11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Getting the height right

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
Ferret, I used the soupy’s links to lower my bike 1/2” to compensate for my 30” (short) inseam, I also removed the plastic tray under the seat (Laam)to lower that bit more as well. No issues at all, big c’s Grinding the sidestand to swing further forward is a good solution but quite frankly mine at 1/2” lower works fine w/o any issues. I can now sit fully flat footed at a light, much better !

I also have a repaired knee that needs to stretch out and relief was found through garauld’s excellent highway pegs, i’ll add that the edge of the fairing does get in the way but they do work. You may ask Gary if he could make the peg extensions a bit longer to move the pegs out a bit to avoid the fairing. Hope this helps, let us know what you end up with.
I have a 2009 that is just a wee bit taller than I'd like. (I'm 5' 8" on a good day, in the morning) and can't quite flat foot it even with some pretty tall tennys on. I bought some lowering dog bones off of eBay but I've been hesitant to have them installed because of concerns about the side stand, center stand and handling. From what I'm seeing on this thread, I don't really have much to worry about. I like the idea of grinding the side stand a bit to get it to go further forward. What about the center stand? Will that still be usable if I lower the back about 25mm? Where are y'all finding canyon cages and highway pegs? I poked around and only found one set of "engine guards" that I'm not even sure will fit. I think they're from Russia or something. The bike I bought has pegs that are mounted on plated attached to the sides of the engine but they're too close in. My thighs rub the faring and it's leaving bruises. Looking for some of this groups awesome advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzhq16 View Post
I have a 2009 that is just a wee bit taller than I'd like. (I'm 5' 8" on a good day, in the morning) and can't quite flat foot it even with some pretty tall tennys on. I bought some lowering dog bones off of eBay but I've been hesitant to have them installed because of concerns about the side stand, center stand and handling. From what I'm seeing on this thread, I don't really have much to worry about. I like the idea of grinding the side stand a bit to get it to go further forward. What about the center stand? Will that still be usable if I lower the back about 25mm? Where are y'all finding canyon cages and highway pegs? I poked around and only found one set of "engine guards" that I'm not even sure will fit. I think they're from Russia or something. The bike I bought has pegs that are mounted on plated attached to the sides of the engine but they're too close in. My thighs rub the faring and it's leaving bruises. Looking for some of this groups awesome advice!
The center stand is just about unusable for me and I've lowered it about an inch in the rear. If I want to put mine on the centerstand, I have to strip the bags and top case off relieving as much weight as possible but it's still difficult. I guess I could try the trick of rolling up on a chunk of board with the rear wheel to elevate the rear a bit. As far as the Canyon cages go, MC Enterprises is out of business so it's either find them used or go with the Russian flavor you mentioned or T-Rex. I have the T-Rex crash bars and they're only 7/8" in diameter which caused me some issue's with the typical foot peg clamp. I bought these off ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Of-Han...MAAOSwfCpbH0Zz and they work great. I should say they specifically work great with this style of footpeg: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/530...ation-footpegs The clamp looks a little weird but I'm more into function than pretty so..

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ferret,
On my 14a I had the bike on the center stand and adjusted the links equal amounts until I raised the rear tire to ground clearance 1/2in and then as bigC had suggested checked the seat height when it was on the ground to verify. On my bike the centerstand use did change a small amount in effort but it is still the easiest to use c-stand I have ever used. VZHQ16, you may need to change to a gen3 c-stand as I believe they changed them from the earlier versions to make them easier to use.

Ferret, on the front I raised my fork tubes in the triple clamps 1/2” as well trying to keep it a 1-1 ratio to maintain the oe steering geometry, raising it a bit more should quicken the steering response a bit or a little less should dampen it a bit. This had no effect at all on the handlebar location at all, or anything with the shock response either that I can tell. The only difference is that with what I did I can now completely flat foot at a light even in my flattest tenny’s. The lower height seems to have lowered the Cg a bit as well that seems to have quickened the handling as well but may just be my imagination. Not sure

I don’t think you’ll regret doing any of this so let us know what you think.

Vzhq16, I see from your header that you’re located in Franklin Ind., I have relatives there and will say that it’s a great little town, lot’s of good people there.
the Ferret likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

All good info. Thanks Passx. The measuring the tire gap was a good idea. Did it verify with the seat measurement to be 1/2"?

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Last edited by the Ferret; 06-22-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ferret, yes it did, at least close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades 😁😁

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
All good info. Thanks Passx. The measuring the tire gap was a good idea. Did it verify with the seat measurement to be 1/2"?
good deal. Thanks

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Soupy links came in today. Came with 2 large bolts and nuts. Now I need to make an appt at the shop to have them put on. Hopefully these will do the trick, and make me feel a tad more comfortable, because otherwise I'm starting to really like this bike.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Last edited by the Ferret; 06-29-2019 at 03:13 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Appointment for 9:30 am on the 17th for installation.

Anything I should tell the tech that will help him besides measuring from ground to tire. Anything wonky about installation? Grease bolts or anything?

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If you haven't already... FJR suspension linkage should be greased at least the first time to prevent water intrusion and to supplement the teeny bit of lube Yammy put in there. Have them remove the shock mount bolt, then you can pivot the suspension link down to get the bolts out of the front dogbone mount, remove all the bushings, get some good grease in all the bearings and coat the bushings lightly, re-insert, install everything... you're just replacing your dogbones with Soupy's.
Note, you cannot lube the front bushing without removing the centerstand, bit of a process, need a skyhook to hang the bike from, leave it for another day as that one is up high and less likely to be a problem.
Someone posted the centerstand bolts on '18 was installed the correct (desired) way (nuts outboard) so you don't have to cut the bolts off..... maybe take a pic or verify. That would make it much easier to remove the centerstand if the bike is suspended from the aforementioned skyhook.......
This whole thing is less than an hour job..... especially if you've done it before.
AS for the height, I'd not lower the bike too much. Half inch will do wonders, try that. Lower the front also by raising the forks in the triple tree by the same amount... another half hour job, all that's needed is to loosen the triple tree pinch bolts, adjust fork position, retighten pinch bolts.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Got my Soupy's adjustable lowering links installed today and lowered 1/2". Front has been lowered 3/8" before starting to run into wires on l/h side of handlebar. Side stand still works fine,without bike being too erect and I can still get it on the centerstand by myself.

Funny thing is my wife and I measured the seat heights of my CB1100 which fits me good, and the FJR which I find a bit tall. 2' metal level across drivers seat (bike held upright, level bubble in center, so it's level) and steel rule measured from concrete garage floor to bottom of metal level. The CB measured 30 7/8". The FJR 30 3/8". HUH? The FJR is 1/2" LOWER than the CB? No way, I thought. Measured twice. Yep! The FJR must just be so wide at the front of the seat makes it hard to reach the ground with my stubby legs spread apart.

Then took it for an 82 mile test ride (and to meet my wife and daughter for lunch) accompanied by sometimes torrential rain from Tropical Storm Barry. Dang it rained hard lol. Felt bad about dripping water all over the floor at Ruby Tuesday's.

Anyhow, I can reach a little better without resorting to KISS boots, and think I will be able to live with this.
RaYzerman likes this.

2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page