myself back using the highway pegs I believe it's that they change the angle of my legs especially my thighs. Your mileage may vary.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Tim, With the tray removed, the back feet of my seat pan are not resting on the frame rail at all. The square white plastic part of the pan beside the catch touches down first. It has a formed plastic locating pin inside it.
I had thought about grinding that down until the back feet touched the frame, but have not gone there yet. Didnt want to do that until a last resort, but you are right in that it will tilt the seat back more.
Your comment about the bikes spirit aligns with many conversations ive had with myself. I understand the FJR and all sport tourers are compromise bikes by their very nature and do not lean heavily in either direction. With our preference for either end of the spectrum, all we can do is try to make it fit us, and all our quirky body parts, and I think its fun to do so. Ive had to adjust every bike ive ever had (save my old kawasaki klx250), so evidently i am abnormal. Wife will chime in here undoubtedly !
AND - No two butts are ever the same - sounds like something beavis and butthead would say !

Roddy, ill have to zoom your pic and take a good look at your seat _ ill get back to you asap.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by Kiwiaudio; Yesterday at 04:52 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You could also glue some aluminum flat bar pieces on the frame to build it up in say 1/8" thicknesses..

FYI, if you remove the bumpers/thin them, the seat will likely sit on the side panels and eventually crack them at the front upper tab... careful out there. Project bike had that feature so I had to get new(ish) side panels.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in