will these fit my 2018A - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

will these fit my 2018A

https://soupysperformance.com/soupys...ing-links.html

they say second Gen, but also says they fit 2006-2019

I have to do something about the height of this bike. Had it a year now, and just not comfortable with the height at stops lights/signs, parking lots etc. Already dropped it once turning around in a gravel parking lot. I'm 5'6"with a 28" inseam on a good day. Would feel a lot more comfortable with it 1 inch lower. Already have the seat in low position, forks dropped approx 1/2" and wearing waffle stomper boots....(and still tippy toed). If I could get the balls of both feet down I would feel much safer.
2014oldred and vzhq16 like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Narrow the seat for a start, then you can shave the foam to get it a bit lower.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thought about shaving the seat, but I also have 2 bad knees and don't want to increase the angle of bend any more than they already are

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yes, the lowering links will fit. Look into the adjustable side stand as well.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm a little taller than you are but I wanted to go with an RDL for touring which made the height of the bike uncomfortable for me. Echoing Russ, Soupy's links will fit and do work very well. I chose to grind my side stand a bit so it swings a bit further forward. If you have the $'s for the adjustable side stand as well, that would be the way to go. I'm just not sure how the side stand switch integrates with it. I bought a spare side stand off ebay for $25 if I ever want to go back to stock.
2014oldred and vzhq16 like this.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Thought about shaving the seat, but I also have 2 bad knees and don't want to increase the angle of bend any more than they already are
The solution for my bad knees were canyon cages and hiway pegs. Makes a big difference.

2016 Yamaha FJR1300 (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ferret, I used the soupy’s links to lower my bike 1/2” to compensate for my 30” (short) inseam, I also removed the plastic tray under the seat (Laam)to lower that bit more as well. No issues at all, big c’s Grinding the sidestand to swing further forward is a good solution but quite frankly mine at 1/2” lower works fine w/o any issues. I can now sit fully flat footed at a light, much better !

I also have a repaired knee that needs to stretch out and relief was found through garauld’s excellent highway pegs, i’ll add that the edge of the fairing does get in the way but they do work. You may ask Gary if he could make the peg extensions a bit longer to move the pegs out a bit to avoid the fairing. Hope this helps, let us know what you end up with.
2014oldred, vzhq16 and G P Jones like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Not a big fan of highway pegs, they are always too high and too far forward for me. If I had pegs about 4" forward of the stock pegs and a bit lower I would like that lol

Few more questions about these lowering links.

Do they change the leverage ratio for the rear shock? ie: is it going to make the rear shock seem stiffer or softer? Will I need to alter the settings I currently have to compensate for anything?

Would I want to make sure I lower the front an equal amount as the back is lowered? OR is a little less in the front OK since I don't think I can get more than 1/2" lower in the front without going to bar risers?

I am not an aggressive rider so not worried about clearance issues, and don't plan on lowering it more than 3/4" in the rear. Just need to get a little more boot on the ground for my personal confidence in certain situations.

Thanks for all the helpful replies so far.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

also if you wanted to lower the rear say 3/4" would you just measure and make the adjustable links 3/4" shorter than the stock links eye to eye?

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have some answers for you. I have both the soupys links and the adjustable sidestand. The switch operates flawlessly with the sidestand. The adjustable foot does not actually move that much, and i cannot get it to sit flat. Keep an eye on the two foot bolts as they like to come loose. I just today loctited them (blue 242) so we will see how that goes. The dogbones do not adjust in a 1 to 1 ratio. I just kept on measuring seat height to the ground as i moved the links equal turns to get the difference i want. Measure standard bone length and seat height before you start. I did this with the bike in a wheel chock so it wasnt on either stand. Without one, I guess youll need a patient couple of buddies to hold it up.
I ended up lowering the rear an inch with no discernable difference in shock feel on the road. I also left the forks at full extension which should affect geometry i guess, but again, i felt no difference.
I fitted Murphs peg lowering kit today but have not ridden yet. I can tell you that the heel of a large left boot will hit the rather long tang of the adjustable sidestand with murphs kit. My size 11 barely misses it.
Happy to answer any questions if i can.
rbentnail and BigC like this.

Kiwi
1974 Yamaha DT175
1976 Suzuki RM250A
1978 Yamaha TT500
1980 Kawasaki KLX250
1984 Honda 650Nighthawk
1998 BMW R1100RT
2013 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by Kiwiaudio; 06-20-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page