• 2 Post By jakfrost
  • 1 Post By jakfrost
  • 1 Post By stevebmw
  • 1 Post By bmw850gs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Schuberth C3 Pro + Packtalk Slim

Well I certainly wasn't expecting the installation to go as well as it did...if it went at all. I couldn't find a uTube vid or any other form of guidance for this installation, and the helmet for sure wasn't on the 'approved list' as issued by Cardo.
So I took the plunge and purchased the Packtalk Slim to see if I could make it work...the 'no return on comm systems' not withstanding, gulp. I chose that unit for the 'new and enhanced' voice command system and the ability to say 'Hey Siri' and have her do the heavy lifting while in motion. 'Hey Cardo' works pretty well also, too bad the FM doesn't...but I knew that going in. Shame there is no way to connect the built in FM antenna in the C3 Pro. Not a show stopper anyway.
The difficult part was fitting the 'Slim' control module to the lower left side of the helmet. The one video on Revzilla or what ever its called, ( **** that guy talks fast! ), mentioned that the 'alternate' mounting option, velcro-ing it to the side of the helmet was by far the least desirable option, and he was right. Tried that first and it was not only butt ugly, it practically fell off in my hands. Soooo, I went to work with my razor cutter and inlet-ed the rubber just the width of the 'Slim' mounting bracket and slid it into place. Everything else went as planned, but warning, take a rest before attemting to re-install the neck pad with the little pin at each end. It will take a fair amount of patience, and time, to ease it back into place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0200.jpg (115.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0201.jpg (125.1 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.jpg (91.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (141.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0208.jpg (167.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0209.jpg (205.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0210.jpg (142.5 KB, 76 views)
L'ajre and Crux7 like this.

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:17 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Not to hijack your thread but how do you like the “slim” I see you have the boom mic mounted how’s that work with the modular helmet. I have a HJC modular and I’ve been looking at the “slim” but Iam a little reluctant to drop the $$ having never seen or used one

1990 Harley Davidson FLHTC, 1999 KLR 650, 2016 FJR 1300A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff557 View Post
Not to hijack your thread but how do you like the slim I see you have the boom mic mounted hows that work with the modular helmet. I have a HJC modular and Ive been looking at the slim but Iam a little reluctant to drop the $$ having never seen or used one
No hijack...legitimate question. Drove the bike with the newly installed comms for the first time today, had lots of problems with simple phone calls in the beginning, 'Hey Siri' worked great to request a call be placed, the phone would ring once or twice then the Slim cancelled the call...huh? Then it continued to ring but at such a low volume I couldn't hear it but did a couple of times hear a VERY FAINT voice saying "hello, hello, hello"...very frustrating.
During lunch at the turnaround point I thought I would try something, and went back to the bike and 'un-enabled' the bluetooth on the Garmin, which had been 'pairing' as a 'second device' with the Slim. So then on the return flight the system worked sort of as advertised. The 'Hey Siri' didn't work worth crap but by touching the 'initiate call' button on the Slim the call went thru and both myself and the caller were heard perfectly.
So at least that part works. I need to spend a little more time to familiarize myself with all the features and functions of the device. More to follow in days to come...

Jim
L'ajre likes this.

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:04 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

What Iam most interested in is the radio, streaming music from my I phone and hopefully using Siri/google maps for navigation. Not real interested in making phone calls but texting would be nice. I ride solo most the time but comm with the passenger would be nice. I don’t have any friends 😳 so bike to bike comm isn’t a big deal

1990 Harley Davidson FLHTC, 1999 KLR 650, 2016 FJR 1300A
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Jim, I just "upgraded" to the Garmin 396 LMT-S. One of the main reasons I went with the newer Garmin was to get the Bluetooth turn by turn direction to my headset. Well, that works as does the Pandora function BUT if you share music with passenger OR initiate an intercom com call with passenger the turn by turn and or Pandora do not play together at all. One or the other stops or stutters. This is a result of the Cardo Freecom 2 I am using not being on the Garmin compatible list. The Packtalk Slim is on the list but I am hesitant to drop that kind of coin without knowing that-
Turn by turn from the Garmin works WITH Pandora or other music streaming AND being able to share music with passenger.
If you get a chance could you comment on that along with any other observations? For now, I still think comms and navigation integration is stone age at best given the tech we have to work with. Show me a GPS that is as easy to use as google maps on a PC. You are able to drag a route around to adjust your path BUT you cannot add or save a route etc.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Hi, can I ask you please, how or what must be cutted on the helmet to place control unit?
Crux7 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I have the same question jakfrost
Crux7 likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Same Question too, Jakfrost, though I suspect I will work it out.

Great report, with the answer to a very important question for those of us with a Schuberth helmet or two.
On your report's basis (that it's possible) and pictures, I'll be getting a duo pack.
Cardo owe you!
As do the rest of us; Kudos!

PS: also an F850GS owner.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I’m interested in following your lead as well. I have an E1 and a cardo slim I’d like to install. Can you show maybe a photo on how you cut into the rubber? Did you have to cut the back out for the battery pack too? It came out perfectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page