R-Gaza experiences? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

R-Gaza experiences?

Found a thread from about a year ago - "Which crash bars" which I found very informative. I'm struggling with this same decision. In Canada the T-Rex bars are almost twice the price of R-Gaza. From this previous thread it seemed there were a few folks who have gone the R-Gaza route, and now a year later I'm curious if you're able to share your experience with the product and whether it's performing as hoped. Appreciate any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:40 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Hi nschloss,
I just purchased some crash bars from R-Gaza from eBay (literally this past weekend), so I don't know how much of a help I'll be, but I'll tell you where I am so far.

I had some questions about combining the shipping charges for two separate items on the same order, as shipping is $39.00 per item on eBay. Denis responded back to all of my emails within a 24-hour window, which is about what I was expecting due to the fact that he's on the other side of the planet. He offered to do a refund through pay-pal of the second shipping charge for me provided I ordered two items through eBay. I made my purchase on Friday, sent him another email that I had made the purchase with instructions on how to access my pay-pal account, and I had the refund in my account Saturday morning.

I can't give you any feedback yet on the product in terms of quality or fitment, but I will be happy to do so when the bars arrive. I'll post a couple of links below for what I ordered, if that helps any. The bars are not scheduled to be here for a four to six week shipping window, which is OK. As long as everything is upfront, I'm alright with that.

Here are the links to what I ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FJR1...53.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FJR1...53.m2749.l2649

Hope this helps!!

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
---20 Year Gap For Kids---
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks - look forward to hearing your experience! I'm thinking I may order some any day now myself as I'm worried about not having protection.
It's good to know they're helpful on shipping costs.

Current: 2016 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
Previous: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
Previous: 1989 Suzuki GS850G

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Just to update you on the saga, I received notification that my order shipped out today. Since it's not due until June sometime, I found that rather remarkable. I can only assume that getting packages out of customs in Russia is a somewhat time consuming affair...

I'll keep you posted when they arrive.

In terms of getting a cage for the bike, definitely do it! I've had my bike for literally five weeks now and have dropped it twice. I made the mistake of putting the seat into the high position when I bought it and have been dealing with only my toes on the ground when holding up the bike, which was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life. My first dump was girlfriend jumping on the bike before I was ready, from the high side of the bike, and down we went. My second dump was in a parking lot where the bike was at an odd angle, again out to the high side, so when I popped it off the center stand, it veered away from me and I just couldn't stop it. This bike is very top-heavy all by itself, and not having good traction when it starts to list to one side is just deadly.

I've put the bike seat back down to the low position, so now i'm pretty close to flat-footed when at a stop, so I feel more confident that I have better control over the bike, but it's still very heavy. If you have managed to maneuver the bike into parking the bike at an angle, you need to be very careful with it. I took a trip up to a little town in the hills near me called Mariposa, in California. It took me four tries to park the bike where I was comfortable with it due to the hilly terrain and un-level surfaces to park on.

Best of luck with your purchase.
Sete Bond likes this.

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
They've arrived

Hey nschloss,
The bars just arrived today in the mail.
Overall, they arrived in good shape. I think all the parts are still with them.
The box, however, was pretty beat up. I guess this what happens when your package gets to go through Russian shipping, but the box could have probably been a little bit secured better. The bars themselves were all wrapped in foam, so there appears to be no damage to the materials.
Don't know if I should complain too much though. They were scheduled to arrive between June 11th and June 25th, so they've arrived well ahead of schedule.
I'm going to try to put them on myself, and we'll see how it goes.
I'll send some pics of either my motorcycle in pieces and me crying, or everything put together.
Later!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190529_141935.jpg (277.3 KB, 25 views)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If I may suggest, before you install the main engine mount bolts, use some anti-seize on the threads to prevent future issues. Reduce the torque to about 29 as that is now a lubricated thread.
red and Sete Bond like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
If I may suggest, before you install the main engine mount bolts, use some anti-seize on the threads to prevent future issues. Reduce the torque to about 29 as that is now a lubricated thread.

Thanks for the advice.
Working on my bike is something that scares me more than I enjoy it, especially on critical areas.

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks for the update. WOW - that package really did take a beating! I've since ordered a set as well - supposed to be here any day now ...
Good luck with the install!

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:25 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Angry R-Gaza crash bars for FJR 1300AE 2018

Hi,

I bought some R-Gaza crash bars which say are OK for a 2018 FJR. I took them into a Yamaha main dealer as I couldn't work out how they would go on, only to be told that if they fitted them then parts of the fairing would have to be cut out!! Any thoughts on this please guys? Are they correct? If not any thoughts ideas on fitting please? Many thanks.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I bought, received and have installed R-Gaza engine and bag guards on my 2016 ES. They offer different engine guard versions, so you would have to advise which you purchased. I bought the ones as per the attached. They installed no problem, no adjustment required. Happy to share more info if you require it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190608_194301_1561438107205.jpg (223.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20190608_194622_1561438159863.jpg (358.0 KB, 31 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page